|Defunct||October 1, 2014|
|Headquarters||Frisco, Texas, US|
InfiniDB for the Cloud,
InfiniDB for Apache Hadoop
InfiniDB (formerly Calpont Corporation) was a database management software company based in Frisco, Texas. The company developed InfiniDB, a scalable, software-only columnar database management system for analytic applications.
InfiniDB is a scalable database built for big data analytics, business intelligence, data warehousing and other read-intensive applications. InfiniDB's column-store architecture enables very quick load and query times. Its massive parallel processing (MPP) technology scales with any type of storage hardware.
By storing and managing data based on columns rather than rows, column-oriented architecture overcomes query limitations that exist in traditional row-based RDBMS. Only the necessary columns in a query are accessed, reducing I/O activities by circumventing unneeded rows.
InfiniDB is accessed through a MySQL interface. It then parallelizes queries and executes in a MapReduce fashion (similar in concept to the methodology used by Apache Hadoop). Each thread within the distributed architecture operates independently, avoiding thread-to-thread or node-to-node communication that can cripple scaling.
InfiniDB is used to enable performance-intensive analytic applications. Customers include Bandwidth.com, Tucows, Warner Music Group, Genus, Aviation Software International, Caring Bridge, Navigant Consulting and 1&1 Internet.
Variants and forks
On October 16, 2013, the company announced that InfiniDB would be licensed under the General Public License v. 2. The open source variants of InfiniDB databases are: InfiniDB Standard Edition and InfiniDB for the Cloud including InfiniDB for Apache Hadoop.
MariaDB Corporation announced on April 5, 2016 the release of its first big data analytics engine, MariaDB ColumnStore. It is based both on a fork of InfiniDB and open-source community contributions. ColumnStore supports use cases including real-time, batch and algorithmic.
On October 1, 2014, InfiniDB ceased operations and filed for bankruptcy protection in US Bankruptcy Court in the Eastern District of Texas. Existing customers may be able to receive support from other companies, notably MariaDB.
- "Name Change and Funding – InfiniDB". Infinidb.co. 2015-06-03. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- Roe, David (2010-11-03). "InfiniDB 2.0 Supports Big Data, Analytics". Cmswire.com. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- Adrian, Merv (2010-11-08). "Calpont's InfiniDB – Another ADBMS Insurgent Arises". Enterprise Irregulars. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- Vadim Tkachenko. "Star Schema Bechmark: InfoBright, InfiniDB and LucidDB - Percona Database Performance Blog". Mysqlperformanceblog.com. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 13, 2011. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- ""The Right Workloads for Columnar Databases" - Jim Tommaney, CTO of Calpont". YouTube. 2011-09-26. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "2011 Product Review Roundup". Information-management.com. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "InfiniDB « Another Word For It". Tm.durusau.net. 2011-09-21. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 9, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2012.
- "Warner Music Group Case Study In Seduction". Calpont.com. 2010-08-18. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Speaker: Fernanda Foertter: Strata 2012 - O'Reilly Conferences, February 28 - March 01, 2012, Santa Clara, CA". Strataconf.com. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 12, 2013. Retrieved January 10, 2012.
- Reviewer, Product (2011-07-13). "Calpont InfiniDB | Information Management Magazine". Information-management.com. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Customers of Calvin Pont's Dating Advisory Service". Calpont.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Calpont Signs Distribution Agreement With K.K. Ashisuto to Meet Big Data Demands in Japan - Press Release". Digital Journal. 2011-11-09. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Calpont New Licensing – InfiniDB". Infinidb.co. 2013-10-15. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "InfiniDB – MySQL Database Interface". Infinidb.co. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Open Source Leader MariaDB Rockets into Analytics Market". MariaDB. Retrieved 2017-01-17.