California King Bed
|"California King Bed"|
|Single by Rihanna|
|from the album Loud|
|Released||May 13, 2011|
|Recorded||2010 at We the Best Studios and Burst HQ|
|Rihanna singles chronology|
"California King Bed" is a song by Barbadian singer Rihanna from her fifth studio album, Loud (2010). The sixth single from the album, it was released on May 13, 2011, by Def Jam. Priscilla Renea and Alex Delicata wrote the song with its main producers, Jermaine Jackson and Andrew Harr of The Runners. Its recording took place in 2010 in the studios We The Best in Miami and Burst HQ in Wisconsin. Released digitally on iTunes Store May 13, 2011, it began to be played on April 4 in Australian radios and May 31 in the US. Later, after their impact on radio areas, the song was also issued on CD single format in Europe and also an extended play (EP) digital with nine remixes from the original track.
The song had a moderate effect on music charts, leading the tables Slovakia, Poland and reaching the five best-selling bands in Germany, Australia, Austria, New Zealand and Portugal, while on the Billboard Hot 100 reached the 37th position.
- 1 Background and composition
- 2 Critical reception
- 3 Chart performance
- 4 Music video
- 5 Live performances
- 6 Other versions
- 7 Formats and track listings
- 8 Credits and personnel
- 9 Charts
- 10 Certifications
- 11 Radio and release history
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Background and composition
On March 1, 2011, Rihanna asked fans to help her choose the next single from Loud using Twitter, saying that she would film a music video within the next couple of weeks. After an influx of suggestions, the singer said she had narrowed the options down to four songs: "Man Down", "California King Bed", "Cheers (Drink to That)" and "Fading". On March 12, she confirmed that "California King Bed" had been selected as the next international single. However, the releases were switched, and "Man Down" was sent to rhythmic and urban radio stations in the United States on May 3 – before the May 13 release of "California King Bed" – making "Man Down" and "California King Bed" the fifth and sixth singles from Loud.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"California King Bed" is a rock and R&B song,  and is set in common time in the key of G major (F major for live performances) with a moderately slow tempo of 85 beats per minute. The song follows a chord progression of G/B–C2 for the verses, and G–D–Em–C in the chorus. Rihanna's vocal range in the song spans from the low note of E3 to the high note of C5. Both Ryan Burlenson of the website Consequence of Sound and James Reed of The Boston Globe compared the song with Taylor Swift's material. Emily Mackay of NME wrote that the song was a "inevitable big ballad with acoustic guitar (complete with audible string scrapes) soft piano keys and intimate melancholy, building into a massive power-balladish chorus" which she also compared with "If I Were a Boy" (2008) by American singer Beyoncé Knowles.
Andy Gill of The Independent and Ryan Dombell from Pitchfork Media both noted that the song embodies all the elements of a big power ballad, with the former stating that it is "Rihanna's best vocal performance" and the latter concurring, labeling the song as a "'I Don't Want to Miss a Thing' type power ballad genetically engineered to soundtrack a bi-coastal Kate Hudson rom-com." Daniel Brockman of Boston Phoenix writer perceived the song as an "innocuous soft jam." Slant Magazine's Sal Cinquemani called "California King Bed" a "slushy acoustic ballad whose clever metaphor is all but suffocated beneath the song's cheesy production choices" Andy Gill of The Independent, gave a positive review for the song saying that it contained Rihanna's best vocal performance to date. However, Robert Copsey of Digital Spy criticized her vocals, stating that "She [Rihanna] belts out in a range well beyond her natural vocal ability."
