Calvin Russell (musician)
Calvin Russell, 2007
|Birth name||Calvert Russell Kosler|
November 1, 1948|
Austin, Texas, USA
April 3, 2011 (aged 62)|
Garfield, Texas, USA
Jon Dee Graham|
Townes Van Zandt
Early life and career
Russell was born in Austin, Texas, on November 1, 1948. At age 12, Russell began learning guitar and at 13 joined a band called The Cavemen. In 1989, he met Patrick Mathe of the French record label, New Rose Records, while at a party in Austin and gave him a demo tape intended for noted Austin guitarist and producer, Charlie Sexton. He would go on to sign with the label releasing his first solo album in 1990 entitled A Crack In Time. In promotion of the album, Russell began touring extensively throughout Europe achieving a level of success he had yet to obtain back in the United States.
Russell would go on to release over a dozen albums on various labels. Throughout his career, he battled with drug and alcohol addiction and was arrested in Texas for cocaine possession in 1995.
Illness and death
On April 3, 2011, Russell died in Garfield, Texas, after a lengthy battle with liver cancer at the age of 62. He is survived by Swiss-born wife, Cynthia, who continues to live in Central Texas and son, Justin.
- 1990: A Crack In Time (New Rose/SPV Recordings)
- 1991: Sounds From The Fourth World (New Rose/SPV Recordings)
- 1992: Soldier (New Rose/SPV)
- 1993: Le Voyageur - Live (New Rose/SPV)
- 1995: Dream Of The Dog (SPV Recordings)
- 1997: Calvin Russell (Last Call/SPV Recordings/Columbia)
- 1999: Sam (SPV Recordings/Columbia)
- 2000: Crossroad - Live (Last Call)
- 2001: Rebel Radio (SPV Recordings/Freefalls Entertainment/Dixiefrog)
- 2005: In Spite Of It All (SPV Recordings)
- 2006: Live at the Kremlin (New Rose)
- 2007: Unrepentant (XIII BIS)
- 2009: Dawg Eat Dawg (XIII BIS)
- 2010: Contrabendo - Live (XIII BIS)
- 2011: The Last Call, In The Heat Of A Night.. - Live CD/DVD (XIII BIS)
- 1985: "Behind eight Ball/Baby I Love You" (MPPA)
- 1991: "You're My Baby/Baby I Love" (New Rose)
- 1991: "Crossroads/"Rockin' The Republicans" (New Rose)
- 1992: "Soldier" (New Rose)
- 1993: "This Is Your World" (New Rose)
- 1997: "Crossroads" (Columbia)
- 1997: The Story Of Calvin Russell - This Is My Life (SPV Recordings/Columbia)
- 2004: A Man In Full - The Best of Calvin Russell (Last Call)
- 1988: The Characters - Act I (Full Blast)
- Davet, Stéphane (April 8, 2011). "Calvin Russell obituary". Le Monde.
- Morris, Christopher (April 3, 2011). "Singer-songwriter Calvin Russell dies". Variety. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- Corcoran, Michael (April 3, 2011). "Memories of Calvin Russell and his crack in time". Austin360.com. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Calvin Russell.|