|Active||June 6, 1962–March 28, 1966|
|Branch||Army, Navy, Police, and Air Force|
|Type||Protective security unit|
|Role||Protection and escort towards the President, and His family|
|Part of||Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI)|
|Motto(s)||Dirgayu Satyawira (Long-standing Loyal Forces)|
|Beret colour||Brick Red|
|Brigadier General Sabur|
The Tjakrabirawa regiment was formed by President Sukarno after several murder attempts by local terrorists to the Head of State in 1962. Its primary task is to provide security for the president and his familty. Security for the president consist of individual protection and area protection.Its personnel were recruited from all branches of Indonesian military, such as Army's Raiders and the Army Parachute Commandos, the Navy Commando Operations Corps (KKO), the Air Force's Rapid Action Force (PGT) and Police's Mobile Brigade (BRIMOB). The first commandant and executive officer were Brigadier General M.Sabur and Colonel Maulwi Saelan. President Sukarno gave the name "Tjakrabirawa" after Krishna's fictional sacred weapon in 'wayang' mythology. The Regiment took a golden "Cakra" in a dark red pentagonal field as its badge and a brick red beret for its headgear, pushed to the left.
On 30 September 1965, Lieutenant Colonel Untung from the Regiment's 1st Honor Guard Battalion led the infamous 30 September Movement which eventually led to the liquidation of the Regiment (the battalion's Army guardsmen were forward deployed by squads to the residences of the targeted Army generals). Its personnel then were returned to their respective services and Untung was later sentenced to death for his role in the coup attempt.
Presidential guard functions were subsequently taken over by the Military Police Command of the Armed Forces in early 1966, called Satgas Pomad Para. Subsequently, the Presidential Security Force ("Pasukan Pengamanan Presiden") was formed by New Order Government and is still responsible for presidential protection, as well as for honor guard duties in the capital.
The Tjakrabirawa organization consist of:
- HQ and Services Detachment
- Special Security Detachment
- Personal Security Detachment
- Honor Guard Detachment
- Detachment HQ
- 1st Honor Guard Battalion (consist of Army personnel)
- 2nd Honor Guard Battalion (consist of Navy personnel)
- 3rd Honor Guard Battalion (consist of Air Force personnel)
- 4th Honor Guard Battalion (consist of Police personnel)
- Presidential Band
- Support Detachment
- "RESIMEN TJAKRABIRAWA". Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Matanasi (2011), page 27
- Matanasi (2011), page 28
- Matanasi (2011), page 29-30
- Fotaleno, Fahmi (30 September 2017). "Ini Dia Sejarah Resimen Tjakrabirawa, Cikal Bakal Terbentuknya Paspampres". Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "Sejarah Paspampres". ppid.tni.mil.id. paspampres. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- Matanasi (2011), page 30-31
|This Indonesia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a specific military unit is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|