California v. Acevedo
|California v. Acevedo|
|Argued January 8, 1991
Decided May 30, 1991
|Full case name||California v. Charles Steven Acevedo|
|Citations||500 U.S. 565 (more)
111 S. Ct. 1982; 114 L. Ed. 2d 619; 59 U.S.L.W. 4559
|Prior history||Certiorari to the Court of Appeal of California, Fourth Appellate District|
|Police, in a search extending only to a container within an automobile, may search the container without a warrant where they have probable cause to believe that it holds contraband or evidence.|
|Majority||Blackmun, joined by Rehnquist, O'Connor, Kennedy, Souter|
|Dissent||Stevens, joined by Marshall|
|U.S. Const. amend. IV|
This case overturned a previous ruling or rulings
|Arkansas v. Sanders (1979)|
California v. Acevedo, 500 U.S. 565 (1991), was a decision of the United States Supreme Court, which interpreted the Carroll doctrine to provide one rule to govern all automobile searches. The Court stated, "The police may search an automobile and the containers within it where they have probable cause to believe contraband or evidence is contained." The decision also overruled the distinctions in United States v. Chadwick (1977) and Arkansas v. Sanders (1979) which had previously held that, if probable cause existed to search an automobile, the police may perform a warrantless search of the automobile and the containers within it, but if the police only had probable cause to search a container in the automobile, the police first had to obtain a warrant before searching the container.
It thereby confirmed Carroll v. United States (1925), which held that a warrantless search of an automobile based upon probable cause to believe that the vehicle contained evidence of crime in the light of an exigency arising out of the vehicle's likely disappearance did not contravene the Fourth Amendment's Warrant Clause.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- List of United States Supreme Court cases, volume 500
- List of United States Supreme Court cases
- Lists of United States Supreme Court cases by volume
- List of United States Supreme Court cases by the Rehnquist Court
- Arizona v. Gant, 556 U.S. 332 (2009)
- United States v. Chadwick, 433 U.S. 1 (1977)
- Arkansas v. Sanders, 442 U.S. 753 (1979)
- Harlow, J. M. (1992). "California v. Acevedo: The Ominous March of a Loyal Foot Soldier". Louisiana Law Review. 52 (5): 1205–1266. ISSN 0024-6859.
- Pizarro, G. A. (1992). "California v. Acevedo: The Emerging Role of Law Enforcement Officers: Acting as Magistrate". Criminal Justice Journal. 13 (2): 367–384. ISSN 1478-1387.
- Tomkovicz, J. J. (1992). "California v. Acevedo: The Walls Close in on the Warrant Requirement". American Criminal Law Review. 29 (4): 1103–1177. ISSN 0164-0364.
|This article related to the Supreme Court of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|