California Coastal Records Project
The California Coastal Records Project, founded in 2002, documents the California coastline with aerial photos taken from a helicopter flying parallel to the shore. Their webpage provides access to these images. One photo was taken every 500 feet.
The entire California coast is included, except sections of Vandenberg Air Force Base (although some historical photos are included from an earlier survey in 1989). Most of the coast has been photographed several times, and the website has an interface for comparing photos taken during different years. Kenneth and Gabrielle Adelman were recipients of the 2004 Ansel Adams Award for Conservation Photography from the Sierra Club for their work on the project.
The project was sued by Barbra Streisand, who claimed they infringed upon her privacy by displaying photographs of her Malibu home. The project countersued under the SLAPP provisions of California law, and prevailed in court. Streisand v. Adelman et al., in California Superior Court; Case SC077257
- Wasserman, Jim (November 4, 2002). "California's Coast Has New Watchdog". The Day. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- Cho, George (2005-05-02). Geographic Information Science: Mastering The Legal Issues. John Wiley & Sons. p. 46. ISBN 9780470850107. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- Vlahides, John A.; Hershey, Alex (2007-04-01). Coastal California. Lonely Planet. p. 39. ISBN 9781741044713. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- California coast & ocean. State Coastal Conservancy in association with the Romberg Tiburon Centers, San Francisco State University. 2007. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- "Coastal guardians receive Sierra Club national awards". Ventana Chapter of the Sierra Club. November 2004. Archived from the original on August 12, 2013. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "Sierra Club 2004 National Awards". Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Statsky, William P. (2010-08-26). Torts: Personal Injury Litigation. Cengage Learning. p. 519. ISBN 9781401879624. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- Streisand’s Lawsuit to Silence Coastal Website Dismissed
- Tugendhat, Michael; Christie, Iain (2006-04-13). The Law of Privacy and the Media: Main Work and Second Cumulative Supplement. Oxford University Press. p. 28. ISBN 9780199283446. Retrieved 6 May 2012.