This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018)
This article possibly contains original research. (January 2009)
The CPF number (Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas, [sepeˈɛfi]; Portuguese for "Natural Persons Register") is the Brazilian individual taxpayer registry identification, since its creation in 1965. This number is attributed by the Brazilian Federal Revenue to Brazilians and resident aliens who, directly or indirectly, pay taxes in Brazil. It's an 11-digit number in the format 000.000.000-00.
In May 2020, a digital version of the document was promoted for Android and iOS.
During COVID-19 pandemic the Revenue reported 223.8 million active CPFs, the problem is that, according to the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE), the Brazilian population at the time of the survey was around 211.4 million people, updated to 211.8 million at the end of August.
Auditors revealed that there was evidence that an individual was already dead in 3.3 million valid entries and more than 78.000 active CPFs of people over 110 years old. International surveys show that there are only 29 people in this age group in the world – and only one lives in Brazil.
You can request a CPF online or at an embassy or consulate, when available. The online form is available in Spanish and English. You can also check the nearest diplomatic mission representation abroad and its working hours: , , , 
In November 2021, Santa Catarina launched a unified document, with CPF and RG (Identity Card) integrating a single 11-digit number, authorities say the initiative will reduce fraud, but the change is not mandatory.
Are required to register a CPF number individuals who:
- Reside in Brazil and are part of the passive pole of the main or ancillary tax relationship, whether as a taxpayer or responsible person, as well as the respective legal representatives;
- Carry out real estate operations of any kind in Brazil;
- Have, in Brazil, bank, savings or investment accounts, or operate in the financial or capital market in the country;
- Operate in the financial or capital market in Brazil, including stock, commodities, futures and similar exchanges;
- Possess, in Brazil, assets and rights subject to public registration or specific registration, including real estate, vehicles, vessels, aircraft, financial instruments and equity interests or in the capital market;
- If you are over 14 years old, declared as dependents in the IRPF Declaration (Personal Income Tax);
- As required by agencies or entities of the federal, state, district or municipal public administration, under the terms of its own legislation, it affects the business of these agencies and entities; or
- Have applied for benefits of any kind in the INSS (National Institute of Social Security).
- CNPJ – National Registry of Legal Entities
- National identification number (section Brazil)
- Brazilian identity card
- Social Security number (a similar code in the USA)
- National Insurance number (a similar number in the United Kingdom)
- SNILS (a similar number in Russia)
- Social Insurance Number (a similar number in Canada)
- INSEE code (a similar number in France)
- PPSN (a similar number in Ireland)
- Tax file number (a similar number in Australia)
- Aadhaar (a similar number in India)
- Identity Card
- "Lei número 4.862 de 29 de novembro de 1965 - L4862" (in Portuguese). Presidência da República - Casa Civil. 29 November 1965. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- "What is a CPF or a CNPJ? How to get one and what you should know". TransferWise. 2017-12-26. Retrieved 2020-10-19.
- "IRS launches 'CPF Digital', an application that allows you to have the document on your cell phone". G1 (in Portuguese). 14 May 2020. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- "Audit by the Federal Court of Accounts points to evidence of irregularity in the management of CPFs". G1 (in Portuguese). 24 June 2020. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- "Brazil has 12.5 million active CPFs more than the total population, and TCU demands explanation from the Federal Revenue". G1 (in Portuguese). 2 October 2020. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- "How to apply for a Brazilian CPF number in 2021". Kate Migrates. 2021-03-10. Retrieved 2021-04-01.
- "CPF as the only identity document launched in Santa Catarina". G1 (in Portuguese). 8 November 2021. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- "Instrução Normativa RFB nº 1548, de 13 de fevereiro de 2015" (in Portuguese). Receita Federal. 19 February 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2017. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- (in Portuguese) Receita Federal – Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas – CPF – Federal Revenue site, CPF issuing page.
- (in Portuguese) Gerador e Validador de CPFs para desenvolvedores de sites – CPF generator for webpage development.
- (in Portuguese) Gerador de CPF para fins de validação e testes[permanent dead link] – CPF generator for test and validation.
- CPF Algorithm
- (in Portuguese) Itamaraty – Diplomatic Mission Representation – MRE – Ministry of Foreign Affairs, list of Embassies and Consulates.
- (in English) MRE – Diplomatic Mission Representation – Consulate General of Brazil, list of Embassies and Consulates.