Map of Bohol with Calape highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||1st district of Bohol|
|Barangay||33 (see § Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Sulpicio Yu (LP)|
|• Vice mayor||Nelson Yu|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||76.15 km2 (29.40 sq mi)|
|Elevation||102 m (335 ft)|
|Highest elevation||150 m (490 ft)|
|Population (2010 census)|
|• Density||400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)38|
|Income class||3rd class|
Calape is a third income class municipality in the province of Bohol, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 30,146. The first settlers of Calape were said to be migrants from Cebu, and from other municipalities of Bohol.
The town center faces the Cebu Strait on the western side of Bohol Island, about 41 kilometres (25 mi) from Tagbilaran. The jurisdiction of Calape includes the islands of Pangangan (eight barangays) and Mantatao, as well as two uninhabited islets, Poom Island and Basihan Island.
There are four rivers that flow through the territory: Tultugan and Liboron Rivers that drain into Calape Bay, and Calunasan and Abucayan Norte Rivers that drain into Tipcan Bay.
Most of the coastal area is a fairly level plain that gradually rises into rolling hills of coralline limestone. The highest point in Calape is Mount Candungao in the eastern portion of the town, with an elevation of 150 metres (500 ft) above sea level.
Calape comprises 33 barangays, of which 18 are coastal.
- Abucayan Norte
- Abucayan Sur
- San Isidro
- Santa Cruz (Centro)
By the time Spaniards arrived, there was already a native settlement in Calape. In 1802, the Spanish Governor of Cebu established it as an independent municipality.
In 1957, Abucayan Norte was created from the sitios of Cabulihan and Cabinong, and Abucayan Sur from the sitios of Rama and Bino. The sitios of Binogawan, Masonoy, Bentig, Cahayag, and Lawis were also constituted into barrios.
|Population census of Calape|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- Yoyoy Villame, a novelty singer.
- "Municipality of Calape". Province of Bohol. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Historical Background". Municipality of Calape. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "About Calape: quick info". Municipality of Calape. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Topography". Municipality of Calape. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Republic Act No. 1702 of 21 June 1957 An Act Creating the Barrios of Abucayan Norte and Abucayan Sur, Municipality of Calape, Province of Bohol
- Republic Act No. 1703 of 21 June 1957 An Act Creating Certain Barrios in the Municipality of Calape, Province of Bohol
- "Population and Annual Growth Rates by Province, City and Municipality: Central Visayas: 1995, 2000 and 2007" (PDF). National Statistics Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 June 2011.
- "Religion". Municipality of Calape. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Calape, Bohol.|
|Cebu Strait||San Isidro|