Calvin Carl Gotlieb
March 27, 1921
|Died||October 16, 2016 (aged 95)|
|Alma mater||University of Toronto|
|Occupation||computer scientist, university professor|
(m. 1949; died 2009)
|Awards||Order of Canada|
Calvin Carl "Kelly" Gotlieb, CM FRSC (March 27, 1921 – October 16, 2016) was a Canadian professor and computer scientist who has been called the "Father of Computing" in Canada. He was a Professor in Computer Science at the University of Toronto.
In 1948, he co-founded the computation centre at the University of Toronto and was part of the first team in Canada to build computers and to provide computing services. In 1950, he created the first university course on computing in Canada and in 1951 offered the first graduate course. In 1964, he helped to found the first Canadian graduate department of computer science at the University of Toronto.
In 1958, he helped to found the Canadian Information Processing Society and was its president from 1960 to 1961.
In 1995, he was made a Member of the Order of Canada. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and in 2006, a founding Fellow of the Canadian Information Processing Society. In 1994, he received the International Federation for Information Processing Isaac L. Auerbach Award and was inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery.
He was married to Phyllis Bloom, a Canadian science fiction novelist and poet, from 1949 until her death in 2009. Kelly and Phyllis Gotlieb had three children: son Leo Gotlieb; daughters Margaret Gotlieb and Jane Lipson.
- "Awards and Accolades May 2006 Gotlieb Elected Inaugural CIPS Fellow". University of Toronto. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- "CIPS Fellow Members". CIPS (the Canadian Information Processing Society). Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Bill Atkinson (November 3, 2016). "Kelly Gotlieb was the father of Canadian computing". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- University of Toronto (October 2016). "In Memoriam: The "Father of Computing in Canada" Calvin C. Gotlieb". University of Toronto Computer Science. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- ACM Staff (October 21, 2016). "In Memoriam: Calvin Carl "kelly" Gotlieb 1921-2016". ACM. Communications of the ACM. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Calvin Carl Gotlieb at The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Prof. Gotlieb, Classified Work interview with, Stephen Ibaraki
- Prof. Gotlieb, Pioneer in Computing Profile by, Stephen Ibaraki
- Prof. Gotlieb, International Science and Engineering Fair interview with, Stephen Ibaraki
- Prof. Gotlieb, Security Trumps Privacy interview with, Stephen Ibaraki
- Prof. Gotlieb, Skills Shortage interview with, Stephen Ibaraki
- Prof. Gotlieb, Evolution of Computers interview with, Stephen Ibaraki
- Prof. Gotlieb, Foundational work with the ACM interview with, Stephen Ibaraki
- Prof. Gotlieb, IFIP and CIPS interview with, Stephen Ibaraki