California State Route 11
SR 11 highlighted in red
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length||1.7 mi (2.7 km)|
|West end||SR 905 in Otay Mesa|
SR 125 in Otay Mesa
|East end||Enrico Fermi Drive in Otay Mesa|
State Route 11 (SR 11) is a state highway in San Diego County, California that is planned to connect SR 905 and SR 125 in Otay Mesa with the proposed new U.S.–Mexico border crossing at Otay Mesa East. Planning for the road began in the 1990s, and construction started in 2013. The portion from SR 905 to Enrico Fermi Drive was completed in 2016. There are plans for an interchange at Siempre Viva Road, as well converting the highway to a toll road once the entire route is completed.
SR 11 is proposed to be a toll facility that will serve a new border crossing east of Otay Mesa, the Otay Mesa East Port of Entry. It will connect SR 905 and SR 125 to the Corredor Tijuana-Rosarito 2000 corridor that connects to Mexican Federal Highway 2D and Mexican Federal Highway 2 to Tecate, and Mexican Federal Highway 1D to Ensenada.
As of 2016[update], the portion from SR 905 to Enrico Fermi Drive is completed. On that segment, plans were to construct two interchanges at Enrico Fermi Drive and Siempre Viva Road as the proposed route curves to the southeast before reaching the border crossing. SR 11 will operate as a toll road once the entire route is completed.
SR 11 was added to the state highway system in 1994. Four years later, several parties, including District 11 of Caltrans, the City and County of San Diego, the San Diego Association of Governments, and Tijuana were signatories to a Letter of Intent to build the border crossing. The route was added to the California Freeway and Expressway System in 1999. In 2009, Senate Bill 1486 was passed, and the presidential permit in 2008 allowed for the border crossing to be constructed. By one year later, several alternatives were considered, in terms of constructing some or even none of the interchanges, or removing the proposed toll on the route. State funding is allocated to cover much of the $400 million cost, which does not include the port of entry at another $350 million. The California Transportation Commission endorsed the project in January 2012, and approved the proposed freeway route that December.
Plans are to construct the road in three stages: the interchange with SR 905 and the road to Enrico Fermi Drive, continuing the construction to the commercial vehicle facility, and building the border crossing itself. The first part of construction—connecting to SR 905—started on December 10, 2013 and was completed on March 19, 2016. The entire road was completed in 2017. Tolls are planned for the road in order to keep delays for crossing the border low, and this would vary depending on the current traffic at the other crossings in the area. The funds would go to both countries. Ramps from SR 11 westbound and eastbound to SR 125 northbound were completed on November 30, 2016, at a cost of over $21 million.
|0.00||0.00||SR 905 west||Westbound exit and eastbound entrance; west end of SR 11; SR 905 east exit 8; future I-905|
|0.32||0.51||1A||La Media Road||Westbound exit only|
SR 125 north (South Bay Expressway)
|Signed as exit 1B westbound; no eastbound entrance|
|1.40||2.25||1B||Enrico Fermi Drive||Eastbound exit and westbound entrance; current east end of SR 11|
|1C||Siempre Viva Road||Proposed interchange|
|Mexico – United States border|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- California State Assembly. "An act to amend Section 2982.2 of, and to add Section 3068.2 to, the Civil Code, to amend Sections 40084.5, 40088, and 40089 of the Education Code, to amend Section 29601 of, to amend and renumber Section 14035.6 of, to..." 1993–1994 Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 1220.
- "1st Segment of SR-11 Opens Along Border". 10 News. March 19, 2016. Archived from the original on March 20, 2016. Retrieved March 19, 2016.
- Hawkins, Robert (January 11, 2011). "Hearing Set on Border Highway and Crossing". San Diego Union-Tribune. p. B2.
- Sturmer, Kim (December 2010). "State Route-11 Transportation Concept Summary" (PDF). California Department of Transportation. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- California Department of Transportation (August 2013). "SR 11/Otay Mesa East Port of Entry Fact Sheet" (PDF) (in Spanish). California Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 27, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- California Transportation Commission (December 6, 2012). "Estimated Timed Agenda" (PDF). pp. 249–251. Retrieved July 2, 2015.
"Minutes" (PDF). California Transportation Commission. December 6, 2015. Retrieved July 2, 2015.
- "Assembly Bill No. 1650; CHAPTER 724; An act to amend Sections 14076.2 and 103113 of, and to repeal Section 14451 of, the Government Code, to amend Section 20300 of, and to amend the heading of Article 16 (commencing with Section 20300) of Chapter 1 of Part 3 of Division 2 of, the Public Contract Code, to amend Sections 28748.8, 100000, 100011, and 131268 of, to amend the heading of Part 12 (commencing with Section 100000) of Division 10 of, to add Section 100002 to, the Public Utilities Code, to amend Sections 8503 and 8504 of, and to amend Section 10753 of, the Revenue and Taxation Code, to amend Sections 104.18, 253.1, 253.7, 318, 344, 366, 383, 391.1, 442, 559, 635, and 2104 of, to repeal Section 574 of, and to amend and renumber Section 630 of, the Streets and Highways Code, to amend Sections 2800, 4604.5, 5002.7, 13102, 14104.5, 14105, 14105.5, 15300, 15302, 21753, 22349, 22406, 23620, 29004, 34500, 34520, 34631.5, 40001, 40303, 42001.1, and 42005 of, to add Sections 407.5, 15309, 15311, and 29004 to, to repeal Section 21100.4 of, and to amend, repeal, and add Section 35160 of, the Vehicle Code, and to amend Section 6 of Chapter 1159 of the Statutes of 1993, relating to transportation, and making an appropriation therefor". California Office of Legislative Counsel. Retrieved February 17, 2019.
- Dibble, Sandra (December 11, 2013). "New Border Crossing Plan Takes First Step". U-T San Diego. p. B1.
"Corrections". U-T San Diego. December 12, 2013. p. A2.
- "Toll Proposed at Otay East". U-T San Diego. February 1, 2015. p. SD3.
- Stewart, Joshua (December 3, 2016). "South County Freeway Connector Work Done". San Diego Union-Tribune. p. 6.
- Reynoso, S.; Howe, D. "State Route 11 Freeway Interchanges" (PDF). California Numbered Exit Uniform System. Sacramento: California Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California State Route 11.|