Cam Ranh International Airport
Cam Ranh International Airport
Sân bay Quốc tế Cam Ranh
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Owner/Operator||Airports Corporation of Vietnam|
|Serves||Nha Trang, Vietnam|
|Location||Cam Ranh, Vietnam|
|Hub for||Vietnam Airlines|
|Focus city for||VietJet Air|
|Elevation AMSL||40 ft / 12 m|
Source: Taseco Airs
Cam Ranh International Airport (IATA: CXR, ICAO: VVCR) (Vietnamese: Sân bay Quốc tế Cam Ranh) is located on Cam Ranh Bay in Cam Ranh, a town in Khánh Hòa Province in Vietnam. It serves the city of Nha Trang, which is 30 km (16 NM) from the airport. This airport handled 9,747,172 passengers in 2019, making it the fourth busiest airport in Vietnam, after the ones in Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Da Nang, and one of the fastest growing airports in the country.
This is the only airport in Vietnam that handles more international passengers than domestic passengers, with international passengers accounting for 70% in 2018. It is the fourth busiest airport in Vietnam.
Cam Ranh Terminal 1 is used for domestic flights and Cam Ranh Terminal 2 (managed by Cam Ranh International Terminal (CRTC) JSC) is used for international flights.
Cam Ranh Air Base
In 1972, the base was turned over to the South Vietnamese government. On April 3, 1975, North Vietnamese forces captured Cam Ranh Bay and all of its remaining facilities. From 1979 to 2002, the facility was used by the Soviet and then Russian Air Force because of a 25-year rent-free leasing treaty.
Cam Ranh Airport
On May 19, 2004, after major reconstruction, the airport received its first commercial flight from Hanoi. It now handles all of Nha Trang's commercial flights, which previously headed to Nha Trang Airport. In 2007, Cam Ranh was upgraded to an international airport. In December 2009, Cam Ranh International Airport was opened. The total invested capital is approximately VND 300 billion.
The International Terminal (T2) was officially put into operation on June 30, 2018 after 19 months of construction with a total investment capital of 3.735 billion. Developed and managed by Cam Ranh International Terminal (CRTC) Joint Stock Company, the T2 project came about at a time to inject much needed capacity into the airport operating infrastructure. At the same time, facilities and services were upgraded to match international standards.
Terminal 2 serves more than 80 flights per day at peak season, processing up to 14,500 passengers on a given busy day. CRTC has embarked on capacity enhancement works to further increase its handling capabilities to match to the phenomenal growths. In 2018, T2 serves 21 international airlines with a total of 5.2 million international passengers, the fourth largest airport in Vietnam in terms of international passenger volume.
The airport resides at an elevation of 40 feet (12 m) above mean sea level. The first runway designated 02L/20R with a concrete surface measuring 10,000 by 150 feet (3,048 m × 46 m). The second runway designated 02R/20L was opened in October 2019 with a concrete surface measuring 10,000 by 150 feet (3,048 m × 46 m).
A new passenger terminal of Cam Ranh International Airport started construction in 2007 and was inaugurated on 12 December 2009. The terminal covers an area of 14,000 square metres (150,000 sq ft) with a capacity of 800 passengers (600 domestic and 200 international) per hour. It has two aerobridges.  The terminal was upgraded between 2015 and 2016, increasing its capacity from 1.5 million to 2.5 million passengers annually.
T2 covers a total area of 50,500 square metres (544,000 sq ft), made up of dedicated levels for departure and arrival processing. The terminal building has a unique architecture inspired by the shape of a swallow's nest, native to the Khanh Hoa Province, and the waves of Nha Trang Bay - a signature representation of the South Central Coast. T2 has 4 aerobridges and 10 boarding gates, as well as advanced equipment systems supplied by prestigious international companies.
Airlines and destinations
Cam Ranh was the fourth busiest airport in Vietnam in 2012; it served 1.2 million passengers.