Scott Shetler of Popcrush commented that it was refreshing to see Rihanna release a down-tempo ballad, instead of a continuous flow of up-tempo dance songs, saying "Though ‘California King Bed’ follows a routine pop ballad arrangement, the song is a nice change of pace for the Barbadian hitmaker. As much as we love Rihanna’s dance club hits, it’s refreshing to hear a song built around her impressive voice." Stacey Anderson of Spin magazine explained the lyrical meaning behind the song, saying, "'California King Bed' is a wrenching ballad about the waking death of a relationship, the stage of limbo before the final crash; it's so well-delivered, in fact, that it's hard to hear." Robert Copsey of Digital Spy gave the song four out of five stars, saying "The fourth single proper from Loud may pull in the reins as far as the hectic dance beats and sado-masochistic lyrics go, but it's no less beefy and extravagant. Lilting acoustic guitars metamorphose into '80s rawk ones as she sings about the kind of separate-togetherness felt moments before a break-up. She belts out in a range well beyond her natural vocal ability." Thomas Conner of Chicago Sun-Times concluded that "The acoustic strums of 'California King Bed' build to a cinematic, Diane Warren-sized breakup chorus."
Entertainment Weekly's Kyle Anderson gave a mixed review of the song saying: "she [Rihanna] doesn't have the chops to be a balladeer, which made the torch-song quality of 'California King Bed' land with a thud." Similarly, Henry Goldblatt of the same publication graded the song with a B+ and gave a critical review of the title saying that it was borrowed from Pottery Barn. However, Goldblatt praised the irresistible heartbreak in the song and added that Rihanna's voice demonstrates more range and power than her older material. Andy Kellman of Allmusic and Emily Mackay of NME were more critical of the song in their review, with the former calling the song an "overwrought rock weeper" and the latter saying it is a "howler of a ballad, with shlocky acoustic intro, trite piano and a faux-Slash solo."
Before being officially released, "California King Bed" debuted on the Australian Singles Chart at number sixty-one on April 11, 2011 and peaked at number four for two consecutive weeks. The song has since been certified platinum by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA), for shipments of 70,000 copies. The song also made an appearance on the New Zealand Singles Chart before its official release, debuting at number eighteen on April 18, 2011, before eventually peaking at number four for two consecutive weeks. The song has since been certified Gold for sales of over 7,500 copies. In the United Kingdom, the song reached a peaked of number eight on the UK Singles Chart on June 5, 2011 as well as reaching a peak of number three on the UK R&B Chart on June 11, 2011. In the United States, the song made its debut on the week ending June 4, 2011 at number eighty on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and reached a peak of number thirty-seven, becoming Rihanna's 25th top forty hit on the chart. "California King Bed" ranked at number 47 on Billboard magazine's best-selling Dance/Clubs songs of 2011.
Background and synopsis
The music video for "California King Bed" was shot on March 17, 2011 and was shot by Anthony Mandler, who has frequently worked with Rihanna. Mandler directed the videos for other singles from Loud including "Only Girl (In the World)" and "Man Down". The creative director, Ciarra Pardo, fabricated a custom made eighteen foot long bed, which was designed with a special feature to transport Rihanna the full distance from one side to the other. On May 4, 2011, Rihanna posted a picture of the video which showed her laying on a man while looking in the camera. She also tweeted "Bout to tweet u sumn I cud get in trouble for! But I know ur anxious." The full video premiered Monday, May 9, 2011 on Rihanna's official website and her VEVO account. In an interview with Jocelyn Vena of MTV News, Mandler spoke of his and Rihanna's long collaborative history, saying:
I think it's something that is so unique about Rihanna whatever she's doing, whatever character she's playing, whatever side of herself she's showing, she's in it 1,000 percent... And I think the song and the theme of this song, she wanted to obviously show a softer side, a lighter side, one that's caught in maybe a tumultuous relationship... There's so much variety with her and it's been such a journey with her.
Almost the whole video set is made in tropical and romantic setting. The video begins with a shot of Rihanna herself laying down in grass. Then scenes of Rihanna walking on the beach and Rihanna curling up on the chair are shown. This is followed by her own and her partner holding each other closely in bed, sitting on different sides of a large bed, and other scenes featuring Rihanna singing through sheer curtains and drapery. In the video there are also black-white scenes showing Rihanna touching to a stone wall.
