California Miramar University
Seal of California Miramar University
|Motto||Scientia Potentia Est|
Motto in English
|"Knowledge is Power"|
|Type||Private, provisionally accredited|
|President||Dr. Majdin Taba|
|Dean||Dr. Kimberly Lobera|
|Location||San Diego, California, US|
|Colors||Dark red, blue, gold|
California Miramar University (CMU) is a for-profit higher education institution in San Diego, that offers degree and certificate programs through distance education, a combination of on-line and classroom (hybrid) delivery and traditional classroom delivery. It currently holds recognized accreditation directly with the United States Department of Education under the authority of the Provisional Program Participation Agreement the University signed with the Department of Education in December 2016. The University was formerly nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS)
According to California Miramar University's website, CMU purchased the assets of Pacific Western University – California, including its State of California approval status, in late 2005. As part of the asset sale, an institutions transition plan was implemented that called for PWU (California) to relocate to San Diego and teach out all active students over 18 months.
In early 2007 the conditions of the asset transition were complete and the California State Approval was officially transferred to CMU. At that time Pacific Western University (California) ceased operations. Later that year California Miramar University filed for accreditation. As part of the accreditation process the accrediting agency ruled that CMU and PWU California were separate schools that operated under separate academic standards. The accreditation agencies stipulated that graduates of Pacific Western University - California would not be eligible to receive CMU diplomas or transcripts and that the records of the two schools should be held separate. To comply with accreditation requirements, CMU transferred copies of all PWU – California institutional and student records to Education Services, which now serves as the official custodian of records for all PWU students. (For details on Pacific Western University - California prior to 2005 see the Pacific Western University (Hawaii) article.)
Accreditation and approvals
On June 6, 2009, California Miramar received accreditation by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), and on December 18, 2009, CMU was awarded a second accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS). ACICS was not re-recognized by the United States Department of Education in December 2016. CMU now holds recognized accreditation directly with the United States Department of Education under the authority of the Provisional Program Participation Agreement the University signed with the Department of Education in December 2016. The United States Department of Education's provisional accreditation allows CMU to continue to award federal financial aid to its U.S. students until June 12, 2018.
California Miramar University is California State Approved by means of accreditation under the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009, section 94890. State approval is regulated by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. (BPPE)
California Miramar University is approved by the United States Department of Education to offer Federal Student Aid for those who qualify. The university is also approved by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs through the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education to accept veterans' educational benefits by way of the GI Bill and the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 for all of the university's degree programs.
CMU was approved and certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVP and SEVIS are administrated by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the principal investigative arm of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS). CMU offers immigration status sponsorship for international ESL, certificate and degree program students through a student F1 Visa.
The University offers international students the ability to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) while they are attending their CMU degree programs and Optional Practical Training (OPT) after they have completed their degree programs. Under OPT, international students can apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to remain and work in the United States for up to 12 months after successful completion of their business and strategic leadership related graduate and undergraduate degree programs. CMU students who successfully complete CMU's Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) degree programs such as the Master of Science in Computer Information Systems, are eligible to apply to USCIS to remain and work in the United States for up to 24 months.
California Miramar University's MBA program was listed as one of the top ten MBA programs in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal, ranked by enrollment for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
California Miramar University offers the degree programs and certificate programs in English as a Second Language (ESL) and hospitality management as well as undergraduate level degrees in public administration and business administration. The bachelor level program in business administration include seven separate majors. The graduate level degrees include six separate majors in the Masters of Business Administration degree program, Master of Science degree programs in Strategic Leadership, Master of Science in Computer Information Systems and four separate majors in the Doctor of Business Administration degree program.
CalJOBS approved certificate programs
The university also offers a wide range of short term certificate programs including Cisco certifications and Microsoft certifications. These programs are approved by the State of California's Employment Development Department and are eligible for financial assistance under the Workforce Investment Act(WIA). The programs are listed at the CalJOBS website.
CMU's accrediting agency ruled that CMU and PWU - California were separate schools that operated with separate academic standards. PWU California alumni were determined not to be alumni of California Miramar University. To view PWU - California alumni visit Pacific Western University (Hawaii).
CMU is DANTES/VA DSST approved and offers several special programs for members of the United States Military, enabling members of the armed forces to continue their education through both distance, hybrid and classroom based learning, even while on active duty. In some cases, military experience and coursework may be accepted as transferable units.
CMU is also a member of the following organizations:
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
- Education USA
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) DSST
- Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)
- Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC)
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Western Association of Veteran Education Specialists (WAVES)
- Yellow Ribbon America
- College Board
- Concurrent Admissions Program for Army Enlistees (ConAP)
- San Diego Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- San Diego County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (SDCHCC)
- San Diego North Chamber of Commerce (SDNCC)
- San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce
- California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools (CAPPS)
- Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS)
- Distance Education and Training Council (DETC)
- Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)
- "ACICS Loss of Accreditation Recognition". Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- California Miramar University in Guide to California Colleges and Universities, California Post-Secondary Education Commission
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 7, 2012. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 19, 2012. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- "DETC 2009–2010 Directory of Accredited Institutions" (PDF). DETC. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 31, 2010.
- ACICS Council Actions December 2009
- California Private Postsecondary Act of 2009
- BPPE List of Approved Schools
-  BPPE official website
- California Miramar University Financial Aid
- "List of Top 10 MBA Programs in San Diego" (PDF), San Diego Business Journal Higher Education Supplement, pp. A16–A18, August 22, 2011, archived from the original (PDF) on September 27, 2011
- Ilana Herring, California Miramar University (August 25, 2011). "California Miramar University Joins "The List" of Top 10 MBA Schools in San Diego – Published Today in the San Diego Business Journal" (press release). Yahoo! News.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 7, 2012. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- "California Miramar University Catalog" (PDF). 2015 16. Check date values in: