Cactus High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Cactus High School|
|6330 W. Greenway Road, Glendale, Arizona, United States|
|Motto||Inherit The Tradition|
|Enrollment||1,278 (August 27, 2015)|
|Color(s)||Columbia blue and silver|
|Athletics conference||AIA 4A Conference|
|Rivals||Peoria High School|
Cactus High School is a public secondary school located in Glendale, Arizona, United States, part of the Peoria Unified School District. The school opened its doors in August 1977. It is the district's smallest high school, with approximately 1,300 students.
In 1978, the first Cactus High School students, 1980 graduates, transferred from Peoria High School's campus during their sophomore year into the current building.
The song is set to the tune of Northwestern University's fight song.
Go Cactus High School, on to Victory.
Hail the Blue and Silver, we'll defend our dignity
Fight mighty Cobras, keep our spirits high
Show all the rest, that we are the best
We'll fight forever, Cactus High
CHS! CHS! CHS! CHS!
The high school's first band director, Jim Lynch, wrote the lyrics in 1978.
- Football: State Championship in 2005 after three straight appearances; State Championship in 2009, after losing in the playoffs for two years
- Volleyball: State Championship in 2006 season; runner-up in 2008, 2009 and 2013
- Boys' swim and dive
- Girls' swim and dive: 2009 4A-II state champion diver Katie Dallman
- Boys' cross country: West Valley Region Championship in 2007 season (No losses but one tie during regular season 15-0-1)
- Girls' cross country: West Valley Region Championship in 2007 season
- Boys' golf: 1987 State Champions as a team (the first in school history) and Robert Parker won the individual state championship after finishing fourth in the 1985 and 1986. 2009 State Runners up as a team and Individual Kale Davidson finished 2nd in state.
- Girls' golf
- Boys' basketball: State Championship in 1994, State Tournament appearances in 2006 (12 seed - lost in first round) and 2008 (15 seed - upset 2 seed Sandra Day O'Connor High School but lost to 10 seed Paradise Valley High School in second round)
- Girls' basketball: five State Championships under coach Jim Graham
- Boys' soccer: six State Championships and eighteen Region Championships under coach Jack Altersitz, a member of the Arizona Coaches Hall of Fame
- Girls' soccer: multiple State Championships
- Baseball: 2009 region championship; lost in 4A-I state title game to Canyon del Oro High School
- Softball: National Championship in 2006 season
- Boys' track
- Girls' track: back-to-back state championships in 2007 and 2008 (2008 title won with only 7 athletes participating in state meet)
- FIRST Robotics Team 498 | The Cobra Commanders: 2016 Northern Arizona Regional Winners (Top 10 OPR in division at World Championship)
Regional Finalist 2004, 2009 & 2012
- Boys' tennis
- Girls' tennis
- Boys' Volleyball
Cactus' clubs and after-school activities include Chess Club, DECA, Key Club, Improv Club, Drama Club, 500 Mile Club, World Languages Club, FCCLA, Media Club, FBLA, Med Start, Key of C, Outdoor Adventure Club, Student Council, NHS, AFJROTC, Athletic Training, Clay Club, Robotics, Environmental Club, and Mind's Eye.
Many of these organizations have received state and national recognition for their work.
- Kyle Kosier: Offensive lineman (NFL), free agent
- Anna Leander - lead vocalist for AnnaPaul and the Bearded Lady
- Brandon McDonald: Midfielder, Real Salt Lake (Major League Soccer)
- Zach Minter: defensive tackle (NFL), free agent
- Joe Riggs: professional mixed martial artist, WEC Middleweight Champion,; formerly fighting for (Bellator) and Strikeforce; currently competing in the Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Randy Soderman - professional soccer player