Caerleon railway station
Station in 1959.
|Original company||Pontypool, Caerleon and Newport Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|21 December 1874||Opened|
|30 April 1962||Closed to passengers|
|29 November 1965||Closed to all traffic|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
The station was opened by the Pontypool, Caerleon and Newport Railway on 21 December 1874. This came after the absorption of the Pontypool company by the Great Western Railway. The station closed to passengers on 30 April 1962 and to all traffic on 29 November 1965.[page needed]
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line open, station closed
|Great Western Railway
Pontypool, Caerleon and Newport Railway
|Newport High Street
Line and station open
The Newport City Council unitary development plan and Sewta rail strategy set out plans for the station to be re-opened, but these plans were shelved. A public consultation was launched in 2012 to gauge receptiveness for the new station. Work on a new station has been initially set for between 2016-2020.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063. CN 8983.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Clinker, C.R. (1988) . Clinker's Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots in England, Scotland and Wales 1830–1980 (2nd ed.). Bristol: Avon-Anglia Publications & Services. ISBN 978-0-905466-91-0. OCLC 655703233.
- Conolly, W. Philip (2004) . British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer. Hersham, Surrey: Ian Allan. ISBN 978-0-7110-0320-0.
- Quick, Michael (2009) . Railway passenger stations in Great Britain: a chronology (4th ed.). Oxford: Railway and Canal Historical Society. ISBN 978-0-901461-57-5. OCLC 612226077.