Calcutta National Medical College
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Type||Government Medical College and Hospital|
|Principal||Dr. Prof: Manjushree Ray|
|Dean||Dr. Prof: Partha Pratim Mukherjee|
|Address||32, Gorachand Road
West Bengal, India
|Affiliations||West Bengal University of Health Sciences|
Calcutta National Medical College and Hospital is a leading institute for medical education and research in the heart of Kolkata. It was established by the amalgamation of National medical institute (Estd 1921) and Calcutta medical institute (Estd 1907) at 32 Gorachand Road, Calcutta-14.
- 1 Establishment
- 2 Admission
- 3 Seats
- 4 Hospital
- 5 Student Life
- 6 Cultural Activity
- 7 Number of seats
- 8 Hostel Facilities
- 9 Notable alumni
- 10 References
- 11 External links
One of the most prestigious medical colleges in Kolkata, Calcutta National Medical College has its origin in the National Medical Institute or "Jatiya Ayurbigyan Vidyalaya" in 1921, founded as a product of the Non-cooperation movement. It was inaugurated by Subhas Chandra Bose. Calcutta National Medical College is locally known as Chittaranjan Hospital. Established in 1948 the institute was nationalized in 1967. The college is accredited by the Medical Council of India (MCI). It was affiliated with the University of Calcutta till 2003. It is currently affiliated to the West Bengal University of Health Sciences.
Admission to this institute is on a merit basis and by national-level competitive examinations. Previously admission to the undergraduate course was through WBJEE and AIPMT. From 2017 onwards National Eligibility and Entrance Test has become the sole entrance test for admission to the undergraduate as well as post graduate courses. 15% undergraduate seats are filled up through all India quota and 85% undergraduate seats are filled up through state quota. For post graduate seats half are filled up through all India quota and the rest are filled up through state quota. Every year 200 students are admitted to the MBBS course based on their National Eligibility and Entrance Test (NEET) rankings. At present there are 86 seats for postgraduate degree courses, 4 seats in post doctoral courses and 4 for post graduate diploma courses.
- Paramedical - 73
- Undergraduate - MBBS : 200
Nursing : 50
- Post Graduate - Degree : 86
Diploma : 4
- Post Doctoral (Super-specialization) - 4
The courses offered are :
- M.B.B.S. (Annual intake of 200 students)
- B.Sc in nursing
Post Graduate courses
- Diploma in Anesthesia
- MD - Anaesthesiology
- MD - BioChemistry
- MD - Dermatology , Venereology & Leprosy
- MD - General Medicine
- MD - Microbiology
- MD - Paediatrics
- MD - Pathology
- MD - Psychiatry
- MD - Social & Preventive Medicine / Community Medicine
- MD - Tuberculosis & Respiratory Diseases / Pulmonary Medicine
- MD/MS - Anatomy
- MD/MS - Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- MD/MS - Ophthalmology
- MS - ENT
- MS - General Surgery
- MS - Orthopaedics
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology : DMLT (Tech)
- Diploma in Radiography (Diagnostic) : DRD (Tech)
- Diploma in Physiotherapy : DPT
- Diploma in Cath-Lab Technician : DCLT
- Diploma in Critical Care Technology : DCCT
- Diploma in Optometry with Ophthalmic Technique : D.OPT
- Diploma in Electrocardiographic Technique
- Diploma in Neuro Electro Physiology : DNEP
- Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
Calcutta National Medical College popularly known as Chittaranjan Hospital has a bed strength of 1326. The second campus of Calcutta National Medical College previously Calcutta Pavlov Hospital houses the psychiatry department. It is one of the biggest govt. medical colleges of West Bengal having extensive OPD and advanced health care services with more than 10,000 patients per day.
- Chest Medicine
- General Surgery
- General Medicine
- Gynae & Obstetrics
- Neuro Medicine
- Neuro Surgery
- Paediatric Medicine
- Paediatric Surgery
- Physical Medicine
- Plastic Surgery
|OPD Timing:||OPD ticket distribution time: 9.00 A.M – 2.00 P.M|
|Patient examination time: 9.00 A.M to 2.00 P.M or till last patient|
The college has 2 boys hostels located in the vicinity of college and 1 ladies hostel within the campus. Hostels are equipped with game's room, gymnasium. The college provides opportunity for indoor as well as outdoor games. Every year the National Premier League is held in the college campus involving cricket, football, badminton, table tennis, and other sports.
A number of cultural programmes are organised by the Students' Union.
- Saraswati Puja
- Rabindra Jayanti
- College picnic- Ullas
- Freshers' Welcome - Uddalok
- AGON, the annual cultural festival
AGON is reportedly the biggest medical college festival of Eastern India. Since its inception in 1980 Agon has been one of the most sought after college festivals among the medical student fraternity in West Bengal. The cultural festival embraces the likes of many famous celebrities of the country, drawing about 5000 footfalls a day. With more than 30 inter college events and competitions spanning for more than a week the fest is graced by the presence of 900 college students, 500 post graduate students and senior residents, alumni of the college, faculty of the college and students from other schools and colleges of Kolkata. A number of social initiatives are undertaken by the Students' Union as part of the annual cultural festival AGON, which includes Blood donation camps and Thalassaemia screening camps.
- Every year the CNMC Alumni Association organises Reunion, a 3 day gala event, in the college campus.
Number of seats
This institute like other medical colleges in West Bengal reportedly have inadequate number of undegraduate seats to cater to increasing public health demands. In 2016 , after the intervention of the West Bengal government, Medical Council of India increased the number of undergraduate MBBS seats from 150 to 200. In 2017 more number of post graduate seats have been added by MCI.
There are total three hostels for the purpose of providing proper accommodation to the students. There is one girls’ hostel and two boys’ hostels. The girls’ hostel is popularly known as the Ladies hostel and provides all sorts of facilities which are required to give proper ambiance to study for girls.
The two hostels for male students are Calcutta National Medical College Main Hostel and Chittaranjan Medical Hostel popularly known as Linton Hostel. The boys’ hostels are situated outside the college campus but within a close proximity to its premises.
- Subhash Mukhopadhyay, first Indian and second physician in the world to perform in-vitro fertilization.
- Avijit Lahiri, Director of Cardiac Imaging & Research Department in Wellington Hospital, United Kingdom
- Kesab Baliram Hegdewar, founder of RSS
- Sidhartha Sankar Ray("Sidhu"), lead vocalist of the band Cactus
- Dr. Kironmoy Das, gastroenterologist, USA. His medical publications have been used as reference in the book "Inflammatory Bowel Diseases: from bench to bedside"
- Dr. Siddharth Ghosh, Director, Dept. of Neuroscience, Apollo Hospital Chennai
- "CNMC student's corner".
- "Calcutta National Medical College: Gallery". cnmckolkata.in. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- India, Official Website of Medical Council of. "Colleges & Courses Search". www.mciindia.org. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "CNMC bed strength".
- "CACTUS : Official Website". www.cactusmusic.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Dr. Kironmoy Das, MD – New Brunswick, NJ | Gastroenterology on Doximity". Doximity. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Dr. Siddhartha Ghosh - Book Appointment Online, View Fees, Feedbacks". Practo. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Calcutta National Medical College.|