15 October 1980
Rathmines, Dublin, Ireland
|Alma mater||Dublin City University|
|Employer||Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ)|
|Notable credit(s)||RTÉ News: Six One|
Caitríona Perry (born 15 October 1980) is an Irish journalist and presenter with Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ), Ireland's national radio and television station, where she has presented the Six One News, alongside Keelin Shanley since January 2018. She has previously worked as a news correspondent since 2000 and was the RTÉ News and Current Affairs Washington correspondent from February 2013 to December 2017.
Perry attained a BA in journalism from Dublin City University, with a work placement in Dublin radio station NewsTalk 106. She attained an MA in International Relations. She joined RTÉ in 2007 after previously worked at Newstalk and Today FM. Perry made headlines around the world after an encounter with United States President Donald Trump in June 2017 at the White House when, while he was on a call with the new Taoiseach Leo Varadkar, he summoned Perry to compliment her on having a "nice smile", which Irish Central described as Trump being "fixated with" Perry, The Daily Telegraph described as "creepy", and Perry herself described as "bizarre".
She provided the people of Ireland with extensive coverage of the 2016 United States presidential election, and she subsequently wrote a book about her experience of the election entitled In America: Tales from Trump Country. The book has been highly acclaimed in Ireland, with some reviewers describing it as "spellbindingly good" and "insightful". It was shortlisted for an Irish Book Award in 2017.
Perry grew up in Knocklyon in Dublin and is a graduate of Dublin City University where she completed an Undergraduate Degree in Journalism in 2002 and a master's degree in International Relations in 2010. Perry is married.
- "Comment: Caitriona Perry isn't a celebrity who wants to be objectified, she's a journalist trying to do her job". Irish Independent. 28 June 2017. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- Regan, Jarlath (28 January 2018). "Caitríona Perry". An Irishman Abroad (Podcast) (228 ed.). SoundCloud. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "Who is Caitríona Perry - the Irish journalist Donald Trump is fixated with". Irish Central. 28 June 2017. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "RTE reporter Caitriona Perry tells of her surprise at 'creepy' Donald Trump moment in White House". The Telegraph. 23 June 2017. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "RTE's Washington Correspondent Caitriona Perry tells tales on Trump after that 'bizarre' encounter in new book". Irish Independent. 15 August 2017. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "Caitriona Perry and Keelin Shanley are the new presenters of Six One News". Journal. 26 October 2017. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "Caitríona Perry talks Trump & missing home". RTE News. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
| RTÉ News Washington Correspondent