Cal State Fullerton Titans
|Cal State Fullerton Titans|
|Conference||Big West Conference|
|Athletic director||Jim Donovan|
|Varsity teams||7 men's & 9 women's|
|Basketball arena||Titan Gym|
|Baseball stadium||Goodwin Field|
|Softball stadium||Anderson Family Field|
|Soccer stadium||Titan Stadium|
Titan Track Complex
|Mascot||Tuffy the Titan (Elephant)|
|Fight song||For our dear old Fullerton!|
Navy Blue, White, and Orange|
The Cal State Fullerton Titans (also known as CSUF or Fullerton Titans) are the athletic teams that represent California State University, Fullerton. The Titans are a member of the NCAA Division I level. The Titans compete within the Big West Conference (BWC) for most sports, wrestling competes as a member of the Pac-12 Conference (Pac-12) and gymnastics competes as a member of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC). CSUF has won 13 national championships in eight different sports.
- 1 Sports sponsored
- 1.1 Baseball
- 1.2 Basketball
- 1.3 Cross country
- 1.4 Women's golf
- 1.5 Softball
- 1.6 Tennis
- 1.7 Men's track and field
- 1.8 Women's track and field
- 1.9 Men's soccer
- 1.10 Women's soccer
- 1.11 Women's volleyball
- 1.12 Wrestling
- 1.13 Discontinued programs
- 1.14 Football
- 2 Championships
- 3 Former Titans Athletic Directors
- 4 Titans Athletic Hall of Fame members
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Rivals
- 7 References
- 8 External links
|Men's sports||Women's sports|
|Track & field†||Tennis|
|Track & field|
|† – Men's track and field is outdoor only|
- See also: The National Classic (high-school tournament at CSUF)
Baseball is Cal State Fullerton's strongest athletic program. The Titans are consistently rated among the nation's elite baseball programs. They have won four national championships in the NCAA Men's Baseball College World Series since 1979: 1979, 1984, 1995, and 2004. Home games are played on campus at Goodwin Field. The team is currently coached by Rick Vanderhook. As of the end of the 2007 season, there had been 43 MLB players who played for the school.
- In 1978, the Men's Basketball team – coached by Bobby Dye – made it to the Elite 8 in basketball in the NCAA Tournament and were considered the year's Cinderella story as a #7 seed (out of 8). The team defeated University of New Mexico at Tempe, AZ, and then defeated USF before losing to University of Arkansas in regionals at Albuquerque, New Mexico. Fullerton was led by Greg Bunch, a CSUF Hall of Famer. Since then, the team has been to the NIT three times. In 2008, the team finished the season 24-9, defeated UC Irvine 81-66 in the Big West Conference Championship. They qualified for their second NCAA tournament (first in 30 years), where they faced the (#3) Wisconsin Badgers as a #14 seed in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, losing the game 71–58.
- 2013–14 season Dedrique Taylor was named Head Coach of the Titans Men's Basketball team.
- Dedrique Taylor has been with Coach Herb Sendek at Arizona State University since 2006. Prior to that, Taylor has coached at Nevada, Portland State Vikings Men's Basketball program, Loyola Marymount University Lions Men's Basketball program and UC Davis Aggies Men's Basketball program. Taylor, has been long respected as one of the top recruiters in the west with strong ties to the Los Angeles area, thought to be a key component in winning at Fullerton.
- Head Coach Dedrique Taylor played at UC Davis as well as two Junior Colleges and is a native of California, growing up in Pomona.
- Taylor replaces CSUF Interim Head Coach Andy Newman, who guided the Titans to a 14–18 record overall and 6–12 in the Big West Conference in 2012–13 season. Newman was the Interim Head Coach, replacing Head Coach Bob Burton last season.
Fullerton also has a women's basketball team, which won the National Women's Invitational Championship in 1970. Since 1969, they have gone 575–706. They finished 1st in the conference eight times from 1969 to 1977.
Assistant coach death
On February 3, 2013, women's basketball assistant coach Monica Quan, 28, was found dead on a parking structure at a condominium complex.
