Cache Acceleration Software
CAS manages using the SSD storage as a cache layer for slower storage data (eg spinning hard drives). A cached copy of recently used data from slower storage is kept in faster SSD storage to improve I/O performance. CAS entered Intel's product line as the result of Intel's August 2012 acquisition of a Canadian start-up company Nevex Virtual Technologies; Intel re-branded Nevex CacheWorks product to CAS with the release of version 2.0 in December 2012. Versions of Intel CAS are available for Windows Enterprise, Windows Workstation, and Linux.
CAS for Windows is an application-aware file-based cache, which can be tuned by system administrators. Additionally, it integrates with the operating system's buffer cache, creating a multi-tier cache architecture. CAS is also aware of some virtualization technologies like vMotion, maintaining a hot SSD cache during a VM migration.
CAS works with the enterprise-class Intel SSD products, such as the DC S3700 SATA drives and the DC P3700 NVMe PCI Express devices. It also works with cache devices across SANs. Intel CAS for Linux consists of a GPL'd source loadable kernel module paired with a closed source user-space admin configuration tool. The CAS for Linux version supports CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. The Windows Enterprise version currently runs only on the 64-bit flavors of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2012 R2; 32-bit versions are not currently supported. The Windows Workstation version currently runs on only the 64-bit flavors of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10; 32-bit versions are not currently supported.
Operating System and File System Support
Intel CAS for Linux
|CAS Version||Release Date||RHEL||CentOS||SLES||Ubuntu||Oracle Linux||Other Distros|
|2.0||Feb 2013||5.6, 6.1||11 SP1|
|2.6||Dec 2013||5.6, 5.9, 6.1, 6.4||11 SP1, SP2|
|2.7||Aug 2014||5.6-5.10, 6.1-6.5||6.5 (custom)||11 SP1, SP2|
|2.8||Dec 2014||5.6-5.11, 6.1-6.5, 7.0||6.5 (custom)||11 SP1-SP3|
|2.9||Jun 2015||5.11, 6.6, 7.0||6.6||11 SP1-SP3||Yes|
|3.0||Dec 2015||6.6, 7.0, 7.1||6.6, 7.0, 7.1||11 SP3||Yes|
|3.1||July 2016||6.6, 6.7, 7.0-7.2||6.6, 6.7, 7.0-7.2||11 SP4||14.04.3||6.6, 6.7||Yes|
Intel CAS for Windows Enterprise
|CAS Version||Release Date||Windows Server|
|2.0||Dec 2012||2008 R2|
|2.5||Oct 2013||2003 R2 SP2, 2008 R2 SP1, 2012|
|2.6||Oct 2014||2008 R2 SP1, 2012 R2|
Intel CAS for Windows Workstation
|CAS Version||Release Date||Windows Version|
|2.5||Dec 2013||Windows 7 x64|
|2.5.1||Mar 2014||Windows 7 x64, Windows 8 x64|
|2.5.3||Jun 2014||Windows 7 x64, Windows 8.1 x64|
|3.0||Nov 2015||Windows 7 x64, Windows 8.1 x64, Windows 10 x64|
- Intel Smart Response Technology for desktop-class computers
- Microsoft's Automated Tiering (Windows 2012 R2)
- "Intel® Cache Acceleration Software Explained Simply". intel.com. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
- Intel releases SSD cache acceleration software for Linux servers - Computerworld
- "Intel Cache Acceleration Software (Intel CAS) Version 2.0 for Windows" (PDF). intel.com. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- "Intel serves flashy speed to penguins after eating Nevex's cache". theregister.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- "Nevex reverses cache rules to accelerate apps". theregister.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- Nevex Speeds Apps With Caching System - InformationWeek
- Intel Cache Acceleration Software - YouTube
- Intel Cache Acceleration Software: FAQ Configuration and Use
- New Intel CAS-W: Accelerating Software Application Performance - Direct2Dell - Direct2Dell - Dell Community
- Intel Cache Acceleration Software with Dell and Autodesk - YouTube