California State Route 183
Map of Monterey County in western California with SR 183 highlighted in red
|Defined by Streets and Highways Code § 483|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length||10.969 mi (17.653 km)|
|South end||US 101 in Salinas|
|North end||SR 1 in Castroville|
SR 183 begins in the center of the city of Salinas at an at-grade interchange with U.S. Route 101. The road then heads toward the center of Salinas along North Main Street before abruptly turning northwest along Castroville Road. Following an interchange with Davis Road, the route exits town and enters and area covered with farmland. It continues through this central Monterey County while gradually turning north until it reaches southern Castroville, where it again turns northeast. The road then interchanges with State Route 156 and traverses northeast as the western boundary of Castroville before meeting its northern terminus, State Route 1, the Cabrillo Highway.
SR 183 is part of the California Freeway and Expressway System, but is not part of the National Highway System, a network of highways that are considered essential to the country's economy, defense, and mobility by the Federal Highway Administration.
This route was defined in 1933. It appears to have been unsigned before 1964.
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was in 1964, based on the alignment that existed at the time, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then, M indicates a second realignment, L refers an overlap due to a correction or change, and T indicates postmiles classified as temporary (for a full list of prefixes, see the list of postmile definitions). Segments that remain unconstructed or have been relinquished to local control may be omitted. The entire route is in Monterey County.
|Salinas||0.00||North Main Street||Continuation beyond US 101|
|0.00||US 101 – San Luis Obispo, Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco||Interchange; south end of SR 183|
|R1.96||To US 101 / Davis Road||Interchange|
|Castroville||9.01||SR 156 to US 101 / SR 1 south – Monterey||Interchange|
|9.98||SR 1 north – Santa Cruz||North end of SR 183|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- California Department of Transportation. "State Truck Route List". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (XLS file) on June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Microsoft; Nokia (2011-01-19). "SR 183" (Map). Bing Maps. Microsoft. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Article 2 of Chapter 2 of Division 1 of the California Streets and Highways Code". Sacramento: California Office of Legislative Counsel. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Federal Highway Administration (March 25, 2015). National Highway System: Salinas, CA (PDF) (Map). Scale not given. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- Natzke, Stefan; Neathery, Mike & Adderly, Kevin (June 20, 2012). "What is the National Highway System?". National Highway System. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
- California Department of Transportation (July 2007). "Log of Bridges on State Highways". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation.
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS Archived July 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California State Route 183.|