June 5, 1989 |
Riverside, CT, USA
|Height||5 ft 7 in (170 cm)|
|Weight||173 lb (78 kg; 12 st 5 lb)|
|NHL team||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|National team||United States|
|NHL Draft||157th overall, 2008
Columbus Blue Jackets
Cameron Thomas Atkinson (born June 5, 1989) is an American professional ice hockey player currently playing for the Columbus Blue Jackets of the National Hockey League (NHL). Atkinson was selected by the Blue Jackets in the sixth round, 157th overall, of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Although smaller than most forwards in the NHL, he is known for his great speed, soft hands and excellent shooting skills.
Atkinson was selected by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the sixth round, 157th overall, of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft out of Avon Old Farms School in Avon, Connecticut. He later attended Boston College, where he played for the Eagles hockey team in the NCAA's Division I Hockey East conference.
In the 2009–10 season, Atkinson lead the NCAA in goals scored with 30, including two in the National Championship game. During one stretch of the 2009–10 season Atkinson scored three hat-tricks in ten games.
In March 2011, Atkinson signed a two-year contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets. He then began playing for the Springfield Falcons, the Blue Jackets' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate. While with the Falcons, Atkinson made his mark on the team by recording three goals and two assists for five points in five games.
His first NHL goal was scored on October 10, 2011, against Cory Schneider of the Vancouver Canucks, a game the Canucks won 3–2. He was returned to Springfield after playing four games with Columbus in the 2011–12 NHL season.
After his return to the AHL, Atkinson was named to the 2012 AHL Eastern Conference All-Star Team on January 4, 2012, as a result of his impressive play with Springfield during the 2011–12 AHL season, with 15 goals and ten assists through 30 games. He was one of 13 rookies named to the two All-Star teams.
On April 5, 2012, Atkinson recorded his first career NHL hat-trick against the Colorado Avalanche in a 5–2 Blue Jacket win.
Regular season and playoffs
|2011–12||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||27||7||7||14||14||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||35||9||9||18||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||79||21||19||40||18||6||1||2||3||0|
|2014–15||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||78||22||18||40||22||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|All-Hockey East Second Team||2009–10|||
|NCAA All-Tournament Team||2010|||
|All-Hockey East First Team||2010–11|||
|AHCA East First-Team All-American||2010–11|
|Hockey East All-Tournament Team||2011|||
|Hockey East Tournament MVP||2011|||
|AHL Eastern Conference All-Star Team||2011–12|||
- Howe, Jeff (31 March 2010). "BC's Chris Kreider, Cam Atkinson Among Players to Watch During Frozen Four". NESN. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Connolly, John (11 April 2010). "Cam Atkinson reaches goals". The Boston Herald. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Marrapese-Burrell, Nancy (9 April 2010). "Atkinson helped to hold the line". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "Blue Jackets sign Boston College forward Atkinson". USA Today. Associated Press. 27 March 2011. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
- Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets Game Recap - 10/10/2011
- Berlet, B. "Whale Suffer Shootout Loss in Home Opener". Connecticut Whale. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League | 2012 All-Star rosters unveiled
- "Cam Atkinson Profile". The Hockey News.
- "NCAA Frozen Four Records" (PDF). NCAA.org. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- National Hockey League (2010). The National Hockey League Official Guide & Record Book/2011. Triumph Books. p. 277. ISBN 978-1-60078-422-4.
- Hockey East First-Team All-Stars
- "Hockey East Announces 2010-2011 All-Star Teams". Hockey East Online.
- "2013-14 Hockey East Media Guide". Hockey East. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- "Hockey East Tournament 2011: Boston College Defends Title, Wins 5-3 Over Merrimack". SB Nation Boston.
- Cam Atkinson's player profile at NHL.com
- Cam Atkinson's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Cameron Atkinson's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
|William Flynn Tournament Most Valuable Player