This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
|Founded||Newton, Massachusetts (1983)|
|Headquarters||Newton, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Howard Slavin, Founder/President|
|Products||Maptitude, TransCAD, TransModeler|
Caliper Corporation was founded in 1983 as a developer of mapping software and is headquartered in Newton, Massachusetts.
Caliper develops geographic information systems (GIS) and transportation software. Caliper is also a consulting and R&D provider offering professional services in quantitative management consulting, transportation, and decision support systems development.
TransCAD is software for transportation planning. In addition to the standard point, line, area, and image layers in a GIS map, TransCAD supports route system layers and has tools for creating, manipulating and displaying routes. TransCAD uses a network data structure to support routing and network optimization models. TransCAD includes trip generation, distribution, mode choice, and traffic assignment models that support transportation planning and travel demand forecasting. TransCAD has a set of dynamic segmentation and linear referencing tools for managing highway, rail, pipeline, and other networks.
TransCAD was first released as a MS-DOS-based transportation GIS package in 1985. TransCAD 3.0, the first Microsoft Windows version, was released on May 28, 1996. TransCAD 4.8 was replaced by TransCAD 5.0 on January 2, 2008, and later TransCAD 6.0 and TransCAD 7.0. The most current version is TransCAD 8.0.
By 2001, Caliper's new software mapping technology was being used by over fifty percent of the United States's legislatures to draft new electoral district boundaries following the 1999 census. By 2016, Maptitude was "fully loaded with just about every census information, with economic information, with every precinct-by-precinct results of elections all the way down ballot going back for years."
- Maptitude offers unbeatable mapping value for Windows (InfoWorld)
- Software helps transportation planners make decisions
- Handbook of Transport Geography and Spatial Systems
- TECHNOLOGICAL SUPPORT AND TOOLS
- TransCAD for the Web Overview
- Pinkston, Will (April 24, 2001). "Software Makes Redistricting Easier, Accessible". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "Understanding Congressional Gerrymandering: 'It's Moneyball Applied To Politics'". NPR. Fresh Air. June 15, 2016. Retrieved October 2, 2017.