As stated by Jason Lipshutz of Billboard, in this video, Rihanna returned to nature as in her video for her previous single, "Only Girl (In the World)", which features nearly the same colors as the "California King Bed" video. Lipshutz also commented that Rihanna's just rolled-out-bed appearance is completed by the modest, cream-colored attire in the airy, light-filled clip. Brad Wete of Entertainment Weekly gave a positive review of the video, writing: "Instead of being in complete control, here she is—vulnerable, open, and unsure. The video captures the feel of 'King Bed,' not that it's a difficult one to grasp." Jessica Sinclair of Long Island Press was also positive about the video, praising the sensual side of Rihanna. A writer of The Huffington Post concluded: "In the video for her new video, 'California King Bed,' the Barbadian pop star slows it down and shows her sensitive side, holding notes and bearing her soul over a troubled relationship. Set entirely in a gorgeously pink-palleted open air room overlooking the beach, the winds swirl and blow the curtains dramatically around the heart broken singer." The writer finished the review saying that "Not much happens in the video – but then, that's the point." Amber Katz of MTV Buzzworthy compared the video with Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry" saying, that they "Both are midtempo, ballady and filmed in a soft-focus domestic setting." Katz also complimented the bed in the video saying that it "evoke[s] a very Caribbean vibe, a shout-out to Rihanna's native Barbados, no doubt." A writer of Daily Mail complimented Rihanna's looks in the video, saying that it showed her "most sultry" side. Both Nicole Eggenberger of OK! and Eleanor Young of Marie Claire commented that the video uses a lot of sex appeal which was a departure from Rihanna's older videos.
Rihanna performed the song for the first time alongside Sugarland front woman Jennifer Nettles, at the ACM Awards held by the Academy of Country Music on April 3, 2011. She was also a special guest star on the tenth season of American Idol on April 14, 2011. The performance featured Rihanna in a floor-length, heavily textured rose-colored gown, which she adorned as she appeared from behind flowing ceiling height curtains. Kara Warner of MTV News complimented the performance, saying "the 23-year-old rocked the house with an ethereal performance of her ballad 'California King Bed.'" A writer of Rolling Stone wrote: "It's a classy, laid-back performance with Rihanna in a lovely gown, backed up by interpretative dancers caressing large pieces of fabric that are probably meant to evoke bed sheets, but look a bit more like giant strips of toilet paper hanging from the ceiling. But either way, this is quite nice." In March 2011, Rihanna was appointed spokeswoman for the "100 Years of Skin Care" Nivea Commercial campaign, which featured "California King Bed" as the song used in the commercials. As part of promotion for the campaign, Rihanna performed the song at private events in several European cities in May 2011, including Hamburg, Milan and Paris. The song was also performed on NBC's Today show on May 27, 2011, as part of their Summer Concert Series. The set also featured Rihanna performing her previous US Billboard Hot 100 number-one hits from Loud; "Only Girl (In the World)", "What's My Name?" and "S&M". The song is included on the set-list of the Loud Tour (2011).
Pia Toscano and Stefano Langone, contestants of the tenth season of American Idol, covered the song during one of the nights. American rapper Snoop Dogg, released an unofficial remix of the song along with a music video. In his version of the song he sings the lines "California dreamin', schemin', you got me gleamin'/ I need you on my team 'n you get my meanin'/ It sound crazy but it's amazing/ Lay down with me so we can make some babies." The accompanying music video a girl which looks like Kim Kardashian waiting him at the hotel, while the official video of the song is played on TV screens.
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- "California King Bed" – 4:11
- CD single
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Loud, Def Jam Recordings, SRP Records.
|Australia (ARIA)||2× Platinum||140,000|
|New Zealand (RIANZ)||Gold||7,500|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
|United States (RIAA)||2x Platinum||2,000,000|
Radio and release history
|Denmark||May 13, 2011||Digital download||Universal Music|
|United States||May 16, 2011||Hot adult contemporary radio||Def Jam Recordings|
|May 31, 2011||Mainstream radio|
|June 6, 2011||Hot adult contemporary radio (re-released)|
|Germany||June 24, 2011||CD single||Universal Music|
|United States||July 19, 2011||Remixes – iTunes Store||Def Jam Recordings|
- List of number-one pop hits of 2011 (Brazil)
- List of number-one dance singles of 2011 (U.S.)
