California Independent System Operator
|Ashutosh Bhagwat, Robert Foster, Angelina Galiteva, Richard Maullin, David Olsen, and Steve Berberich|
|Products||Electricity grid management|
The California Independent System Operator (CAISO) is a non-profit Independent System Operator (ISO) serving California. It oversees the operation of California's bulk electric power system, transmission lines, and electricity market generated and transmitted by its member utilities. The primary stated mission of CAISO is to "operate the grid reliably and efficiently, provide fair and open transmission access, promote environmental stewardship, and facilitate effective markets and promote infrastructure development."  The CAISO is one of the largest ISOs in the world, delivering 300 million megawatt-hours of electricity each year and managing about 80% of California's electric flow.
The California legislature created the CAISO in 1998 as part of the state restructuring of electricity markets. The legislature was responding to Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) recommendations following the passage of the federal Energy Policy Act of 1992, which removed barriers to competition in the wholesale generation of electricity business. FERC regulates CAISO because interstate transmission lines fall under the jurisdiction of federal commerce laws.  CAISO is governed by a five member governing board appointed by the Governor of California.
Settlement for blackout
California Independent System Operator settled with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation for $6 million for violations of standards related to the 2011 Southwest blackout.
- Energy law
- Independent system operator
- List of United States electric companies
- Deregulation of the Texas electricity market
- Energy Policy Act of 1992
- "Understanding the CAISO". caiso.com. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Our commitment". CAISO. 2013. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "CAISO: Company Information and Facts" (PDF). CAISO. 2013. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "FERC Approves Fifth Settlement in 2011 Southwest Blackout Case". Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- California Independent System Operator, FERC and NERC Reach Settlement Agreement
|This article about a company or corporation involved in the energy industry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|