St Matthew's Church
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Cainscross is a suburban town and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England, on the western outskirts of Stroud and forming part of the Stroud urban area. The parish includes the communities of Ebley, Cashes Green and Hamwell Leaze, and part of Dudbridge.
The population of the civil parish was 6,680 (in 2001) of which 14.6% are in the 5–14 age group. The area is predominantly white (98.4%) with a high proportion of lone parent households with dependent children in comparison to the Stroud and county averages. 18.8% of the household rent from a social landlord, 6.2% of household are claiming housing benefit, and 22.4% of households have no car – again all much higher than the county or Stroud profiles. Lone pensioner households are also high, at 18.2%, with smaller proportions of people providing unpaid care, and higher social service referrals for the over-75s than elsewhere.
As a relatively prosperous parish within Gloucestershire, there are low levels of burglary, theft of motor vehicles; the numbers of serious and fatal road traffic accidents compared to the county average. The percentage of young offenders resident in the area and of children with low scores at key stages 1–3, are also below the Stroud and county averages.
The town council is hoping to improve provision of community and youth facilities; these, along with levels of open space, were identified in the 2006 Parish Plan as key issues along with library, post office and evening bus services. The site of a former hospital is being redeveloped with community consultation involving a Bristol-based company with a strong regeneration record. A new Children’s Centre is being developed on the nearby Cashes Green Primary school site.
Cainscross is well served with local amenities, including a post office and a medium-sized co-operative supermarket. It is well connected to Stroud (only a 25-minute walk away) with frequent bus services to Stonehouse, Gloucester and Cheltenham. The Stroudwater Canal is easily accessible to the south, as is Selsley Common. Stroud town centre lies 1.6 miles (2.5 km) to the east.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Cainscross Town Council Minutes 19 Aug 2019" (PDF). Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Ordnance Survey: Landranger map sheet 162 Gloucester & Forest of Dean (Map). Ordnance Survey. 2011. ISBN 9780319229118.
- "Ordnance Survey: 1:50,000 Scale Gazetteer" (csv (download)). www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk. Ordnance Survey. 1 January 2016. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "William Vick, photographer". laurelcottagegenealogy. Laurel Cottage Genealogy. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
Media related to Cainscross at Wikimedia Commons