Men's cross country
- 1971 NCAA Division II Championship Team Title
- 1970 NCAA College Division Individual Championship winner – Mark Covert '73
- Seven-Time All-American – Mark Covert '73
- 1992 Individual Big West Champion (8K) – Mike Tansley, Time – 25:53.00
- 1993 Individual Big West Champion (8K) – Mike Tansley, Time – 24:33.00
- 1992 & 1993 Big West Athlete of the Year – Mike Tansley
Head Coach John Elders has directed his Titan program since 1988 – 26 season's for both the Men's & Women's Teams
Women's cross country
- 1994 All-American Heather Killeen, distance runner
In 1967 Martha Wilkinson won the women's national intercollegiate individual golf championship (an event conducted by the Division of Girls' and Women's Sports, which evolved into the current NCAA women's golf championship).
- Titans won the NCAA National Championship in 1986
- 1995 Women's College World Series finished 5th
- Titans made 25 NCAA postseason appearances in their history.
- Head Coach Judi Garman directed the team from 1980–1999 overall record 913-376-4 Won/Loss/Tie result.
- Head Coach Michelle Gromacki directed the team from 2000–2012 overall record 424-302-1 Won/Loss/Tie result.
- 2013 Head Coach Kelly Ford currently is leading the team.
- 2004 United States Olympic Games Athlete "Titans Three-Time All-American" Jenny Topping won a gold medal as a member of the team in Athens, Greece.
- Fourth-year Head Coach Dianne Matias coaching recorded(54 wins-37 losses overall) in four years is the fifth Cal State Fullerton Women's Tennis Head Coach since the 1983 season to lead the CSUF Titans Women's Tennis program.
Titans noteworthy matchplay
In a noteworthy CSUF Women's Tennis result at the end of the 1985 collegiate season Kristi Blankenship is the first ever Titans Women's Tennis player to be selected to compete in the 1985 NCAA Division 1 National Women's Collegiate Tennis Championship Tournament held that year at Oklahoma State University in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. She was ousted in the early round by a top rated University of Miami Hurricanes player 7-5, 6–4 but gave a solid effort in representing the Titans. Blankenship was selected by the NCAA Regional Selection Committee to participate in the championship tournament with other collegiate women tennis players from across the nation.
In 1992 Big West Conference Women's Collegiate Tennis Championships Number 1 Flight Singles Championship round CSUF's Roseann Alva upset her UC Irvine opponent in the semi-finals to gain to the finals out of nowhere only to lose to her competitor from UC Santa Barbara 6-2, 6–2 in the final, nobody could have predicted this Titan player to make it so far in the Conference Tournament at the top singles flight. Coincidentally in the 1992 season the Titan Women's Tennis team never won a team match all season but the Cal State Fullerton's Alva persevered in the Collegiate Conference Tournament with her performance.
Men's track and field
Head Coach John Elders has directed the Titans Track men's program since 1988 – 27 seasons. Unlike the women's team, men only compete during the outdoors season.
|Men's outdoor track and field records|
|3000M SC||Mike Tansley||8:41.27||1994|
|110m Hurdles||Lamar Jackson||14.34||2007|
|400m Hurdles||Richard Adams||51.28||2001|
|4 × 100 m Relay||McCullum F., Williams, Brown, Campbell||40.15||2002|
|4 × 400 m Relay||Brown, McCullum F., Campbell, Ortega||3:10.46||2002|
|Long Jump||Brandon Campbell||25'4.5"||2001|
|Triple Jump||Joe Thomas||51'11.25"||2004|
|High Jump||Brandon Campbell||7'4.5"||2001|
|Pole Vault||Giovanni Lanaro||18'4.5"||2004|
|Shot Put||Don Turri||59'11"||1973|
|Discus Throw||Fritz Coffman||176'4"||1974|
|Javelin Throw||Rob Vazquez||228'11.5"||1991|
|Javelin Throw (Old Table)||Jim Feeney||243'4"||1972|
|Hammer Throw||Scott Hutchinson||189'9"||2007|
|Decathlon||Brandon Campbell||6,637 Points||2000|
|Decathlon (Old Table)||Paul Fink||7,067 Points||1974|
|Men's imperial distance records|
|880 YDS.||Mike Eck||1:49.2h||1968|
|Three-Miles||John Casco & Dave White||13.42.0h||1971/1973|
|Six Miles||Mark Covert||28:08.3h||1971|
|120 YD. Hurdles||Ed Hill||14.4h||1967|
|440 YD. Hurdles||Jerry Huss||52.4h||1973|
|440 YD. Relay||Small, Everage, Lloyd, Tavie||41.2h||1975|
|880 YD. Relay||Maikisch, Tiscaareno, Titus, ?||1:27.4h||1971|
|One-Mile Relay||Ankerman, Bryan, Thomas, Lloyd||3:14.6h||1975|
|Sprint Medley||Eck, Ochoa, Smith, Stratton||3:26.5h||1968|
|Two-Mile Relay||Love, Tubb, Keane, Payan||7:36.0h||1971|
|Distance Relay||Wilson, Wooley, Baird, Tubb||9:55.4||1972|
Women's track and field
Head Coach John Elders has led the Titans since 1988.
