California Shuttle Bus
California Shuttle Bus was a private bus company that provides daily bus services between Los Angeles and San Francisco, making one stop in San Jose. Founded in 2003, the company used 47-seat charter buses from MCI.
In 2008, the company started offering $5 trips, but prices later increased to $25–40. The advent of the $5 fares coincided with the cessation of Megabus service from LA to the Bay Area. Megabus has since resumed service between the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
The company offered once-daily bus service between Los Angeles and San Francisco/San Jose areas comparable to Greyhound or Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach, the former its main competitor Bus stops were located at major transit centers, hotels, and downtown areas. In Northern California, major stops included Powell Street station in downtown San Francisco and San Jose Diridon station. In Southern California, major stops were at Union Station, Santa Monica, Hollywood, and North Hollywood Metro station.
It was called a "cheap alternative for students"; although originally envisioned to attract upmarket travelers from long waits at airports, it attracted mostly backpackers, senior citizens, business people, and bargain hunters. Patrons could pay a higher fare to guarantee that their adjoining seat is empty for their comfort. Similar to Megabus, California Shuttle Bus used a dynamic pricing model where prices started very low and gradually increased as tickets were sold. Prices generally started at $15. Assigned seating was added in 2013. The company suspended services in mid-2017.
- Homepage Archived 2011-03-03 at the Wayback Machine. California Shuttle Bus. 2011. Retrieved 23-04-2011.
- White, Ronald D. (10 September 2003). "Busman Stops at Nothing - Los Angeles Times". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 23 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- New $5 Bus Service Offered By California Shuttle Bus Between Los Angeles and San Francisco. RedOrbit.com. 18-06-2008. Retrieved 230-04-2011.
- Bus line offers Bay Area fare deal Andrea Chang. Los Angeles Times. 24-06-2008. Retrieved 23-04-2011.
- Gas Busters Bus Battle Round 2: Los Angeles to San Francisco Archived 2011-07-21 at the Wayback Machine. Evan Lips. MainStreet.com. 05-06-2008. Retrieved 23-04-2011.
- California Shuttle Bus Launches New Service Between LA and the SF Bay Area. PR Newswire. 03-04-2004. Retrieved 23-04-2011.
- Bus business bustling. Jamie McClintock. Pasadena Star News. 24-06-2003. Retrieved 23-04-2011.
- Megabus, California Shuttle Bus cheap travel options for students. Allysse Delasandro. Walletpop.com. 10-04-2010. Retrieved 23-04-2011.
- TRANSPORTATION; Bus service promises life in the fast lane; Nonstop trips between L.A. and six other cities are to begin next week. Alana Samuels. Los Angeles Times. 31-07-2007. 23-04-2011.
- "California Shuttle Bus". California Shuttle Bus. Archived from the original on July 15, 2017.
We have suspended our service for next 90 days.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California Shuttle Bus.|