- List of number-one singles of 2011 (Poland)
- Corner, Lewis (2011-03-01). "Rihanna asks fans to choose next single". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "Singles Release Diary". Digital Spy. 2011-05-05. Archived from the original on May 4, 2011. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- Copsey, Robert (2011-03-12). "Rihanna announces next single". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- Corner, Lewis (2011-04-27). "Rihanna switches new single release dates?". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2015-07-16.
- "Impacting Songs – Urban Radio". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2011-07-23.
- "Impacting Songs – Rhythmic Radio". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2011-07-23.
- "California King Bed – Single Denmark iTunes". iTunes Store (DK). Retrieved 2015-05-27.
- Gill, Andy (2010-11-10). "Album: Rihanna, Loud (Mercury)". The Independent (Independent Print Limited). Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Mansfield, Brian (2011-04-14). "Rihanna brings her 'California King Bed' to 'Idol'". USA Today. David Hunke. Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- Schwartz, Alison (2011-03-04). "Country Music Awards: Who Rocked the Best Country-Crossover Duet?". People. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
Sugarland's leading lady, Nettles, and Rihanna teamed up to sing "California King Bed," an R&B ballad that showed off both of the starlets' powerhouse vocals.
- "2011-03-04". Musicnotes. Peer International Music Publishing. 2010. MN0092963(Product number).
California King Bed – Rihanna – Digital Music Sheet
- Burleson, Ryan (2010-11-22). "Album Review: Rihanna — Loud". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2011-11-16.
- Reed, James (2010-11-15). "Review: Loud". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Mackay, Emily (2010-11-03). "Rihanna, 'Loud' — Album First Listen". NME. Retrieved 2011-11-16.
- Dombell, Ryan (2010-11-24). "Album Reviews: Rihanna: Loud". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- Brockman, Daniel (2010-11-09). "Rihanna – Loud". Boston Phoenix (Stephen M. Mindich). Retrieved 2010-11-13.
- Cinquemani, Sal (2010-11-12). "Review: Loud". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Copsey, Robert (2011-06-05). "Rihanna: 'California King Bed'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- Shetler, Scott (2011-05-05). "Rihanna, ‘California King Bed’ – Song Review". Popcrush. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- Anderson, Stacey. "Rihanna – 'Loud'". Spin. Spin Media LLC. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- Conner, Thomas (2010-11-12). "'Loud' a well-deserved party for Rihanna". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Anderson, Kyle (2011-09-16). "Rihanna tweets about new album, promises fall release, closes up shop on 'Loud'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2011-11-16.
- Goldblat, Henry (2011-05-25). "Jennifer Lopez and Rihanna: new singles! Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Kellman, Andy (2010-11-16). "Loud – Rihanna". AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- Mackay, Emily (2010-11-12). "Rihanna – Album Review: Rihanna – Loud (Def Jam/Mercury)". NME. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- "Chartifacts – Week Commencing: 11th April 2011". Australian Recording Industry Association. 2011-04-11. Archived from the original on 2011-04-13. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- "Australian-charts.com – Rihanna – California King Bed". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "Top 50 Singles Chart – 13/6/2011". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
- "Chart #1769 – Monday 18 April 2011: Top 40 Singles Chart". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. 2011-04-18. Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- "Rihanna – California King Bed (Song)". New Zealand Charts. charts.ord.nz. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "New Zealand Singles Chart – 30 May 2011". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. 2011-05-30. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- "Chart Archive". The Official Charts Company. 2011-06-05. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "Chart Archive". The Official Charts Company. 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "Adele Remains Atop Hot 100, Lady Gaga Makes 'Hair'-Raising Bow". Billboard. 2011-05-25. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "California King Bed – Rihanna". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- Grein, Paul (2011-07-27). "Week Ending July 17, 2011. Songs: Bad Meets Bruno". Yahoo! Inc. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "Best of 2011 – Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- "Rihanna Gets in the Sheets for 'California King Bed' Video". Rap-Up. 2011-03-31. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- Roberts, Soraya (2010-10-14). "Rihanna's 'Only Girl (In the World)' video, off 'Loud' album, shows underwear-clad singer swinging". Daily News. New York. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "Rihanna Sends Strong Message in 'Man Down' Video". Rap-Up. 2011-05-30. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- "Design of Rihanna's 'California King Bed' Video Explained". The Hollywood Reporter. Lynne Segall. 2011-05-12. Retrieved 2011-05-12.
- Vena, Jocelyn (2011-05-05). "Rihanna Preps Videos For 'Man Down,' 'California King Bed'". MTV. MTV Networks (Viacom). Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Rihanna Teases 'California King Bed' Video". MTV UK. MTV Networks (Viacom). 2011-05-04. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Graham, Daniella (2011-05-04). "Rihanna leaks picture of California King Bed video on Twitter". Metro. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Rihanna Feels the Distance in New 'California King Bed' Video". PopDust. 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Vena, Jocelyn (2011-05-13). "Rihanna Gives Fans 'Another Twist' In 'California King Bed,' Director Says". MTV News. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Rihanna Cozies Up In The World's Largest "California King Bed" In Her New Video". Idolator. 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Mapes, Gillian. "Rihanna's 'California King Bed' Video Premieres". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Wete, Brad (2011-05-09). "Rihanna dreams of love in new 'California King Bed' video: Watch it here". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Sinclair, Jessica (2011-05-09). "Rihanna California King Bed : California King Bed Video". Long Island Press. Morey Publishing. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Rihanna's 'California King Bed' Music Video (VIDEO)". The Huffington Post. 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Katz, Amber (2011-05-09). "New Video: Rihanna, 'California King Bed'". MTV Buzzworthy. MTV Networks (Viacom). Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "In bed with Rihanna! Flame-haired beauty gets intimate with topless man in new video". Daily Mail. 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Eggenberger, Nicole (2011-05-09). "Watch Rihanna's Sexy "California King Bed" Music Video". OK!. Northern & Shell. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Young, Eleanor (2011-05-10). "WATCH! Rihanna's red hot California King Bed video". Marie Claire. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Perpetua, Matthew (2011-04-04). "Taylor Swift Wins at Academy of Country Music Awards". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Vena, Jocelyn (2011-03-24). "Rihanna To Perform 'California King Bed' At ACM Awards". MTV. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- Warner, Kara (2011-04-14). "Rihanna Brings Her 'California King Bed' To 'American Idol' – Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV (Viacom). Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Video: Rihanna Performs 'California King Bed' on 'American Idol'". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Video: Rihanna – Watch 'California King Bed' on 'Idol'". Rolling Stone. 2011-04-15. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Lipshutz, Jason (2011-03-03). "Rihanna Poses Topless for Nivea Campaign". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-07-30.
- Maher, Cristin (2011-05-10). "Long-Haired Rihanna Boards Cruise for Nivea Campain [sic]". PopCrush. Retrieved 2011-05-12.
- "Rihanna migrates to Milan for Nivea's 100th Anniversary". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2011-07-30.
- "Rihanna is white-hot in Paris". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2011-07-30.
- "Rihanna gets a major hair makeover before taking to the stage as a sexy sailor". Daily Mail. 2011-05-27. Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- Eggenberger, Nicole (2011-05-27). "Rihanna Gets Grabbed By Fan During 'Today' Show Performance". OK!. Northern & Shell. Archived from the original on 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2011-07-30.