|Women's outdoor track and field records|
|3000M SC||Juliane Masciana||10:15.96||2009|
|100m Hurdles||Lauren Williams||13.22||2009|
|400m Hurdles||Destany Cearley||1:00.51||2006|
|400m Relay||Short, Williams, Evans, Chang||45.52||2010|
|1600m Relay||Wilson, Blake, McClellan, Hudson||3:39.18||2007|
|Long Jump||Anna Doty||19'5 1/4||2002|
|Triple Jump||Anna Doty||41'5 3/4||2001|
|High Jump||Loren Gualco||5'7 3/4||1998|
|Pole Vault||Jennifer Clarke||12'10 1/4||2003|
|Shot Put||Jameena Hunt||48'10 3/4||2009|
|Discus Throw||Jameena Hunt||173'9||2009|
|Javelin Throw||Karen Bardsley||135'4||2007|
|Hammer Throw||Jameena Hunt||185'1||2010|
|Hepthalon||Lacey Welborn||4,508 Points||2003|
|6k XC||Grace Gonzales||20:42.20||2008|
|5k XC||Grace Gonzales||17:06.10||2008|
- Current Titans Head Coach George Kuntz (2014–?) – 2nd Season
- NCAA Tournament appearances in 1975 (Second Round), 1986 (First Round), 1993 (Semi-Finals), 1994 (Quarter-Finals), 1996 (Second Round), 1998 (First Round) and 2000 (First Round).
- The Titans Soccer program first year at the University was in 1965 and the first Head Coach was Dr. Azmy Ibrahim.
There were five Head Coaches from 1965 to 1974 before they became a Division 1 soccer program.
The Cal State Fullerton Titans men's soccer team have an NCAA Division I Tournament appearance of 7–10 through ten appearances.
|1986||First Round||UCLA||L 0–3|
|1998||First Round||San Diego||L 1–2|
|2000||First Round||Stanford||L 0–4|
|2014||First Round||San Diego||L 1–2|
|2015||First Round||Santa Clara||L 0–3|
|2017||First Round||Pacific||L 1–2|
Titans on the United States Olympic Men's Soccer squads
Head Coach Demian Brown since 2007 has had a successful tenure with the Titans with three Big West Conference Titles and being named Big West Conference Soccer Coach of the Year twice in 2007 and 2012. He led the Titans to a NCAA Tournament appearance in 2007 as a first year head coach and again in 2013 to a NCAA Tournament berth and Big West Conference Title. Brown as an Titan assistant coach had helped the Titans to NCAA Tournament appearances in 2005 a "Sweet 16" Tournament performance and in 2006 a Second Round berth in the tournament and two Big West Conference Titles.
