California State University, Stanislaus
|Stanislaus State College (1957-85)|
|Motto||Preparing Tomorrow's Leaders|
|Endowment||$12.0 million (2014)|
|President||Joseph F. Sheley|
|Location||Turlock, California, United States|
|Campus||Suburban, 228 acres (92 ha)|
|Colors||Red and Gold|
|Affiliations||California State University system|
California State University, Stanislaus, (also known as Cal State Stanislaus or simply Stan State) is a campus in the 23 school California State University system which was established in 1957 in Turlock, California, United States. It is also the only campus in the CSU system to offer a bachelor's degree in cognitive studies. The university offers 133 Bachelor's degrees, 35 Master's degrees, two Doctoral degrees (Doctor of Education), and 14 teaching credentials.
CSU Stanislaus has been rated in the top 10 public universities in the new West Coast Master's category by U.S. News & World Report magazine as well as a best buy in higher education for the past seven years. Stanislaus is also one of the two campuses (other one being Sonoma State University) in the 23-campus CSU system listed among the best undergraduate colleges by The Princeton Review.
In 1957 the California State Legislature established what was then called Stanislaus State College. The college was first accredited in 1964. Classes began on the Stanislaus County Fairgrounds in September, 1960, and the college moved to its current location five years later. It gained university status and its current name in 1986, and received a ten-year accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges in 1999 and 2010.
In 1974 the University established an extension program at the campus of San Joaquin Delta College in Stockton in neighboring San Joaquin County. In 1998 CSU Stanislaus-Stockton Center expanded and moved to its own permanent campus in downtown Stockton.
|SAT Composite (out of 1600)||923||924||925||930||943|
California State University, Stanislaus offers 42 undergraduate programs, 23 master's degree programs and eight graduate certificate programs, seven school credential programs and a doctoral degree program in Educational Leadership. Our academic disciplines are clustered within four colleges:
- College of the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Business Administration
- College of Education, Kinesiology and Social Work
- College of Science
CSU Stanislaus' College of Business Administration is accredited by the AACSB. Its Human Resource Management program has the nation’s top student testing success rate. In fall 2012, CSU Stanislaus launched an online Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree program, the first fully online AACSB-accredited MBA program offered in the state of California.
The university library building was originally named for founding president Dr. J. Burton Vasché. The library currently holds over 370,000 volumes, 841 print journal subscriptions, access to 141 electronic databases, and a growing number of electronic journals, video recordings, and compact discs. The University Library also contains a Children's collection, which has more than 5,900 titles of children’s literature. The library offers access to more than 70 electronic databases and also contains federal, state, and local documents.
Cal State Stanislaus was ranked the #10 college in the United States by the Social Mobility Index college rankings.
The Princeton Review consistently rates CSU Stanislaus among the Best Colleges in the nation, and Time Magazine recently ranked the University No. 28 in the nation for access, affordability and graduation rate.
In 2015, Washington Monthly's "Best Bang for the Buck —Western Rankings" ranked CSU Stanislaus 10th among 233 schools in the Western United States for five criteria: net price based on annual family income; graduation rate; student loan default rate; percent of applicants admitted; and applicants' ACT/SAT scores.
The University placed 10th out of 539 universities across the nation and third among the 23 campuses of the California State University system in the Social Mobility Index. The ranking examines the extent to which a university educates economically disadvantaged people at lower tuition to provide the most economic mobility. Criteria included tuition, family income, graduation rate and early-career salary.
Money Magazine ranked Cal State Stanislaus 173rd in the country out of the nearly 1500 schools it evaluated for its 2014 Best Colleges ranking.
The Daily Beast ranked Cal State Stanislaus 148th in the country out of the nearly 2000 schools it evaluated for its 2013 Best Colleges ranking.
CSU Stanislaus, in the Division II of the NCAA, competes in the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA). CSU Stanislaus fields 13 sports for men and women for the fall, winter, and spring seasons. Fall sports for men include cross country and soccer. Fall sports for women are cross country, soccer, and volleyball. The winter sport for men is basketball and for women it is basketball and indoor track and field. Spring sports for men include baseball, golf, and track and field. Spring sports for women include softball, track and field, and tennis.
|This section requires expansion. (March 2012)|
The university has a Hmong Students Association. In 2004 the association and a former member led the Project Ready for School to help children arriving in the United States from a Thai refugee camp for preparing for school.
Sarah Palin's selection as the keynote speaker at CSU Stanislaus' main fundraising event in 2010 resulted in the most successful fundraiser in the campus's history. It brought worldwide attention and provoked furious speculation and debate when the university refused to disclose her speaking fee and certified public accountants representing Clendenin Bird & Company from Modesto California were called in to do and internal audit regarding the investigation. This major scandal also brought media attention because the event was sponsored by a foundation for the school.
- Steve Andrade – Major League Baseball pitcher for the Kansas City Royals
- Gregorio Billikopf – professor and author
- Gary Condit (B.A., 1972) – former Congressman from California. He is most noted for his affair with Chandra Levy, which was exposed after Levy's disappearance. Condit was later cleared of Levy's murder and Ingmar Guandique was arrested in connection with Levy murder.
- Rusty Kuntz – former Major League Baseball outfielder and 1984 World Series Champion
- Rico Oller (1980) – former California State Senator
- Dennis Cardoza – U.S. Representative for California's 18th congressional district
- Brian Nixon– Author, Journalist, and Broadcaster
- Carrie Henn – Child actress who starred in Aliens
- Robert J. Ulrich – winner, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series
- Arnold Anthony Schmidt – Professor of English and author
- As of June 30, 2014. "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year (FY) 2014 Endowment Market Value and Change in Endowment Market Value from FY 2013 to FY 2014" (PDF). National Association of College and University Business Officers and Commonfund Institute. 2015.
- Search CSU Degrees
- .California State University Stanislaus Facts. Retrieved on February 12, 2012.
- . The Best 376 Colleges. Retrieved on February 12, 2012.
- . Timeline and Milestones 1960s. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- .Institutional Accreditation- California State University Stanislaus. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- New Students
- CSU APPLICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS REPORTS, FALL 2012
- CSU APPLICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS REPORTS, FALL 2013
- .Quick Facts- California State University Stanislaus. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- .Majors & Programs Designed for Success- California State University Stanislaus. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- .Accreditation- College of Business Administration, California State University Stanislaus. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- http://www.calstate.edu/impact/campus/stanislaus.html | CSU Stanislaus economic impact report
- .CSU Stanislaus To Offer the First Fully Online AACSB Accredited Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in California. Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- .California State University Stanislaus 2009-2010 Catalog (Page 11). Retrieved on February 13, 2012.
- "Money's Best Colleges". Money. 2014. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "The Daily Beast's Guide to the Best Colleges 2013". The Daily Beast. October 16, 2013. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Carlson, Cheri. "Students Try to Ease Hmong Transition." Merced Sun-Star. Thursday July 15, 2004. Local A01.
- Los Angeles times Sarah Palin's Cal State Stanislaus fundraiser brings in record donations, officials say
- CONDIT, Gary Adrian - Biographical Information