California State Route 135
|Defined by Streets and Highways Code § 435|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length||21 mi (34 km)|
(Does not include overlaps with SR 1 and US 101 Bus.)
|South end||US 101 at Los Alamos|
US 101 Bus. in Santa Maria
SR 166 in Santa Maria
|North end||US 101 / SR 166 in Santa Maria|
State Route 135 (SR 135) is a state highway in the U.S. state of California. It acts as a western bypass of U.S. Route 101 in northern Santa Barbara County that runs through the community of Los Alamos and the center of the city of Santa Maria.
SR 135 starts off as Bell Street in Los Alamos and goes along with Vandenberg Road after an intersection with Harris Grade Road before merging with State Route 1 south of Orcutt. There is a brief freeway portion at the northern split of SR 135 and SR 1, but it quickly reverts to a city street upon crossing Clark Avenue. North of Santa Maria Way, it is considered Business US 101, although signage is poor. SR 135 continues its northbound journey as Broadway and passes through the Santa Maria Town Center shopping center at the intersection with Main Street (State Route 166). SR 135 meets US 101 again just before crossing the Santa Maria River at the Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo county line.
SR 135 north of SR 1 is part of the National Highway System, a network of highways that are considered essential to the country's economy, defense, and mobility by the Federal Highway Administration.
State Route 135 is the original routing for US 101 from Santa Maria to Los Alamos until the current alignment was completed in 1933. But instead of turning east just before old town Orcutt and then north into Santa Maria as it does currently, it continued north along what is now Graciosa road and then Marcum Street linking up with E. Clark Avenue just north of the Orcutt water tower. It then followed Clark Avenue east through old Orcutt and turned north on Orcutt Road at the location of the current Highway 135/Clark Avenue interchange and headed north through Santa Maria.
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was in 1964, based on the alignment that existed at the time, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then, M indicates a second realignment, L refers an overlap due to a correction or change, and T indicates postmiles classified as temporary ( ). Segments that remain unconstructed or have been relinquished to local control may be omitted. The entire route is in Santa Barbara County.
|Los Alamos||0.00||US 101 – Santa Maria, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles||Interchange; south end of SR 135; US 101 exit 154|
|||1.00||Bell Street||Former US 101 north|
|||M9.10||Harris Grade Road – Lompoc||Former SR 1 south (Restricted area for trucks and autos with trailers that are over 30 feet long).|
|||M9.61||San Antonio Road – Vandenberg AFB|
|SR 1 south – Vandenberg AFB, Lompoc||Interchange; south end of SR 1 overlap; southbound right exit and northbound entrance; former CR S20 south|
|||South end of freeway on SR 1|
|SR 1 north – Guadalupe||Interchange; North end of SR 1 overlap; northbound left exit and southbound entrance|
|Orcutt||R10.41||17||Clark Avenue – Orcutt|
|North end of freeway|
US 101 Bus. south (Santa Maria Way) to US 101 / St. Andrews Way
|South end of US 101 Bus. overlap|
|15.77||SR 166 (Main Street) – Guadalupe|
|17.81||US 101 / SR 166||Interchange; north end of US 101 Bus. overlap; north end of SR 135; US 101 exit 173|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Indicates that the postmile represents the distance along SR 1 rather than SR 135.
- California Department of Transportation. "State Truck Route List". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (XLS file) on June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Federal Highway Administration (March 25, 2015). National Highway System: California (South) (PDF) (Map). Scale not given. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- Natzke, Stefan; Neathery, Mike & Adderly, Kevin (June 20, 2012). "What is the National Highway System?". National Highway System. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
- http://www.cahighways.org/129-136.html#135 July 2010
- http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/839394/Santa+Barbara+County+Map[permanent dead link] July 2010
- California Department of Transportation (July 2007). "Log of Bridges on State Highways". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation.
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS, 2005 and 2006
- California Department of Transportation, California Numbered Exit Uniform System, State Route 135 Freeway Interchanges, Retrieved on 2009-02-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California State Route 135.|