Rivero at the 2013 BAFICI
|Born||Carla Soledad Rivero
5 April 1987
Recreo, Catamarca Province, Argentina
|Occupation||Actress, model, designer|
|Height||5' 7" (1.70 cm)|
Carla Soledad Rivero (Recreo, Catamarca; April 5 1987), known as Calu Rivero, is an Argentine Actress and Activist. She rose to popularity with the telenovela “El Elegido” acting with Pablo Echarri, Letica Bredice, Lito cruz, Ludovico Di Santo. She made her film debut with Ricardo Darín and Alberto Ammann. Concurrently with her acting work, she has developed a career as DJ and Model.
Calu pseudonym comes from a character in the Chilean soap opera Tic Tac called Kalu, which was given by her sister Marou Rivero, sociologist and influencer. Recently, Nylon magazine has defined her as a devout vegan and environmental activist. And V magazine teamed up with Calu to illustrate some of the simplest measures you can take to reduce your fashion footprint and became a sustainable fashion consumer.
She was born on April 5, 1987 in the city of Recreo, province of Catamarca. She lived there until the age of six, when she moved with her family to the province of Córdoba, where she initiated his studies. There, in her parent’s house, artistic and creative incentives were shaping her character: spent hours with her sister playing in a room of creativity, that her parents had been conditioned with fabrics, toys, cards, pencils, noodles, paintings, books and other items.
The last years of her secondary education were marked by the start of her artistic career. After having completed high school, the future actress began studying drama at the National University of Córdoba.
Her interest in fashion and performing arts allowed her to lead a multimedia project called UsTED (Usos, Tendencias, Estilo y Diseño) at the age of seventeen.
In 2006 she moved to Buenos Aires to study drama with Norman Briski. After 10 years of uninterrupted career in television, film and fashion, that opened her the doors of public and markets as European and American, the actress lives half of the year in Argentina and the other half in New York.
In 2007 she was called to perform small participations in Son de Fierro and Lalola daily soaps. That same year she made her debut on television playing Emma Taylor in the youthful soap Patito feo, giving her popularity among children and teenagers.
In 2008 she was invited by the Argentinian producer Cris Morena to be part of the web series, Atrapados, starring Benjamin Rojas and Felipe Colombo, and directed by Thomas Yankelevich. At the end of that year, she participated in the soap Casi Ángeles, playing the role of Juliette.
In 2009 was invited by producer Dori Media Group to play the role of Alexia del Moro, the main antagonist of the series Champs 12.
In 2010, she played Lola Rivera, daughter of the actor Osvaldo Laport, in the series Alguien que me quiera, which was nominated for a Martín Fierro award. Also that year she was nominated for female revelation in Martín Fierro awards.
In 2012, she starred in Dulce amor, produced by Quique Estevanez and broadcast by Telefe, giving life to Natacha Bandi. In November of that year, she shot the film "Tesis sobre un homicido" in Spain and Argentina, starred with the actors Ricardo Darín, Arturo Puig and Alberto Ammann.
In 2014 she starred with Nicolás Cabré, Emilia Attias, Gonzalo Heredia, Agustina Cherri and Nicolás Vázquez the fiction of Canal 13 Mis amigos de siempre, playing the role of Tania. The same year she was nominated as best actress of daily fiction in Martín Fierro awards.
In 2015 she starred in the music video Todo está aquí by Julieta Venegas.
In 2009 Tom chose Calu Rivero as Ambassador for Latin America. Since that same year she is also Nike Ambassador in Argentina.
In 2011, Calu and her sister designed a special winter collection for the Argentinian brand called Complot.
She became the face of Ay Not Dead summer collection in 2012. The following year the same brand chose her to star in the winter collection. She was also elected Agatha Ruiz de la Prada Ambassador in Argentina.
In 2014, she starred the Nous winter campaign and Etiqueta Negra summer campaing, together with the soccer player Pocho Lavezzi. Etiqueta Negra chosed her again for the 2015 winter season. That same year she starred in the summer campaign of Japanese brand Fig & Viper.
In 2016, she was invited by Stella McCartney to participate of One City One Girl Paris, and recently Guerlain has called her to be part of the club Les 68. That same year she ran her first marathon in New York City and was chosen by Benetton as Ambassador of the perfume We Are Colors. He also participated alongside the polo player Pablo Pieres of Etiqueta Negra summer campaign.
In January 2017, she starred in Nike Global campaign with recognized athletes and models Naomi Shimada and Paloma Elsesser.
She has been in cover of magazines such as Bazaar Argentina, Cosmopolitan, Ohlala, Para Ti and Hola!. She has also been highlighted in editorial notes of Glamour Spain, Vogue Girl Japan, Vogue Spain, Mexico and United States, and Nylon magazine, Coveteur, Vmagazine, Atelier Doré.
