Calicut International Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
|Calicut International Airport (കോഴിക്കോട് അന്താരാഷ്ട്ര വിമാനത്താവളം)|
Calicut International Airport
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Karipur, Malappuram, India|
|Elevation AMSL||342 ft / 104 m|
Calicut International Airport (IATA: CCJ, ICAO: VOCL), also known as Karipur Airport, is an international airport serving the cities of Kozhikode and Malappuram in Kerala, India. It is located in Karipur, about 25 km (16 mi) from Malappuram and 28 km (17 mi) from Kozhikode. The airport serves as an operating base for Air India Express. It is the twelfth busiest airport in India in terms of overall passenger traffic. It is the third busiest airport in Kerala after Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram. It was given international airport status on 2 February 2006.
The airport was inaugurated in April 1988.
The karipur air port situated in kondotty malappuram.
Recent renovation, upgrades and expansion
A 15,000 m2 (160,000 sq ft) international terminal has been opened to passengers, similar to the spacious modern international departure terminal that became operational on 14 May 2007. Five conveyor belts have been installed at the arrival terminal. The approach to Calicut airport runway is surrounded with hills and valleys. The approach funnel area of the runway 28 is a 30 m (98 ft) to 70 m (230 ft) deep undulated valley up to a distance of 6,000 m (20,000 ft), immediately following the tabletop runway of 2,860 m (9,380 ft) long. This terrain needs a special type of approach guidance lighting system to enhance safety for aircraft operations both during night and poor visibility conditions. Airports Authority of India have provided runway lead-in lighting system for the first time in India at Calicut airport as per the recommendations of the DGCA.
Starting 1 May 2015, the airport will be closed to wide body aircraft, like the Boeing 777 and 747, for a period of six months. This is due to runway recarpeting, which has been long overdue at this airport. Emirates, Saudia and 2 Air India flights have shifted operations temporarily to Cochin International Airport during this time.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India||Coimbatore, Delhi, Dubai-International, Jeddah(Resumes 1 November 2015), Kochi, Mumbai, Riyadh(Resumes 1 November 2015), Sharjah|
|Air India Express||Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Bahrain, Dammam, Doha, Dubai-International, Kochi, Kuwait, Muscat, Salalah, Sharjah, Thiruvanathapuram|
|Emirates||Dubai-International(Resumes 1 November 2015)|
|Etihad Airways||Abu Dhabi|
|IndiGo||Delhi, Dubai-International, Mumbai|
|Jet Airways||Dammam, Doha, Mumbai|
|Saudia||Dammam(Resumes 1 November 2015), Jeddah(Resumes 1 November 2015), Riyadh(Resumes 1 November 2015)|
|Emirates SkyCargo||Dubai-Al Maktoum|
|Qatar Airways Cargo||Doha|
Accidents and incidents
- On 17 January 1969, Douglas C-47A VT-DTH of Hindu Publications crashed on take-off. The aircraft was operating a cargo flight. Both crew were killed.That time the airport had been initialized as an air strip at "Chelari", a few Kilometers away from the current location.
- On 7 November 2008 an Air India Airbus 310 flight AI 962 flying from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, scraped its right wing tip on the runway on landing. Certain parts of the plane's wing broke leaving a mark on the runway.
- On 9 July 2012 an Air India Express Boeing 737-800 skidded on landing, during heavy rain. The aircraft's landing gear impacted with runway beacons breaking them. There were no casualties on board.
- TRAFFIC STATISTICS - INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS Airports Authority of India
- TRAFFIC STATISTICS - INTERNATIONAL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS Airports Authority of India
- TRAFFIC STATISTICS - INTERNATIONAL FREIGHT Airports Authority of India
- AAI traffic figures 2011-2012
- Calicut Airport
- Calicut airport given international status
- "Silver jubilee does not bring cheer to Karipur airport users". The Times Of India. 2 April 2012.
- Emirates SkyCargo Schedule
- QR Cargo to CCJ
- "VT-DTH Accident Description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- Narrow escape for AI passengers The Hindu 8 November 2008
- Jolly, Asit (30 November 2012). "On a Wing and a Prayer". India Today. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Calicut International Airport.|
- Calicut Airport at Airports Authority of India web site
- Airport information for VOCL at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Accident history for CCJ at Aviation Safety Network
- A-Z World Airports: Calicut Airport (CCJ/VOCL)