List of breweries in California
This list of breweries in California, both current and defunct, includes both microbreweries and larger industrial scale breweries. Brewing companies range widely in the volume and variety of beer produced, ranging from small breweries to massive multinational conglomerates. Since 1983, California has allowed breweries to sell beer on their premises, giving rise to numerous brewpubs and microbreweries.
Breweries in California produce a wide range of beers in different styles that are marketed locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. In 2012 California's 458 breweries, importers, brewpubs, and company-owned packagers and wholesalers employed over 7,000 people directly, and more than 109,000 others in related jobs such as wholesaling and retailing. Including people directly employed in brewing, as well as those who supply California's breweries with everything from ingredients to machinery, the total business and personal tax revenue generated by California's breweries and related industries was more than $5.1 billion. Consumer purchases of California's brewery products generated another $1.1 billion in tax revenue. In 2012, according to the Brewers Association, California ranked 1st in the number of craft breweries, and 19th per capita with 325.
For context, at the end of 2013 there were 2,822 breweries in the United States, including 2,768 craft breweries subdivided into 1,237 brewpubs, 1,412 microbreweries and 119 regional craft breweries. In that same year, according to the Beer Institute, the brewing industry employed around 43,000 Americans in brewing and distribution and had a combined economic impact of more than $246 billion.
- 1 Breweries by county
- 1.1 Alameda County
- 1.2 Butte County
- 1.3 Contra Costa County
- 1.4 Fresno County
- 1.5 Humboldt County
- 1.6 Kern County
- 1.7 Lake County
- 1.8 Los Angeles County
- 1.9 Marin County
- 1.10 Mendocino County
- 1.11 Merced County
- 1.12 Nevada County
- 1.13 Orange County
- 1.14 Plumas County
- 1.15 Riverside County
- 1.16 San Bernardino County
- 1.17 San Diego County
- 1.18 San Francisco City and County
- 1.19 San Joaquin County
- 1.20 San Luis Obispo County
- 1.21 San Mateo County
- 1.22 Santa Barbara County
- 1.23 Santa Clara County
- 1.24 Siskiyou County
- 1.25 Solano County
- 1.26 Sonoma County
- 1.27 Stanislaus County
- 1.28 Ventura County
- 1.29 Yolo County
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 Further reading
- 5 External links
Breweries by county
- 21st Amendment Brewery in San Leandro
- Ale Industries in Oakland
- Altamont Beer Works in Livermore
- Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward, the first brewpub licensed in California since Prohibition
- Cleophus Quealy Beer Company in San Leandro
- Drake's Brewing Company in San Leandro
- Eight Bridges Brewing Company in Livermore
- Faction Brewing in Alameda
- Fieldwork Brewing Company in Berkeley
- Hoi Polloi Brewpub and Beat Lounge in Berkeley
- Jack's Brewing Company in Fremont
- JP DasBrew in Fremont
- Linden Street Brewery in Oakland
- Main Street Brewery in Pleasanton
- Pacific Coast Brewing Company in Oakland
- Pyramid Breweries in Berkeley (closed 2015)
- The Rare Barrel in Berkeley
- Triple Rock Brewery and Alehouse in Berkeley
- Trumer Brauerei in Berkeley
- Woods Bar & Brewery in Oakland
- Working Man Brewing Company in Livermore
- Feather Falls Casino Brewing Company in Oroville
- Feather River Brewing Company in Magalia
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Company in Chico
- Western Pacific Brewing and Dining in Oroville
Contra Costa County
- E.J. Phair Brewing Company in Pittsburg
- Elevation 66 Brewing Company in El Cerrito
- Schubros Brewery in San Ramon
- Eel River Brewing Company in Fortuna
- Humboldt Brews in Arcata
- Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka
- Mad River Brewing Company in Blue Lake
- Redwood Curtain Brewing Company in Arcata
- Six Rivers Brewery in McKinleyville
Los Angeles County
- Absolution Brewing Company in Torrance
- Alosta Brewing Co in Covina
- Angel City Brewery in Los Angeles
- Claremont Craft Ales in Claremont
- The Dudes' Brewing Company in Torrance
- Eagle Rock Brewery in Los Angeles
- El Segundo Brewing Company in El Segundo
- Golden Road Brewery in Los Angeles
- Gordon Biersch Brewing Company in Burbank
- King Harbor Brewing Company in Redondo Beach
- Monkish Brewing Company in Torrance
- Ohana Brewing Company in Los Angeles
- Pacific Plate Brewing Company in Monrovia
- Red Car Brewery in Torrance
- Skyscraper Brewing Company in El Monte
- Smog City Brewing Company in Torrance
- Strand Brewing Company in Torrance
- Timeless Pints Brewing Company in Lakewood
- Anderson Valley Brewing Company in Boonville
- Mendocino Brewing Company in Ukiah
- North Coast Brewing Company in Fort Bragg
- Boca Brewing Company in Boca (opened 1876, closed 1893)
- FiftyFifty Brewing Company in Truckee
- Nevada Brewery in Nevada City
- Tahoe Mountain Brewing Company in Truckee 
- Anaheim Brewery in Anaheim
- Bootlegger's Brewery in Fullerton
- The Bruery in Placentia
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company brewpub in Costa Mesa
- Noble Ale Works in Anaheim
- Old Orange Brewing Company in Orange
- Steelhead Brewing Company in Irvine (opened 1995, closed 2013)
- Black Market Brewing Company in Temecula
- Blind Pig Brewing Company in Temecula (opened 1994, closed 1997)
- Inland Empire Brewing Company in Riverside
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company brewpub in Temecula
- Wiens Brewing Company in Temecula
San Bernardino County
San Diego County
San Francisco City and County
- 21st Amendment Brewery
- Acme Brewery (opened 1907, closed 1958)
- Almanac Beer Company
- Anchor Brewing Company
- Beach Chalet Brewery & Restaurant
- Cellarmaker Brewing Company
- Cervezería de MateVeza
- Harmonic Brewing 
- San Francisco Brewing Company (opened 1985, closed 2009)
- Speakeasy Ales and Lagers
- Thirsty Bear Brewing Company
San Joaquin County
San Luis Obispo County
San Mateo County
Santa Barbara County
Santa Clara County
- Dunsmuir Brewery Works in Dunsmuir
- Etna Brewing Company in Etna
- Mt. Shasta Brewing Company in Weed
- Right Eye Brewing in Suisun City, California
- Heretic Brewing in Fairfield, California
- Bear Republic Brewing Company in Healdsburg
- Lagunitas Brewing Company in Petaluma
- Moonlight Brewing Company in Santa Rosa
- New Albion Brewing Company in Sonoma (opened 1976, closed 1982)
- Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa
- Sonoma Springs Brewing Company in Sonoma
- St. Florian's Brewery in Windsor
- Stumptown Brewery in Guerneville
- Third Street Aleworks in Santa Rosa
- Old Redwood Brewing Company in Windsor
- Petaluma Hills Brewing Company in Petaluma
- Surf Brewery in Ventura
- Enegren Brewing Co. in Moorpark
- Insitution Ale Co. in Camarillo
- Westlake Brewing Co. in Westlake Village
- Berryessa Brewing in Winters, California
- Beer in the United States
- List of breweries in the United States
- List of microbreweries
- History of California wine
- "The Economic Impact of the Beer Industry--State Legislative & Congressional District Data, California". The Beer Institute. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "The Economic Impact of the Beer Industry--2012 Data, California". The Beer Institute. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Capita per Brewery" (PDF). Brewers Association. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Brewers Association Announces 2013 Craft Brewer Growth". Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Beer Serves America". The Beer Institute. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Lucchesi, Paolo (8 June 2015). "Craft brewer 21st Amendment crosses bay in thirst for expansion". Hearst Communications. SF Gate. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Pape, Allie (16 July 2013). "Ale Industries Opening Oakland Brewery and Taproom". Eater. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Fletcher, Ethan (3 April 2014). "Ale Industries debuts new production brewery in Oakland". SF Gate. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- Thomas, Jeremy. "In Livermore wine country, craft brewers and the city build beer industry together". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- O'Rourke, Tim. "Faction Brewing: A couple's beer dreams, thriving by the bay". SFGate. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Kauffman, Jonathan (10 February 2015). "Beer Week Debutantes: Fieldwork Brewing Co.". Hearst Communications. SF Gate. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- Fletcher, Ethan (5 June 2014). "The East Bay beer boom continues with four new openings". Hearst Communications Inc. SF Gate. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- BigKingKen. "Jack’s Brewing Company – Fremont, California". Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- O'Rourke, Tim (November 20, 2013). "Your guide to Northern California Craft Beer Country". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Kiser, Michael. "HOUSES OF CRAFT · TRAVELS Main Street Brewery — off the beaten path in Pleasanton, California". Good Beer Hunting. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Brand, William. "Background: Pacific Coast, when it all began". Bottoms Up. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Somerville, Heather (2 January 2014). "Berkeley's The Rare Barrel finds sweet spot with sour brews". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Lucchesi, Paolo (1 October 2014). "Oakland’s Woods Bar & Brewery goes experimental with bigger space". Hearst. SF Gate. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- Urseny, Laura. "What's Brewing at Feather Falls Casino: New brewery to open Friday". Oroville Mercury-Register. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- So, Adrienne. "NEIGHBORHOODS// Little Big Beer Town W13_HOODS_RYAN_RICHARDS.jpg The location of one of the country’s largest craft breweries, Chico, California is also home to a number of smaller breweries and thriving beer bars". Beer West. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Weston, Mary. "Oroville's first brewery gets started". Oroville Mercury-Register. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Gehlke, Roni. "Business spotlight: E.J. Phair offer publ-style food in historic landmark Pittsburg site". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- Tsai, Luke. "Elevation 66 Brewing Company". East Bay Express. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- McInnis, Jane (13 November 2013). "It's a Festivus Miracle Out of Schubros Brewery". San Ramon Patch. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Jones, Lindsey (April 10, 2012), "Tioga-Sequoia Brewing Co. offers something for everyone", The Collegian at Fresno State.
- The old Fresno Brewing Company building is listing #84000773 in the National Register of Historic Places in Fresno County. A new brewery with the same name opened in a different location in 2011; see "Word on the Street: Fresno Brewing Company is part of downtown revitalization", Clovis Independent, December 25, 2011.
- Steve Johnson (1 March 1997). America's Best Brews: The Definitive Guide to More Than 375 Craft Beers from Coast to Coast. Taylor Trade Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4616-6164-1.
- Goff, Andrew (October 20, 2011), "Know Your Humboldt Breweries: Redwood Curtain Brewery", North Coast Journal
- O'Rourke, Tim (November 20, 2013). "Five under-the-radar Northern California coastal breweries". Contra Costa Times. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Six Female-Owned Breweries In Honor of Int'l Women's Day, Brooklyn Brew Shop, March 8, 2012, retrieved January 16, 2014
- Jay R. Brooks (1 August 2013). California Breweries North. Stackpole Books. pp. 253–. ISBN 978-0-8117-1158-6. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Brooks2013" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Brooks2013" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Valerie Cassity (October 25, 2011). "Kern River Brewing Company snags gold in Colorado beer fest". Kern Valley Sun. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- "Hallelujah! Torrance’s newest craft brewery, Absolution Brewing, opens doors Saturday to the converted". Dailybreeze.com. February 27, 2014. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- John Plessel (November 20, 2013). "Covina's Alosta Brewing Co. opens". Inside SoCal. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- John Verive (August 17, 2013). "Angel City Brewery set to unveil -- wait for it -- an avocado beer". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- John Plessel (July 24, 2013). "Claremont Craft Ales turns one, throws party, collects shoes". Inside SoCal.
- John Verive (September 10, 2014). "The Dudes' Brewing opens tasting room in Torrance". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- John Verive (June 27, 2013). "Eagle Rock Brewery best in the world -- too bad the beer is sold out". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Todd Martens (February 14, 2013). "El Segundo Brewing is now available in bottles". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Jessica Gelt (July 7, 2012). "Meg Gill's heady run at Golden Road Brewing". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Verive, John (January 2, 2014). "The three most important Southern California craft beers of 2013". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Verive, John (September 23, 2015). "Anheuser-Busch buys L.A. craft beer favorite Golden Road Brewing". Los Angeles Times.
- Nick Green (March 27, 2014). "King Harbor Brewing, Redondo Beach’s first craft brewery, opens doors Saturday". Daily Breeze. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- John Verive (August 21, 2013). "Dog-friendly brewpubs: Five spots to enjoy craft beer with your pooch". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Lydia Chain (June 7, 2013). "Ohana Brewing's First Bottle Release: Rhino's Redemption". Beer Paper LA. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- Sarah Favot (September 2, 2013). "Brewery boom: It's all about good taste". Pasadena Star News. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Ian Rumery (October 10, 2012). "Roll on Red Car: the Red Car Brewery in Torrance". Easy Reader News. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- John Verive (April 30, 2013). "Smog City Brewing opens its own 20-tap tasting room and brewery". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Nick Green (April 4, 2015). "Thirsty for space, Strand Brewing moving to Old Torrance near other craft breweries". Daily Breeze. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Edwards, Andrew (August 11, 2013), "Lakewood’s Timeless Pints enters microbrew scene", Press-Telegram.
