Calling the Wild
|Calling the Wild|
|Studio album by Doro|
|Released||1 September 2000 (Germany)
12 September 2000 (USA)
|Studio||3:20 Studios, New York City, USA
Atom H Studios, Düsseldorf, Germany
Office Studios, Los Angeles, USA
Intermediapost, New Jersey, USA
Crownhyll Studio, Remscheid, Germany
Egopark, Hamburg, Germany
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
54:31 (US version)
|Producer||Jimmy Harry, Jürgen Engler, Chris Lietz, Doro Pesch, Lemmy, Bob Kulick, Bruce Bouillet, Andreas Bruhn, Mike Goldberg, Nelson Ayres, Rudy Kronenberger|
|US edition CD cover|
|Singles from Calling the Wild|
|Metal Hammer (GER)|||
Calling the Wild is the seventh solo album by German hard rock singer Doro Pesch. It was released in 2000, in two different editions for the European market and the American one. For this release, Doro changed labels again, having signed contracts with SPV/Steamhammer for Germany and with Koch Records for the USA. Calling the Wild was the first album published in the US after the eponymous one in 1990. The US edition contains also remixed tracks taken from the previous Doro album Love Me in Black. "Love Me Forever" is a cover of Motörhead's song from the album 1916 of 1991. "White Wedding" is a cover of Billy Idol's hit single of 1982 .
- 1 Overview
- 2 Track listing
- 3 Bonus CD (Re-Issue Digipack Edition 2009)
- 4 Personnel
- 5 References
- 6 External links
After the unsatisfying promotion and distribution of the album Love Me in Black by the WEA label, Doro signed in 2000 with the German label SPV/Steamhammer. At the same time, with the aide of her American fan club that had her demos circulating in the offices of various labels, she received an offer for an American release of her new album by Koch Records. She signed this second contract and decided to release two different editions of the album: the first one for the European market, with only unpublished songs; the second one for the American market, which included some songs from Love Me in Black.
Calling the Wild had a production process even more fragmented than the previous album and for the first time Doro herself took the job of producer. Producers and composers Jürgen Engler, Chris Lietz and Jimmy Harry, who had produced Love Me in Black, contributed again some new songs and remixed some old ones for the US edition. Motörhead singer Lemmy Kilmister contributed two songs that were independently produced in Los Angeles, and so did former The Sisters of Mercy guitarist Andreas Bruhn in Germany. The Gary Scruggs’ songs and the contributions by the guest musicians required even more independent production.
The music of Calling the Wild leaves behind the industrial and electronic sounds present in Love Me in Black and goes for straight heavy metal, filling the tracks with riffs and guitar solos galore. The remixed songs from the previous album had the drum machine parts replaced by new live drum tracks provided by German drummer Thomas Franke and new guitar solos provided by former Detente guitarist Mario Parillo and by Jürgen Engler himself. Other guitar solos came from Savatage guitarist Al Pitrelli and from Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash.
The album was re-released by SPV/Steamhammer on 25 January 2010 as a digipak 2 CD edition. The track listing includes all the songs of the European edition, all the bonus tracks and b-sides of the singles extracted from the album. The extensive booklet includes new photos and liner notes by Doro Pesch and Nick Douglas.
Calling the Wild peaked at position No. 16 in the German Longplay chart.
