This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Comune di Calitri|
|• Mayor||Michele Di Maio|
|• Total||101.06 km2 (39.02 sq mi)|
|Elevation||601 m (1,972 ft)|
|• Density||45/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Canius|
|Saint day||May 25|
Calitri is in Campania near the borders of the regions of Apulia and Basilicata. It is approximately 530 metres (1,740 ft) above sea level so on even on the hottest day there is generally a breeze. The Antico Borgo is in the oldest section of the town, the centro storico, at the top of which are the remains of a castle which predates the 12th century. The Borgo itself is a labyrinth of historic houses which have, over the centuries, been built into the hillside. Stone and marble stairs,frequently under old stone arches, connect the streets. Calitri suffered a devastating earthquake in 1980 and has only been partially rebuilt. The Castello at the top of its distinctive cone shaped hilltop is very impressive for its strong architectural forms. In recent reconstructions they are remerging as an important and physically attractive feature of the town.
Other recent excavation and reconstruction of an ancient Neviera in the Gagliano section of the town above the cemetery reveals an extensive underground, domed, ice-house of about 15 metres (50 ft) in height and 7.6 metres (25 ft) in horizontal circumference.
- Vinicio Capossela, singer-songwriter
- Angelo Maffucci, an Italian pathologist remembered for isolating the bacteria that causes avian tuberculosis.
- Donald V. DeRosa, President, University of the Pacific, Stockton, California. His paternal grandparents, Vitale DeRosa and Rachele Zarrilli, and maternal grandparents, Vitantonio Giuseppe Cerreta and Maria Concetta Abate were all from Calitri.
- Walter Lantz, American cartoonist and creator of Woody Woodpecker. His mother was Maria Gervasi from Calitri.
- Al D'Amato, United States Senator. His mother was Antonietta Cioffari, granddaughter of Luigi Cioffari, born in 1856 in Calitri.
- Anthony Bevilacqua, American Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. His mother was Maria Giuseppa Codella from Calitri.
- Carmine Infantino, American comic book artist and editor. His mother was Angelarosa Della Badia from Calitri.
- Sal Paolantonio, Philadelphia-based bureau reporter for ESPN. His paternal grandparents, Nicola Paolantonio and Angela Maria Cicoira, were from Calitri.
- Vincent Zarrilli, businessman who oversees cookware and pottery manufacturer in Boston, Massachusetts. His parents, Michele Zarrilli and Luigia Di Maio, were natives of Calitri.
- Mary Z. Connaughton, former board member of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority and the daughter of Vincent Zarrilli, mentioned above.
- Stephen J. Marcopoto, senior international media executive, EVP & President of Turner Broadcasting Asia/Pacific and Time Inc. International, grandson of Maria Francesca Lampariello, of Calitri.
- Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, Australian politician, Senator for the state of New South Wales representing the Liberal Party since May 2005. Both her parents were born in Calitri.
- Joe Langworth, American actor, Broadway dancer, theater director. His great-grandfather Salvatore Rabasco was born in Calitri in 1871.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
"The role of the seismic trigger in the Calitri landslide (Italy): historical reconstruction and dynamic analysis" Martino; Salvatore; Scarascia Mugnozza; Gabriele Publisher: Elsevier Ltd Publish date: 2005-12
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Calitri.|