From October 2016, she is represented in the United States by The Society Management Agency, who represents figures like Kendall Jenner, Adriana Lima, Willow and Jared Smith and Brooklyn Beckham.
In 2008 she was declared illustrious citizen of Recreo, for being the first actress of Catamarca to reach the national television.
Calu was walking a path of self-awareness and consciousness about the environment that led her to define themselves as vegetarian, and then to adopt veganism. The growing interest, public advocacy and activism in social networks against animal abuse motivate her to be the face of cruelty-free clothing brands. Continuously, she participates in campaigns against animal abuse such as the Greenpeace cause of saving whales.
In May 2016, in the framework of the Cannes Film Festival, she was invited by Colin Firth and Livia to participate in the Green Carpet hosted by Eco Age, organization that seeks to introduce the concept of sustainability in fashion and the importance of the commitment to human rights since the beginning of the production chain. That same year the International Olympic Committee chose her as Olympic torch bearer, given her power to influence through social networks on the youngest sector of the population, her international profile, and her recognized profile as an advocate of any form of life, and the struggle for social equality.
As a DJ
Calu Rivero stated that “music has a significant place” in her life. For her role of occasional DJ —as she defines herself— Rivero is called by different clubs or events in Argentina and the region to play her mash ups. In 2014, along with Alonso Morning, they formed a group called The Changuitos, they held presentations in Europe and have disc called Un Charco Gigante.
|2013||Tesis sobre un homicidio||Laura Di Natale||Film debut|
|2007||Patito Feo||Emma||El Trece|
|2009||Champs 12||Alexia||Canal 9|
|2010||Alguien que me quiera||Lola Rivera||El Trece|
|2011||El elegido||Erica Linares||Telefe|
|2012||Dulce Amor||Natacha Bandi||Telefe|
|2014||Mis amigos de siempre||Tania||El Trece|
- "Calu Rivero: "Busco el lado alegre de las cosas"". revistaohlala.com (in Spanish).
- "La bella catamarqueña Calu Rivero cautiva la pantalla" (in Spanish). Contexto.com.ar. Retrieved 2011-03-04.
- "Calu Rivero: una chica que pisa fuerte en la televisión". La Nación (in Spanish).
- "Calu Rivero". cinenacional.com (in Spanish).
- Igneri, Jenna. "How This Instagram It Girl Uses Social Media To Help Protect Our Planet". Nylon.
- "Yo digo de mi" (in Spanish). calurivero.com.
- "Emmanuel Horvilleur y Calu Rivero: Amor en pausa" (in Spanish). Clarín.
- "Calu Rivero - Reconocimiento" (in Spanish). elesquiu.com.
- "Calu Rivero en "Champs 12"" (in Spanish). extremista.com.ar.
- "Ganadores Premios Martín Fierro 2011". aptra.org.ar (in Spanish).
- "Calu Rivero habló sobre su personaje" (in Spanish). elelegido.telefe.com.
- ""El elegido" arrasó con seis estatuillas" (in Spanish). Diario Clarín.
- "Personajes" (in Spanish). telefe.com.
- "Las primeras imágenes del nuevo film de Ricardo Darín y Calu Rivero" (in Spanish). La Nación (Argentina).
- Rivero, Calu. "Poncho ft. Maxi Trusso - Please me (video Oficial)" (in Spanish). PopArt Discos.
- Rivero, Calu. "Emmanuel Horvilleur - 12:30" (in Spanish). ehorvilleurVEVO.
- Rivero, Calu. "Julieta Venegas - Todo Está Aquí (Official Video)" (in Spanish). julietavenegasVEVO.
- "Calu Rivero, protagonista de Tesis sobre un homicidio, la Blanca Suárez de Argentina". Glamour (in Spanish).
- Rivero, Calu. "Prohibidos los pitillo". Vogue (in Spanish).
- Luckel, Madeleine. "Argentinean Actress Calu Rivero's Winter Road Trip Through Uruguay". Vogue.
- Gándara, Mariana. "Calu Rivero: "Ser vegana es un acto de amor"" (in Spanish).
- "Calu Rivero: Activista de Greenpeace en defensa de los bosques". Greenpeace (in Spanish).
- "Calu Rivero en el Esperanza". Greenpeace (in Spanish).
- "Colin & Livia Firth and Caroline Scheufele host intimate lunch to celebrate Chopard's latest Green Carpet Collection". Eco-Age.
- "Rio organizers make controversial marketing move". Buenos Aires Herald.
- "Invitada a presentar los 10 + pedidos en MTV" (in Spanish). calurivero.com.
- "Todos los nominados a los Martín Fierro 2014" [All the nominations for the 2014 Martín Fierro] (in Spanish). La Nación. April 15, 2014. Retrieved April 14, 2014.