Caibi in Santa Catarina
|• Mayor||Dilair Menin|
|• Total||67.51 sq mi (174.84 km2)|
|• Density||92.1/sq mi (35.57/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC -3|
Caibi is a municipality in the state of Santa Catarina in the South region of Brazil. It covers 174.84 km2 (67.51 sq mi), and has a population of 6,219 with a population density of 35.57 inhabitants per square kilometer.
Caibi was settled in two waves. The first, in 1926, were settlers were gauchos from the municipality of Guaporé in the state of Rio Grande do Sul. The second, in 1930, were ethnic Germans from Siberia brought to the region by the Companhia Colonizadora Sul Brasil. The second group were refugees of First World War and sought new land to avoid the war. Many of the group desired to return to Paraná, but settled in the area permanently due to the difficulty of the voyage from Siberia. The German residents were unaccustomed to the food and climate of southern Brazil. Other settlers came to the area in the early part of the 20th century. In 1964 Caibi, a district of Palmitos, became a separate municipality.
- "Caibi" (in Portuguese). Brasília, Brazil: Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatstica. 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Divisão Territorial do Brasil" (in Portuguese). Divisão Territorial do Brasil e Limites Territoriais, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). July 1, 2008. Retrieved December 17, 2009.[permanent dead link]
- "Estimativas da população para 1º de julho de 2009" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Estimativas de População, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). August 14, 2009. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- "Ranking decrescente do IDH-M dos municípios do Brasil" (in Portuguese). Atlas do Desenvolvimento Humano, Programa das Nações Unidas para o Desenvolvimento (PNUD). 2000. Archived from the original on October 3, 2009. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- "Produto Interno Bruto dos Municípios 2002-2005" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). December 19, 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 2, 2008. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
|This Santa Catarina, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|