California State Route 236
|Defined by Streets and Highways Code § 536|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length||17.721 mi (28.519 km)|
|South end||SR 9 at Boulder Creek|
|North end||SR 9 at Waterman Gap|
State Route 236 (SR 236) is a state highway in the U.S. state of California. It is an approximately 18-mile (29 km) "C" shaped loop route of State Route 9 in the Santa Cruz Mountains that serves Big Basin Redwoods State Park. SR 236 begins in the community of Boulder Creek and ends at Governor's Camp in Big Basin State Park near the Waterman Gap.
Several sections of the road are less than two lanes wide and large vehicles are discouraged from traveling this road. The reason for the narrow road is to not disturb the large redwood trees that the road passes by in the densely forested lowlands.
SR 236 begins with an at-grade intersection with SR 9 within the small town of Boulder Creek. The road then heads northwestward through an area of evergreen forest, exiting the town. After several switchbacks, the route heads westward into Big Basin Redwoods State Park, where its name is Big Basin Highway. Amidst the park, the road turns abruptly toward the north, where it continues winding through the forest. As it exits the park, the road abruptly turns eastward again, heading again toward SR 9, where it meets its northern terminus.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2015)
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was in 1964, based on the alignment that existed at the time, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then, M indicates a second realignment, L refers an overlap due to a correction or change, and T indicates postmiles classified as temporary ( ). Segments that remain unconstructed or have been relinquished to local control may be omitted. The entire route is in Santa Cruz County.
|Boulder Creek||0.00||SR 9 (Central Avenue) – Santa Cruz, San Francisco||South end of SR 236|
|Waterman Gap||17.72||SR 9 – Saratoga, Santa Cruz||North end of SR 236|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- California Department of Transportation. "State Truck Route List". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (XLS file) on June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Microsoft; Nokia (2011-01-12). "California State Route 236" (Map). Bing Maps. Microsoft. Retrieved 2011-01-12.
- Federal Highway Administration (March 25, 2015). National Highway System: California (North) (PDF) (Map). Scale not given. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- Natzke, Stefan; Neathery, Mike & Adderly, Kevin (June 20, 2012). "What is the National Highway System?". National Highway System. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
- California Department of Transportation (July 2007). "Log of Bridges on State Highways". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation.
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS, 2005 and 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California State Route 236.|