The road to Guayabal outside Caimito
Caimito municipality (red) within
Artemisa Province (yellow) and Cuba
|• Total||238 km2 (92 sq mi)|
|Elevation||95 m (312 ft)|
|• Density||154.7/km2 (401/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
Caimito is a municipality and town in Artemisa Province of Cuba. The town was founded in 1820. The municipality of Caimito del Guayabal was created in 1910, based on the previously existing (1879-1902) municipality of Guayabal in the Pinar del Río Province. Since 1976, the official name is Caimito.
The municipality is divided into the villages of Caimito, Guayabal, Ceiba del Agua, Pluebo Nuevo, Rancho Grande, Capellanías, Vereda Nueva, Los Naranjos, Aguacate, Banes, Habana Libre and Menelao Mora.
Caimito, crossed by the Carretera Central, is served by A4 motorway, passing some km north. From 2014, it counts a railway station on the new Havana-Guanajay-Artemisa/Mariel line, part of the Havana-Artemisa-Pinar del Río line. Playa Baracoa Airport, serving Havana, is located in the municipal territory, and lies in front of Playa Baracoa, a village belonging to the neighboring municipality of Bauta.
- Guije.com. "Caimito" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-10-08.
- Statoids (July 2003). "Municipios of Cuba". Retrieved 2007-10-08.
- Atenas.cu (2004). "2004 Population trends, by Province and Municipality" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2006-07-14. Retrieved 2007-10-08.
- 455624731 Playa Baracoa on OpenStreetMap
- 259849770 Playa Baracoa Airport on OpenStreetMap
- (in Spanish) Playa Baracoa on EcuRed
Media related to Caimito at Wikimedia Commons