- Serpick, Evan (2011-06-05). "Bikinis, Handcuffs and a Prince Cover: Rihanna Kicks Off Over-the-Top Summer Tour". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- Stevenson, Jane (2011-06-07). "Rihanna is loud, sexy and larger than life". Toronto Sun (Mike Power). Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Ward, Kate (2011-08-15). "'American Idols LIVE!': Which season 10 contestants did best? Who was the worst?". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Corner, Lewis (2011-09-26). "Snoop Dogg remixes Rihanna's 'California King Bed' – video". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi (UK) Ltd. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Snoop Dogg Remixes Rihanna's 'California King Bed' [Video]". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Calfifornia King Bed – Single Netherland iTunes". iTunes Store (Netherlands). Apple Inc. 2011-05-03. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "Bravado – California King Bed (2-Track) – Rihanna – Single CD (2-Track) – Musik". Bravado Merchandise GmbH. Retrieved 2011-06-23.
- "California King Bed (Remixes) – Rihanna". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- Loud. Def Jam Recordings, SRP Records (Inlay cover). Rihanna. 2010-11-12.
- "Austriancharts.at – Rihanna – California King Bed" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "Ultratop.be – Rihanna – California King Bed" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Ultratop.be – Rihanna – California King Bed" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- BPP, ed. (September 2011). "Billboard Brasil Hot 100 Airplay". Billboard Brasil (22): 84–89.
- "ARC 2011 Edition" (in Croatian). HRT. 2012-01-10. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201134 into search. Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- "Danishcharts.com – Rihanna – California King Bed". Tracklisten. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Lescharts.com – Rihanna – California King Bed" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "Musicline.de – Rihanna Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "Chart Track: Week 22, 2011". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Media Forest: Airplay chart". mediaforest.biz. 2011-09-03.
- "Italiancharts.com – Rihanna – California King Bed". Top Digital Download.
- "Rihanna - Chart History Luxembourg". Billboard.biz. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 25, 2011" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Rihanna – California King Bed" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Charts.org.nz – Rihanna – California King Bed". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "Rihanna - Chart History Portugal". Billboard.biz. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2012-10-07.
- "Top 100 radio and tv". Media forest. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-06-11". Scottish Singles Top 40. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201132 into search. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Rihanna – California King Bed". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Swisscharts.com – Rihanna – California King Bed". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-06-11" UK R&B Chart. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-06-11" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Chart Highlights: Rihanna 'King' of Dance/Club Play Songs". Billboard. 2011-09-12. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "ARIAEOYChart2011.pdf (application/pdf Object)" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. 2012-01-01. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Belgian Flanders Year-end singles chart for 2011". Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Best of 2011: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- "Jaaroverzichten Year 2011". Dutchcharts. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Annual 2011". Hitlistan. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Year End Chart 2011" (PDF). OfficialChartsCompany. Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- "Best of 2011: Dance/Club Songs (41–50)". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- "ARIA Accreditations". Australian Recording Industry Association. 2011-11-20. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
- "FIMI certifications" (PDF). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. 2012-09-23. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- "Sverigetopplistan: Rihanna – California King Bed" (To access certification, one must search (Sök) for "California King Bed" or "California King Bed Rihanna" and click the "Visa" button.) (in Swedish). Sverigetopplistan. Grammofonleverantörernas förening. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- "Awards 2011". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "BPI – Certified Awards Search" (To access, enter the search parameter "Rihanna" and select "Search by Keyword"). British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "RIAA - Gold & Platinum Searchable Database". RIAA. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- "California King Bed – Single Denmark iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- "Calfifornia King Bed – Single France iTunes". iTunes Store. 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "California King Bed – Single Italy iTunes". iTunes Store. 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "California King Bed – Single Sweden iTunes". iTunes Store. 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- "Hot/Modern/AC Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2011-05-14. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Top 40 Mainstream Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2011-05-03. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "Hot/Modern/AC Future Releases June 6, 2011". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- "California King Bed Germany Release". Universal Music Group. 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- "California King Bed Remixes iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2011-08-01.