|Place of origin||Canada|
|Similar dishes||List of Cadbury products|
|Other information||Owned by Mondelez International|
(The Hershey Company in the United States)
Caramilk is a chocolate bar made by Cadbury in Canada. It was first sold in 1968 in the United States, Australia and New Zealand. Variations available, some of them limited editions, include Caramilk made with dark chocolate, maple flavoured, chocolate flavoured, or cappuccino. "Chunky" (thicker) versions called Caramilk "Thick" and cylindrical versions called "Caramilk Rolls" (similar to Rolo) have also been introduced.
'Caramilk' is also the name of a caramelised white chocolate bar that has recently been re-released as a limited edition in New Zealand. It had been sold under 'Caramilk' in both Australia and New Zealand previously.
It is sold in the United Kingdom & Ireland as 'Cadbury Dairy Milk Caramel'.
One of the advertising campaigns for Caramilk bars revolved around the question of how the centre of the confection was put into the chocolate flavoured exterior. This theme led to the production of over fifteen separate television advertisements since the candy was introduced, making the series one of the most productive advertising efforts in Canadian history. The "Caramilk Secret" ad campaign was conceived by Gary Prouk when he was at Doyle Dane Bernbach. When Prouk left DDB to join Scali McCabe Sloves, the Cadbury account went with him. One notable advertisement involved two conehead aliens who were complimenting each other on successfully concealing the secret from humans, and also creating some of earth's other long-standing works of wonder (e.g. the pyramids).
Caramilk bars contain unsweetened chocolate and cocoa butter but are labelled as candy bars since only solid chocolate bars may be labelled as chocolate bars in Canada.
Caramilk NZ and Australia version Milk, sugar, cocoa butter, milk solids, emulsifiers, flavours.
Cadbury Dairy Milk Caramel
In the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, a bar similar in premise (caramel-filled chocolate) but differing considerably in taste, shape, ingredients and packaging is sold as Cadbury Dairy Milk Caramel.
Cadbury Caramello (Australia & New Zealand)
In New Zealand, a bar similar to the United Kingdom product is sold as the Caramello variant of the Cadbury Dairy Milk line of blocks. In the early-mid-1990s, a bar was sold in New Zealand by Cadbury under the name Caramilk which was solid caramel-flavoured chocolate.
Cadbury Caramello (United States)
In the United States, a similar bar is produced under license by The Hershey Company and sold under the brand Cadbury's Caramello. It uses caramel filling, the chocolate has a sweet taste, and is chewy. The flavor of Cadburys Caramello is often used in ice-creams in the United States. It gained popularity in the 1980s when advertising to children with the slogan, "I was right in the middle of a Caramello when I found gold."
Caramilk (Australia and New Zealand)
In the early-mid-1990s, a bar was sold in Australia by Cadbury/Nestle under the name Caramilk which was solid caramel-flavoured chocolate. The wrapping (Caramilk written on an angle) displayed the look of the chocolate, brown and caramel colours on packaging. It was only available for a short time.It was re-released in 2017 as a limited edition run in New Zealand.
- Carr, D. (2003). Candymaking in Canada: The History and Business of Canada's Confectionery Industry. Dundurn. p. 91. ISBN 978-1-55002-395-4. Retrieved October 29, 2017.
- Demontis, Rita (2008-09-21). "Caramilk secret a sweet mystery". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2008-12-28.
- Welcome Archived 2009-06-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- How off Burghardt are Base and Burghardt?, Strategy Magazine, December 16, 2002
- Chiasson, Gail (2008-10-01). "Caramilk Celebrates its 40th Birthday". PubZone. Archived from the original on 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2008-12-28.
- "Labelling Requirements for Chocolate and Cocoa Products". Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- Cadbury New Zealand - Caramello Product Page Archived 2012-04-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- Cadbury chocolates at Hershey's Archived 2009-01-01 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-11-20. Retrieved 2014-11-24.
- "1985 - Cadbury's Caramello Chocolate Bar - Right in the Middle When I Found Gold (tracking issue)". YouTube. 2013-07-21. Retrieved 2017-10-29.
- "Caramilk chocolate blocks get extreme mark-up across the ditch". Stuff.co.nz. 2017-07-17. Retrieved 2017-10-29.
- King, Robin Levinson (February 25, 2016). "Cadbury's Caramilk bars not really chocolate?". The Hamilton Spectator. Retrieved October 29, 2017.