Cahokia High School
|Cahokia High School Main|
800 Rangle Ln
Cahokia, Illinois 62206
|Type||Comprehensive public high school|
|School district||Cahokia Unit School District 187|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2014)
In 2013 the district announced that due to budget issues it planned to eliminate athletic programs. This would have eliminated Cahokia High School's programs. In June of that year the district board voted 6-0 to keep athletics and arts programs, but at the same time it voted to close two schools and consolidate other academic programs. Therefore the high school retained its academic programs.
Eighty percent of Cahokia's graduates enroll in college or post-graduate training programs.
As of 2006, the student body of the school was 85.1% black, 13.8% white, 0.9% Hispanic and 0.2% Asian/Pacific Islander.
- Terron Armstead, professional football player in the National Football League (NFL)
- Byron Gettis, professional baseball player in Major League Baseball
- Richard Stilwell, noted baritone opera singer, Class of 1960. Performed at Metropolitan Opera and internationally. Provided vocals for the Oscar-winning movie Amadeus (film). Currently voice instructor at Chicago College of Performing Arts.
- "Cahokia High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 17, 2019.
- Sanders, Norm. "Cahokia turning things around; Edwardsville's record-setting quarterback" (Archive). Belleville News-Democrat. October 14, 2013. Retrieved on July 7, 2014.
- Gillerman, Margaret. "Cahokia School Board votes to close two schools, save arts and sports" (Archive). St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Thursday June 13, 2013. Retrieved on July 7, 2014.
- Illinois School Report Card (2006), retrieved 13 July 2007.
- Council of Chief State School Officers, "1985 State Teachers of the Year", retrieved 13 July 2007.
- Cahokia High School
- Cahokia High School (Archive: 2010-2012)
- Cahokia High School (Archive: 1999-2009)