- Coates, Guy H. "Boca: The Town of Boca played a significant role in Truckee’s past". Truckee Donner Historical Society, Inc. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- Jorgensen, Valerie. "Tahoe Fall Fun". Diablo Magazine. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Luna, Nancy (June 29, 2011), "Anaheim Brewery opens Friday", Orange County Register.
- Lieberman, Dave (July 5, 2011), "Hops to It! Anaheim Brewery Opens", OC Weekly.
- "Best Brewery Orange County 2011 - Noble Ale Works", OC Weekly, 2011.
- Lieberman, Dave (December 23, 2011), "Hops to It! Craft Beer Comes to Orange at Old Orange Brewing", OC Weekly.
- Jilian Beck (August 21, 2013), "Steelhead Brewing to close in Irvine", The Orange County Register.
- "TEMECULA: Black Market a serious craft brew destination", The Press-Enterprise, 2013.
- Hernández, Brandon (Summer 2010). "Blind Pig Brewing Closes". The Beer Connoisseur. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Aaron Carroll (March 18, 2013). "Inland Empire Brewing Company Celebrates its 4th Anniversary in Style". Beer Paper LA. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- Laurie Lucas (December 13, 2012). "TEMECULA: Wiens Brewing Co./tasting room opens". The Press Enterprise. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- Globe Pequot Press; Kristofor Barnes (18 February 2014). Beer Lover's Southern California: Best Breweries, Brewpubs & Beer Bars. Globe Pequot. ISBN 978-0-7627-9200-9.
- Bevk, Alex (19 April 2013). "Start Off Your Friday With the Old Acme Brewery". Curbed SF. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Adventures In Hops: A Look at Cellarmaker Brewing Company". pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- Sciacca, Annie (5 November 2014). "Harmonic Brewing joins rush to San Francisco's Dogpatch". American City Business Journals. San Francisco Business Journal. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- Pereira, Alyssa (11 July 2014). "Your Guide to San Francisco’s Finest Breweries". 997Now.
- Hardesty, Kathy Marcks (February 23, 2011), "Home brewers go big time -- like it's no big deal!", San Luis Obispo New Times.
- Finz, S. (2010). "Half Moon Bay Brewing Co. celebrates 10 years". SF Gate. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Palminteri, John (January 23, 2015). "Golden Jubilee Beer Released to Celebrate Carpinteria's 50th Year", KEYT-TV. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Burchyns, Tony. "El Toro Brewing Co. Opens Pub". Morgan Hill Times. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- Hinds Doyle, Amanda (16 June 2014). "Etna Brewing Company plans a Miner Street Extension". The Siskiyou Daily News. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Eskenazi, Joe (28 January 2015). "Green Beer: With a Wind-Powered Brewery and Local Distribution, Will Budweiser Become Hippies' Brew of Choice?". SF Weekly. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Quackenbush, Jeff (15 August 2014). "Anheuser-Busch installs second giant windmill". North Bay Business Journal. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Abney, Andrea. "Bar Bites: Stumptown Brewery". SF Gate. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Charrier, Emily (5 September 2014). "Going From Red Tag to Tap Room". Petaluma Argus-Courier. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Holbrook, Stett. "Malt in the Family". The New Bohemian. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- John Holland (April 20, 2010), "Turlock Brewery honors Dust Bowl", Modesto Bee.
- Todd Martens (November 25, 2011). "Beer Notes: Surf Brewery". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- Steven Armstrong (September 6, 2011). "More L.A. Craft Beer News: Enegren Brewing Company". LA Weekly. Retrieved December 31, 2014.
- Stephanie Guzman (April 12, 2013). "From hobby to family business". Camarillo Acorn. Retrieved December 31, 2014.
- Lisa McKinnon (July 4, 2015). "Craft breweries ready to multiply in, around Ventura County". Ventura County Star. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- Brooks, Jay R. (December 16, 2013). "Brooks on Beer: 23 new NorCal breweries this year". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Levin, Sam (September 5, 2013). "California Beer Bill Would Permit Growler Refills at Breweries". East Bay Express. Retrieved 31 January 2014.