|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Hélène de Comarmond (PS)|
|2.78 km2 (1.07 sq mi)|
|• Density||11,000/km2 (28,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||43–108 m (141–354 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
During the Middle Ages, Cachan was referred to in Medieval Latin texts as Caticantum, later corrupted into Cachentum, Cachant, and then Cachan. Some understand Caticantum as meaning "singing of the cat", "mewing of the cat", but this is not certain. Some others see a connection with the verb "to hunt" (captiare in Vulgar Latin, chacier in Old French).
Cachan was originally a hamlet within the commune of Arcueil, later renamed Arcueil-Cachan. The commune of Cachan was created on 26 December 1922 when it seceded from the commune of Arcueil-Cachan, which was renamed back to Arcueil.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
- Arcueil - north
- Villejuif - east
- L'Haÿ-les-Roses - southeast
- Bourg-la-Reine - southwest
- Bagneux - west
- Six public preschools (écoles maternelles): Belle Image, Carnot, Coteau, Paul-Doumer, La Plaine, and Pont-Royal
- Five public elementaries: Belle Image, Carnot, Coteau, Paul-Doumer, La Plaine
- One private preschool and elementary: École Saint-Joseph
- Public junior high schools: Collège Victor-Hugo and Collège Paul-Bert
- Private junior high: Collège Saint-Joseph
- Public high schools/sixth-form colleges: Lycée Gustave Eiffel, Lycée Maximilien Sorre, Le foyer de Cachan
- Communes of the Val-de-Marne department
- École normale supérieure Paris-Saclay
- François Bazin (sculptor)Sculptor Cachan War Memorial
- "Populations légales 2019". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2021.
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Cachan, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- "Les établissements scolaires ." Cachan. Retrieved on September 7, 2016.
- "Etablissements secondaires ." Cachan. Retrieved on September 7, 2016.