|1.||"Kiss Me Like a Cobra"||Jürgen Engler, Doro Pesch, Chris Lietz||3:18|
|2.||"Dedication (I Give My Blood)"||Engler, Pesch, Lietz||3:54|
|3.||"Burn It Up"||Engler, Pesch, Lietz||2:45|
|4.||"Give Me a Reason"||Andreas Bruhn, Pesch||4:19|
|5.||"Who You Love"||Pesch, Gary Scruggs||3:51|
|6.||"Scarred"||Jimmy Harry, Pesch||4:39|
|7.||"Ich Will Alles"||Pesch||2:26|
|8.||"White Wedding"||William Broad, Steve Stevens||4:37|
|9.||"I Wanna Live"||Harry, Pesch||2:42|
|10.||"Love Me Forever"||Ian Kilmister, Michael Burston, Phil Campbell, Phil Taylor||5:15|
|12.||"Constant Danger"||Pesch, Scruggs||3:39|
|13.||"Black Rose"||Pesch, Scruggs||3:43|
|14.||"Now or Never (Hope in the Darkest Hour)"||Bruhn, Pesch||3:51|
|15.||"Danke"||Pesch, Henri Staroste||2:57|
|16.||"Alone Again" (Limited edition bonus track)||Kilmister||4:20|
|17.||"I Want More" (Limited edition bonus track)||Pesch||2:26|
|2.||"I Give My Blood (Dedication)"||Engler, Pesch, Lietz||3:54|
|3.||"White Wedding"||Broad, Stevens||4:38|
|4.||"I Wanna Live"||Harry, Pesch||2:42|
|5.||"Kiss Me Like a Cobra"||Engler, Pesch, Lietz||3:24|
|6.||"Love Me Forever"||Kilmister, Burston, Campbell, Taylor||5:18|
|7.||"Pain"||Engler, Pesch, Lietz||4:10|
|8.||"Give Me a Reason"||Bruhn, Pesch||4:21|
|11.||"Now or Never"||Bruhn, Pesch||4:40|
|13.||"Constant Danger"||Pesch, Scruggs||4:22|
|14.||"Burn It Up"||Engler, Pesch, Lietz||2:54|
Bonus CD (Re-Issue Digipack Edition 2009)
- "Alone Again"
- "I Want More"
- "Rip Me Apart"
- "I Adore You"
- "Burn It Up (Thunder Mix)"
- "Burn It Up (Lightning Mix)"
- "Burn It Up (Burning Mix)"
- "Burn It Up (Burning Hot Mix)"
- "Burn It Up (Lightning Strikes Again Mix)"
- "Ich Will Alles"(acoustic)
- "Burn It Up"(acoustic)
- Doro Pesch – vocals, producer
Tracks 1, 2, 3, 5 (EU) - 1, 2, 5, 7, 14 (US)
- Jürgen Engler – guitars, keyboards, bass, producer, mixing
- Thomas Franke – drums
- Chris Lietz – programming, keyboards, producer, engineer, mixing
- Mario Parillo – guitar solos
- Al Pitrelli – guitar solo on "Dedication"
Tracks 8 (EU) - 3 (US)
- Jürgen Engler – bass, producer, mixing
- Thomas Franke – drums
- Chris Lietz – programming, producer, engineer, mixing
- Steve Stevens – guitar
Tracks 6, 9, 12 (EU) - 4, 10, 13 (US)
- Jimmy Harry – guitars, bass, keyboards, programming, drum programming, producer, engineer, mixing
Tracks 10, 16 (EU) - 6, 12 (US)
- Bruce Bouillet – producer, engineer, mixing
- Lemmy Kilmister – vocals, bass, acoustic guitars, producer, mixing
- Bob Kulick – guitars, producer, mixing
- Eric Singer – drums
- Joe Taylor – guitars
Tracks 4, 11 (EU) - 8, 9 (US)
- Michi Besler – drums
- Andreas Bruhn – guitars, bass, keyboards, producer, engineer, mixing
Track 14 (EU) - 11 (US)
- Nelson Ayres – producers, engineers
- Nick Douglas – bass
- Jürgen Engler – guitars, mixing
- Thomas Franke – drums
- Mike "Metal" Goldberg – producers, engineers
- Chris Lietz – engineer, mixing
- Mario Parillo – rhythm guitar
- Slash – guitar solo
- Kendal Stubbs – programming
Tracks 7, 13, 15 (EU)
- Rudy Kronenberger – producer, engineer, mixing
- Hill, Gary. "Doro Calling the Wild". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "Doro Metal Hammer Suchergebnis" (in German). Metal Hammer. 1 October 2000. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- Hinds, Daniel (2001). "Doro interview". The Plague.net. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Doro - Calling the Wild". Encyclopaedia Metallum. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Doro Calling the Wild Zusammenfassung". Musicline.de. Retrieved 4 September 2010.
- "Doro - Calling The Wild European Version". Encyclopaedia Metallum. Retrieved 2 May 2010.