California Insurance Commissioner
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007)
|Insurance Commissioner of California|
|Department of Insurance|
|Term length||Four years, two term limit|
|Inaugural holder||John Garamendi|
The California insurance commissioner has been an elected executive office position in California since 1991. Prior to that time, the insurance commissioner was appointed by the governor. The officeholder is in charge of the California Department of Insurance.
- Oversees and directs all functions of the Department of Insurance.
- Licenses, regulates, and examines insurance companies.
- Answers public questions and complaints regarding the insurance industry.
- Enforces the laws of the California Insurance Code and adopts regulations to implement the laws.
- The mission is to ensure vibrant markets where insurers keep their promises and the health and economic security of individuals, families, and businesses are protected.
As a result of the passage of Proposition 103 in 1988, the elected office of the California Insurance Commissioner was created in 1991. Previously, the position was held by a person appointed by the Governor. The Insurance Commissioner oversees the Department of Insurance.
The Insurance Commissioner does not oversee the majority of Health Plans and Health Insurance. HMO Health Plans and PPO Plans offered by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of California are overseen by the California Department of Managed Health Care.
|John Garamendi||January 7, 1991 – January 2, 1995||Democratic|
|Chuck Quackenbush||January 2, 1995 – July 10, 2000||Republican|
|J. Clark Kelso||July 10, 2000 – September 17, 2000||Republican|
|Harry W. Low||September 18, 2000 – January 6, 2003||Democratic|
|John Garamendi||January 6, 2003 – January 8, 2007||Democratic|
|Steve Poizner||January 8, 2007 – January 3, 2011||Republican|
|Dave Jones||January 3, 2011–January 7, 2019||Democratic|
|Ricardo Lara||January 7, 2019–present||Democratic|
- "Mission of California Department of Insurance". California Department of Insurance. Retrieved July 8, 2008.
- Gorn, David (February 8, 2014). "Insurance Regulation Shifted Toward Health Plan Regulator".
- "AsianWeek.com". Archived from the original on July 3, 2007. Retrieved August 23, 2007.