Cairo High School
|Cairo High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||With Pride, We Give Our Best|
|School district||Grady County School System|
|Color(s)||Red and black|
|Rival||Thomasville High School
Thomas County Central High School
Bainbridge High School
|Website||Cairo High School|
Cairo High School is a public high school in Cairo, Georgia. United States. The school's motto is "With Pride, We Give Our Best." Cairo High School was recognized as the SAT Region Winner for Class AAA and Region 1-AAA for 2005 and 2006. CHS students showed three-year average gains in reading and math SAT scores.
Cairo (pronounced "kay-row" instead of "ki-row" like the Egyptian city) is nicknamed the "syrup city" because Roddenbery's syrup plant was formerly located in Cairo. The syrup made in Cairo is cooked from sugar cane juice and is not the corn syrup known as Karo syrup, although the names are pronounced the same. During a driving rainstorm in the middle of a football game many years ago, workers at the local syrup shelter brought over their rain coats labeled "Roddenbery's Syrup" on the backs of the jackets to keep the players dry. Reflecting this heritage, the Cairo High School football team was named the Cairo Syrupmakers. In 1986 ESPN named "Syrupmaker" the number one nickname for a high school sports team.
The school mascot is depicted as a syrup pitcher. In 1994, Amy Gerleman created the team's first syrup pitcher mascot costume and began wearing the "pitcher" to pep rallies and football games. The term is often shortened to "Maids" for the girls or "Makers" for the boys.
- Boys' sports
- Basketball - junior varsity and varsity
- Baseball - JV and varsity
- Cross country
- Football - JV and varsity
- Soccer - JV and varsity
- Girls' sports
- Basketball - JV and varsity
- Cross Country
- Mat Girls (wrestling)
- Soccer - JV and varsity
- Softball - JV and varsity
The 2008 Football Syrupmakers are Class AAA State Champions after the school's second undefeated season (1990 was the other).
Activities and clubs
- Academic Club
- Cairo High School Marching Band
- Co Ed Y
- FFA - Future Farmers of America
- French Club
- Interact Club
- Key Club
- Latin Club
- Library Club
- National Honor Society
- Navy Junior ROTC
- Science Club
- Spanish Club
- Student Council
The school has the widely known Syrupmaker Band, "The Pride of Dixie." The award winning marching band is currently under the direction of John E. Scanling.
Alma Mater written by Reba Spears
We salute thee Alma Mater
Thou to us art dear
May thy virtues and thy teachings
Guide us every year.
Cairo High in future years
Our memories will turn back
To the days of Cairo High School
To the Red and Black.
- Teresa Edwards, former professional basketball player; Olympic gold medalist
- Clifford Hammonds, professional basketball player for Alba Berlin of the BBL
- Willie Harris, member of the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox; member of the Cincinnati Reds
- David Ponder, former NFL defensive tackle
- Daryle Singletary, country music singer
- Bill Stanfill, former All-Pro National Football League defensive end
- Mickey Thomas, lead singer for rock band Starship
- Bobby Walden, member of the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame; punter, kick returner, and halfback for the University of Georgia from 1958–60; played with the Minnesota Vikings and Pittsburgh Steelers starting punter for the Super Bowl IX and X champion teams; nicknamed "The Big Toe from Cairo"
- J.J. Wilcox, professional football player drafted 2013 by Dallas Cowboys (2013-current); safety