The Cal State Fullerton Titans women's soccer team have an NCAA Division I Tournament record of 3–7 through seven appearances.
|2001||First Round||UCLA||L 0–3|
|2007||First Round||UCLA||L 1–3|
|2013||First Round||Stanford||L 0–1|
|2014||First Round||Stanford||L 2–5|
|2017||First Round||Pepperdine||L 0–1|
- Titans Head Coaches since 1976 (Won-Loss-Tie Record):
- 1976 Kristi Conklin (5-10-3)
- 1977–79 Jill Goldberg (24–50)
- 1980–88 Fran Cummings (84–216)
- 1989–91 Jim Huffman (25–80)
- 1992–2001 Mary Ellen Murchison (76–211)
- 2002–2014 Carolyn Zimmerman (162–169)
- 2015– ? Ashley Preston (Unknown)
- CSUF Titans All-Time Women's Volleyball Record (376-736-3)
- 2010 Titans Best Year (26-6 Record) 1st in Big West Conference
- 2010 Big West Coach of the Year – Carolyn Zimmerman
- 2008 Big West Conference Player of the Year – Brittany Moore
- 2010 Big West Conference Player of the Year – Erin Saddler
The Cal State Fullerton Titans women's volleyball team have an NCAA Division I Tournament record of 0–1 through one appearance.
|2010||First Round||Colorado State||L 2–3|
Titans on USA Women's Volleyball rosters
Wrestling dates to 1968 at Cal State Fullerton. The Titans never won a team championship but boast 31 conference champions, 12 Div. I and 3 Div. II All-Americans and 87 NCAA Div. I national qualifiers including at least one in each of the last 26 seasons. Titan Wrestling competed in Division I in the PAC-10 conference, as the Big West Conference did not support wrestling. Cal State Fullerton's intercollegiate wrestling program was discontinued after 43 years at the conclusion of the 2010–11 season. The program was given the opportunity to continue operating if it could fund its own annual budget. An action was considered at the end of the 2009–10 season, an extensive fund-raising campaign for the 2010–11 season came up short of the $196,145 cash deposited goal by the Aug. 2 deadline. Two former Titan wrestler's include current UFC Bantamweight Champion T.J. Dillashaw and former Pride/Strikeforce/UFC Champion Dan Henderson.
- Wrestling & Gymnastics were both dropped at the same time after the 2010–2011 season due to budget constraints.
- Fencing Intercollegiate Program for Men and Women was discontinued in 2008 due to budget constraints.
- Men's Tennis was discontinued after the 1987 season due to budget constraints.
- Football was discontinued in 1992 due to budget constraints.
The CSUF football program, discontinued in 1992, set NCAA Division 1-A records for most fumbles (73) in a single season and Most Fumbles Lost (41) in a single season. Several Titans moved on to the NFL, including NY Giants standout Mark Collins. It also produced three Canadian Football League players: Mike Pringle who is the league's all-time leading rusher, Damon Allen, the league's all-time leading passer until October 2011, and Allen Pitts, the league's all-time leading receiver until 2008 when he was passed by Milt Stegall. There is currently an effort, including a petition, to reinstate the football team.
The CSU Fullerton Titans competed in the NCAA Tournament across 10 active sports (5 men's and 5 women's) 97 times at the Division I level.
The Titans of CSU Fullerton earned 5 NCAA championships at the Division I level.
- Men's (4)
- Baseball (4): 1979, 1984, 1995, 2004
- Women's (1)
- Softball (1): 1986
CSU Fullerton won 4 national championships at the NCAA Division II level.
- Men's cross country: 1971
- Men's gymnastics: 1971, 1972, 1974
Below are six national championships that were not bestowed by the NCAA:
- Women's (4)
- Below are two national club team championships:
- Prior to NCAA sponsorship, 1 individual champion
CSU Fullerton had 3 Titans win NCAA individual championships at the Division I level.
|NCAA individual championships|
|1||1975–76||Sam Shaw||Men's gymnastics|||
|2||1982–83||Julie Goewey||Women's gymnastics|||
|3||1986–87||Li Xiaoping||Men's gymnastics|||
At the NCAA Division II level, CSU Fullerton garnered 12 individual championships.
