Café Coffee Day
Cafe Coffee Day logo
|Café Coffee Day|
|Subsidiary of Coffee Day Enterprises|
|Traded as||BSE: 539436|
|Founder||V. G. Siddhartha|
|Headquarters||Coffee Day Square, Vittal Mallya Road,|
Number of locations
|S. V. Ranganath (interim chairman)|
|Revenue||₹43.31 billion (US$630 million) (2017–18)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Coffee Day Enterprises|
|Subsidiaries||Café Emporio |
Coffee Day Fresh ‘n Ground
Coffee Day Xpress
Coffee Day Take Away
Coffee Day Exports
Coffee Day Perfect
Coffee Day Beverages
Café Coffee Day (CCD) is an Indian café chain. It is a subsidiary of Coffee Day Enterprises Limited. Coffee Day serves 1.8 billion cups of coffee annually in six countries.
Café Coffee Day Global Limited Company is a Chikkamagaluru-based business which grows coffee in its own estates of 20,000 acres. It is the largest producer of arabica beans in Asia, exporting to various countries including the U.S., Europe, and Japan.
V. G. Siddhartha started the café chain in 1996 when he incorporated Coffee Day Global, which is the parent of the Coffee Day chain. The first CCD outlet was set up on July 11, 1996, at Brigade Road, Bangalore, Karnataka. It rapidly expanded to other cities in India, with more than 1000 cafés open across the nation by 2011.
In 2010, it was announced that a consortium led by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts would invest ₹10 billion (US$140 million) in Coffee Day Resorts, owned by the company. The same year, the logo was changed to the current logo, which the company stated was to showcase the chain as a place to talk. This was done with major changes in the layout of the stores, including the addition of lounges and a total revamp of the interiors.
On 29 July 2019, Siddhartha went missing, and his body was found in the Nethravathi river backwaters two days later. A letter, assumed to be written by Siddhartha addressing the board of directors and staff, was made public in which he takes responsibility for not creating a profitable business model.
In September 2019, the company appointed auditing firm Ernst and Young to scrutinize their books of accounts. They also indicated the auditor will also look into circumstances of the last letter written by the founder and the points he made in it.
As of 2018, the company had 1,722 café outlets in over 200 cities of India. Cafe Coffee Day has also expanded outside India with its outlets in Austria (Vienna), Czech Republic, Egypt and Nepal.
In June 2010, CCD acquired Café Emporio, a café chain from the Czech Republic. Café Emporio has 11 cafés in the Czech Republic. 7 of them are in Prague, 1 is in Brno and Olomouc and 2 are at Freeport-Hate.
Café Coffee Day's divisions include:
- Coffee Day Fresh 'n' Ground, which owns 450 coffee bean and powder retail outlets
- Coffee Day Square, a high-level coffee bar in Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai, Mumbai and New Delhi
- Coffee Day Xpress, which runs 900+ Coffee Day kiosks
- Coffee Day Beverages, which runs over 50,000 vending machines
- Coffee Day Exports, its exporting wing
- Coffee Day Perfect, its fast-moving consumer goods packaged coffee division
- Coffee Day B2C Plant, coffee vending machine manufacturing division
- "Coffeeday Group – Contact". www.coffeeday.com.
- "Coffee Day Annual Report 2018" (PDF). p. 13. Retrieved 24 July 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 August 2017. Retrieved 23 August 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Forbes India Magazine – V.G. Siddhartha is Branching Out".
- "Full of beans". Calcutta. The Telegraph. 3 April 2014. Archived from the original on 29 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "VG Siddhartha: The man who tasted success through coffee". Economic Times. 30 July 2019. Retrieved 30 July 2019.
- "KKR-led consortium to invest Rs 1k-cr in Coffee Day Resorts". Economic Times. 15 March 2010. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Cafe Coffee Day unveils new logo". Bangalore. Deccan Herald. 6 October 2010. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Cafe Coffee Day to go for makeover, to open 180 outlets this fiscal". Mumbai. Daily News and Analysis. 28 June 2010. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Competition in the coffee retailing sector steps up".
- India’s leading Coffee Chain Cafe Coffee Day founder dead body found
- "Coffee Day Enterprise Appoints Global Accounting Firm EY to Scrutnise Book of Accounts". News18. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Café Coffee Day.|