|Calotes emma alticristatus in Khao Yai National Park, Thailand|
Emma Gray's forest lizard (Calotes emma), also known as the forest crested lizard, is an agamid lizard found in South China (Guangdong, Yunnan), India (Assam), Burma (= Myanmar), Thailand (including Phuket), Laos, Vietnam (including Pulo Condore Islands), Peninsular Malaysia, and Cambodia. It is also reported from the Satchari National Park of Bangladesh.
Three small groups of spines, completely separate from each other, on each side of the head—one behind the superciliary margin and two above each tympanum. Dorsal crest well developed on the neck and on the anterior part of the trunk, gradually disappearing behind. A transverse fold in front of each shoulder; gular sac but little developed. Tail compressed. About fifty-one series of scales round the middle of the trunk. Brownish olive, with brown bands across the back, which arc lighter in the middle and interrupted by a white band running along each side of the back; eyelids with short, radiating brown streaks; a brown band from behind the eye to above the tympanum; fold before the shoulder black, with an irregular white margin; legs and tail with indistinct dark cross bands. An inhabitant of Mergui, whence we have received it from Professor Oldham, ranging northwards perhaps to the Khasya Hills; extremely doubtful as an inhabitant of Afghanistan. It attains to a length of 11 inches, the tail measuring 8 inches. Mr. Blyth mentions it amongst a collection made by Captain Bedmore at Schwe Gyen on the Sitang River in Pegu.
- Gray JE. (1845). Catalogue of the Specimens of Lizards in the Collection of the British Museum. London: Trustees of the British Museum. (Edward Newman, printer). xxvii + 289 pp.
- Calotes emma at the Reptarium.cz Reptile Database. Accessed 9 December 2014.
- Reza AHMA, Mukul SA. (2009). "Calotes emma (Spiny-headed Forest Calotes)". Herpetological Review 40 (4): 451.
- Beolens B, Watkins M, Grayson M. (2011). The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. (Calotes emma, p. 83).
- Günther, ACLG. (1864). The Reptiles of British India. London: The Ray Society/R. Hardwicke. (Taylor and Francis, printers). xxvii + 452 pp. + Plates I-XXVI.
|This lizard from family Agamidae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|