Calicut International Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Calicut International Airport|
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Karipur, Kerala, India|
|Elevation AMSL||104 m / 342 ft|
Calicut International Airport (IATA: CCJ, ICAO: VOCL), also known as Karipur Airport, is an international airport serving the cities of Kozhikode and Malappuram in Kerala, India. It is located in Karipur, about 25 km (16 mi) from Malappuram and 28 km (17 mi) from Kozhikode. The airport serves as an operating base for Air India Express. It was the twelfth busiest airport in India in terms of overall passenger traffic. It is the third busiest airport in Kerala after Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram. It was given international airport status on 2 February 2006.
The airport was inaugurated in April 1988.
Calicut airport gained its sanction after a long period of struggle, which began in 1977, under the leadership of freedom fighter late K.P. Kesava Menon. In the 1990s, Gulf Malayalis played an important part in the development of the airport - they collected funds for the purpose, when the Union Government said it did not have funds. This led to the inception of, the Malabar International Airport Development Society, which helped raise funds for the airport's development. Consequently, major developments of facilities, such as extension of runway from 6,000 feet to 9,000 feet to facilitate operation of big-bodied aircraft, were carried out, with loans from HUDCO.
It received the status of an international airport on February 2, 2006, which led to development in its infrastructure, for handling the operation of international flights from its terminal. It holds the distinction of being the 12th busiest airport in India, and 11th in cargo handling, in terms of its passenger traffic.
Recent renovation, upgrades and expansion
A 15,000 m2 (160,000 sq ft) international terminal has been opened to passengers, similar to the spacious modern international departure terminal that became operational on 14 May 2007. Five conveyor belts have been installed at the arrival terminal. The approach to Calicut airport runway is surrounded with hills and valleys. The approach funnel area of the runway 28 is a 30 m (98 ft) to 70 m (230 ft) deep undulated valley up to a distance of 6,000 m (20,000 ft), immediately following the tabletop runway of 2,860 m (9,380 ft) long. This terrain needs a special type of approach guidance lighting system to enhance safety for aircraft operations both during night and poor visibility conditions. Airports Authority of India have provided runway lead-in lighting system for the first time in India at Calicut airport as per the recommendations of the DGCA.
Widebody aircraft restrictions
Since 1 May 2015, The Airport Authority of India (AAI) has imposed the restriction of wide body aircraft such as Boeing 777 and 747 for a period of six months due to runway re-carpeting which had been long overdue at this airport. As a result, Emirates, Saudia and 2 Air India 747 flight operations had to move temporarily to Cochin International Airport during this time. The airport authorities have also expressed doubt about getting permission to operate wide-bodied aircraft from the airport even after the completion of the re-carpeting as the runway in the airport is not large enough for the operation of jumbo aircraft. AAI had earlier instructed all airports using widebody aircraft must have 240m of RESA on each direction vs Calicut airports 75m. The airport Director K Janardhanan said the short runway was a major hurdle in operating the wide-bodied aircraft from the table top airport and the runway length should be extended from the current 2,850 metre to 3,150 metre to operate wide-bodied aircraft, he added. The major hurdle in extending the runway is the delay in acquiring the land which require a total of 385 acres of land for extending the runway and associated facilities. The state government has been finding the task difficult as it requires evacuation of 1500 families living around the airport. As of June 10, 2016, not much action has been taken for land acquisition to help increase the runway length.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India||Dubai–International, Sharjah||International|
|Air India Express||Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Bahrain, Dammam, Doha, Dubai–International, Kuwait, Muscat, Ras Al Khaimah, Riyadh, Sharjah||International|
|Air India Express||Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram||Domestic|
|Etihad Airways||Abu Dhabi||International|
|IndiGo||Ahmedabad, Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai||Domestic|
|IndiGo||Dubai–International, Muscat (begins 20 March 2017), Sharjah (begins 20 March 2017) ||International|
|Jet Airways||Dammam, Doha, Sharjah||International|
|Jet Airways||Bangalore ( begins 10 December 2017), Mumbai||Domestic|
|Emirates SkyCargo||Dubai–Al Maktoum|
|Qatar Airways Cargo||Doha|
Accidents and incidents
- On 17 January 1969, Douglas C-47A VT-DTH of Hindu Publications crashed on take-off. The aircraft was operating a cargo flight. Both crew were killed.That time the airport had been initialized as an air strip at "Chelari", a few Kilometers away from the current location.
- On 7 November 2008 an Air India Airbus 310 flight AI 962 flying from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, scraped its right wing tip on the runway on landing. Certain parts of the plane's wing broke leaving a mark on the runway.
- On 9 July 2012 an Air India Express Boeing 737-800 skidded on landing, during heavy rain. The aircraft's landing gear impacted with runway beacons breaking them. There were no casualties on board.
- On 10 June 2015 An argument between the personnel of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) and Airports Authority of India (AAI) staff at the Calicut international airport in Kozhikode escalated into a gun battle, leading to one person's death and serious injuries to two others late on Wednesday night.
- Aranmula International Airport
- Cochin International Airport
- Kannur International Airport
- List of airports in India
- List of busiest airports in India
- Trivandrum International Airport
- TRAFFIC STATISTICS - INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS Airports Authority of India
- TRAFFIC STATISTICS - INTERNATIONAL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS Airports Authority of India
- TRAFFIC STATISTICS - INTERNATIONAL FREIGHT Airports Authority of India
- AAI traffic figures 2011-2012
- Calicut Airport
- Calicut airport given international status
- "Silver jubilee does not bring cheer to Karipur airport users". The Times Of India. 2 April 2012.
- Devasia, T K. "Wide-body aircraft operations to and from Gulf to stop at Calicut - Khaleej Times". www.khaleejtimes.com. Retrieved 2016-06-12.
- "Plea to acquire land for airport". The Hindu. 2016-06-10. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-06-12.
- Emirates SkyCargo Schedule
- QR Cargo to CCJ
- "VT-DTH Accident Description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- Narrow escape for AI passengers The Hindu 8 November 2008
- Jolly, Asit (30 November 2012). "On a Wing and a Prayer". India Today. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- Shooting incident International Business Times 11 June 2015
Media related to Calicut International Airport at Wikimedia Commons