Former Titans Athletic Directors
- Dr. Steve Walk (July 2012-Dec.2012) Interim Director
- Brian Quinn (2002–2012)
- John Easterbrook (1994–2001)
- Bill Schumard (1991–1994)
- Ed Carroll (1985–1991)
- Lynn Eilefson (1982–1985)
- Mike Mullally (1979–1981)
- Neale R. Stoner (1972–1979)
- Dr. John Caine (1968–1972)
- Dr. Elmer L. Johnson (1965–1968)
- Ernest Becker (1963–1964)
Titans Athletic Hall of Fame members
|Titans Athletic Hall of Fame|
|Kathy Van Wyk||Softball||2017|
|Mel Franks||Sports Information Director||2017|
|Mark Covert||Cross Country||2015|
|Paul Folino||Athletics Supporter||2015|
|Neale Stoner||Athletic Director||2015|
|Associated Students, Inc.||Athletics Supporter||2015|
|Bobby Dye||Men's Basketball Head Coach||2013|
|Mike Fox||Men's Soccer||2013|
|Carol Johnston||Women's Gymnastics||2013|
|1995 NCAA National Championship Team||Baseball||2013|
|Bruce Bowen||Men's Basketball||2011|
|Lynn Rogers||Women's Gymastics Head Coach||2011|
|Merilyn & Jerry Goodwin||Athletics Supporters||2011|
|Barbie Myslak-Roetert||Women's Gymastics||2009|
|Gene Murphy||Head Football Coach||2009|
|Heather Killeen-Frisone||Cross Country/Track & Field||2007|
|Leon Wood||Men's Basketball||2007|
|Greg Bunch||Men's Basketball||2005|
|Nancy Dunkle||Women's Basketball||2005|
|Tami Elliott-Harrison||Women's Gymastics||2005|
|Eugenia Miller-Rycraw||Women's Basketball||2005|
The Sports Complex is a multipurpose stadium created in conjunction with the Fullerton Marriott and the City of Fullerton. The complex includes: the 10,000-seat Titan Stadium, the Goodwin Baseball Field that seats more than 4,000, two lighted softball diamonds and a lighted track. The Titan Gym can hold about 4,000 people for the school's home basketball (men’s and women’s), wrestling, women’s gymnastics and women’s volleyball events. It also holds an outdoor swimming complex, Renovated in 1992 12 Outdoor Collegiate Tennis Courts for Men's and Women's NCAA Division 1 Teams, racquetball courts, weight-training facilities, a gymnastics practice facility, facilities for wrestling, fencing rooms, an indoor archery range, and dance studios.
Because of the proximity to Long Beach State, the schools are considered rivals. The rivalry is especially heated when it comes to baseball with Long Beach State also having a competitive college baseball program. This of one of few sports where at least two teams from the Big West Conference appear in the NCAA national tournament. Fullerton also has an intense rivalry with Big West stablemate UC Irvine; the two are the only Orange County schools in Division I.
- "CSUF Brand Central". Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- "Pre-NCAA Statistical Leaders and AIAW Results" (PDF). NCAA. Retrieved 31 Oct 2012.
- "Calif. College Basketball Coach, Fiance Found Dead". Associated Press. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- Plummer, William; Floyd, Larry C. (2013). A Series Of Their Own: History Of The Women's College World Series. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States: Turnkey Communications Inc. ISBN 978-0-9893007-0-4.
- "Division I Men's Soccer Championships Records Book" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Division I Women's Soccer Championships Records Book" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "Division I Women's Volleyball Championship Records Book" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- "Cal State Fullerton Athletics" (PDF). Fullertontitans.com. Retrieved 2015-07-16.
- "Cal State Wrestling Dropped". USA Wrestling. Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Cal State Fullerton drops wrestling and gymnastics". USA Wrestling. Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- NCAA. "2006 Division I-A/I-AA Football Records Book" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 22, 2006. Retrieved January 8, 2007.
- "Bring Back Titan Football".
- "Petition To Reinstate Cal State Fullerton Titan Football". TailgatingIdeas.com. Retrieved November 27, 2007.
- "NCAA Championships Statistics". National Collegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- "Championships Summary" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "National Collegiate Men's Gymnastics Championships Records Book" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "National Collegiate Women's Gymnastics Championships Records Book" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved 7 July 2018.