California State Association of Counties
The California State Association of Counties (CSAC) is a lobbying, advocacy and service organization representing the state's 58 counties at the state and federal level. Areas of focus include the state budget, health-care reform, corrections reform, transportation funding, water and climate change.
CSAC is governed by a 62-member board of directors and 15-member executive committee, led by Matt Cate, executive director. Mr. Cate previously served as the Secretary of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR). As of 2010, the organization has an annual operating budget of $8.7 million. Offices are a block from the state's capitol building in Sacramento
In 2009 during California's budget crisis, the organization pushed for additional funding for counties and helped draft a lawsuit opposing a proposed plan to divert about $4 billion in tax revenues to the state from local governments.
The organization's origins date back to informal meetings among county supervisors. The County Boards of Supervisors Association of California began meeting in 1895, later becoming the County Supervisors Association of California and then, in 1991, the California State Association of Counties.
The CSAC has founded or co-founded the following organizations:
- The CSAC Finance Corporation provides municipal finance services to counties and private entities that serve county residents.
- The CSAC Institute for Excellence in County Government provides continuing education for county elected officials and senior staff; co-presents courses with the University of Southern California, California State University, Sacramento and the Institute for Local Government.
- The California Statewide Communities Development Authority, which provides bond negotiations and other services to counties and cities.
- Schultz, E.J. (January 2, 2010). "Valley lobbying: Wasteful or wise?". Fresno Bee. Retrieved 6 January 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "California State Association of Counties website". Archived from the original on 7 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- "CSAC - More Than a Century of Service to Counties". CSAC Website. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "Counties Shoulder $4.3 billion in Cuts, IOUs $776 million in IOUs Coming in July Alone" (PDF). CSAC press release. July 1, 2000. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- Coté, John (July 22, 2009). "Cities, counties ready to fight state over cuts". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 8 January 2010.