Cai Mingjie (蔡明杰, born 1952) is a Singaporean taxicab driver and former biology researcher, known for his blog, A Singapore Taxi Driver's Diary. He is described variously as "Singapore's most educated taxi driver" and "the only taxi driver with a Ph.D.".
Cai was born in China. He received his Ph.D. in molecular biology from Stanford University in 1990, and worked for 16 years as a researcher at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research's Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology. In May 2008, he was one of the first few Principal Investigators of the institute to be laid off. After several failed job applications, he chose to become a taxi driver in November 2008. With the SG$77/day rent for his Toyota Crown, he said in September 2009 that his take-home pay comes out to between $30 and $50 per day.
Cai began blogging about his experiences as a taxi driver, acquiring a large following of fans and even offers of employment. In April 2010, he published a compilation of stories about his taxi driving. A movie based on the book, Taxi! Taxi!, was released in Singapore in 2013.
- Cai, Mingjie; Davis, Ronald W. (May 1990), "Yeast centromere binding protein CBF1, of the helix-loop-helix protein family, is required for chromosome stability and methionine prototrophy", Cell, 61 (3): 437–446, doi:10.1016/0092-8674(90)90525-J, PMID 2185892
- Cai, Mingjie, Diary of a taxi driver : true stories from Singapore's most educated cabdriver, Singapore: Aktive Learning, ISBN 978-981-08-5020-3
- Seah, Chiang-nee (2009-08-29), "Driven to driving a taxi despite having a PhD", The Star (Malaysia), retrieved 2010-07-16
- Loh, Larry (2010-02-12), "The diary of Singapore's most educated taxi driver moves from web to print", CNNGo, retrieved 2010-07-16
- Gunasingham, Amresh (2009-08-19), "S'pore's most highly educated taxi-driver", The Straits Times, retrieved 2010-07-16
- "From researcher to taxi driver", The Straits Times, 2009-08-19, retrieved 2010-07-16
- "史丹福博士星洲揸的士 (Stanford Ph.D. drives taxi in Singapore)", Oriental Daily News, 2009-08-20, retrieved 2010-07-16
- Vembu, Venkatesan (2009-09-08), "PhD scholar from Stanford turns cabbie", Daily News and Analysis, retrieved 2010-07-16
- Yap, Stephanie (2010-04-08), "Diary of a taxi driver: True stories from Singapore's most educated taxi driver hits the shelves", The Straits Times, retrieved 2010-07-16
- Frater, Patrick (11 July 2012). "Sng starts the meter on Taxi! Taxi!". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "The 7th International Bio-pharmaceutical R&D Innovation Summit". Sino–EU Chemical Manufacturers Association. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "管理团队" [Management team]. Hongye Innovative Antibody Technologies. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "A Singapore Taxi Driver's Diary". Archived from the original on 2010-01-04. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
|This Singaporean biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|