- "TASECO AIRS 2019 BÁO CÁO THƯỜNG NIÊN". Taseco Airs (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 17 January 2020.
- "Bộ trưởng Nguyễn Văn Thể: 'Sân bay Cam Ranh đặc biệt và nổi tiếng khi chiếm 70% lượng khách quốc tế' (Cam Ranh Airport is special since the international passengers accounts for 70% of the total number)". Vietnammoi. 2018-10-09. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- Airport information for VVCR Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- "Chính thức khai thác đường băng số 2 sân bay Cam Ranh - Báo Giao Thông". Báo Giao Thông (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 2019-10-10.
- Thái Bình. "Khách quốc tế bay thẳng đến Cam Ranh". Tuổi Trẻ Online (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 10 July 2022.
- "에어부산, 26일부터 부산~나트랑 노선 부정기편 운항". 서울경제. December 26, 2019.
- "Air Busan adds Busan – Cam Ranh service in W19". Routesonline.
- "Air Busan Updates Seoul International Network Additions from late-May 2022".
- "Air China Adds New SE Asian Routes from July 2016". Routesonline.
- "Air China expand SE Asia network in 1Q18". Routesonline.
- "에어서울, 동계 시즌부터 국내선 사업 진출···"日 노선 대폭 축소"" (in Korean). 28 August 2019.
- "Asiana Airlines adds Cam Ranh/Nha Trang service from Dec 2019". Routesonline.
- "Flights". anextour.com.ua.
- "Từ ngày 05 tháng 8 năm 2020, Bamboo Airways mở thêm 4 đường bay kết nối Cần Thơ". CAAV (in Vietnamese). 4 August 2020. Retrieved 15 September 2020.
- Trung/BNEWS/TTXVN, Trần. "Bnews - Tin tức kinh tế mới nhất, cập nhật 24h". bnews.vn.
- Bamboo Airways to introduce three international flights
- "Lần đầu tiên có chuyến bay Cam Ranh - Macau của Bamboo Airways". vietnambiz. July 15, 2019.
- "Bangkok Airways opens Bangkok – Cam Ranh reservation for Jan 2019 launch". Routesonline.
- "EastarJet expands Vietnam network in Feb 2019". routesonline. Retrieved 18 January 2019.
- "Hainan Airlines adds Guangzhou – Cam Ranh route from Dec 2016". routesonline. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- 深圳新闻网. "海航将在深开通5条国际航线 深圳－奥克兰往返最低仅990元_深圳新闻网". www.sznews.com. Archived from the original on 2016-10-25. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "Loong Airlines adds Xi'An – Cam Ranh route from Nov 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- UBM (UK) Ltd. "Jetstar Pacific Adds New Cam Ranh/Nha Trang – China Charters in W15". airlineroute.net. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "Qingdao Airlines adds Chengdu – Cam Ranh/Nha Trang service in S19". Routesonline.
- Liu, Jim. "Qingdao Airlines adds Lanzhou – SE Asian routes in July 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 July 2019.
- Liu, Jim. "Qingdao Airlines plans new international routes in 4Q19". Routesonline. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "S7 Airlines flight schedule". www.s7.ru. S7 Airlines.
- "Sichuan Airlines adds Xining – Cam Ranh/Nha Trang route in Jan 2019". Routesonline.
- Duy Nhat (28 March 2019). "Dự kiến mở thêm đường bay thẳng từ Cam Ranh tới Hàn Quốc". Khanh Hoa Newspaper (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "T'Way Air adds Daegu – Cam Ranh/Nha Trang service from May 2019".
- "Vietjet Air adds Cam Ranh/Nha Trang – Busan service from July 2019". Routesonline.
- "Vietjet Air adds Cam Ranh/Nha Trang – Da Nang from Sep 2018". routesonline. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- UBM (UK) Ltd. "Vietjet Air Adds Nha Trang – Hangzhou Scheduled Charter Flight July – Oct 2015". airlineroute.net. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "Vietjet Air continues South Korea service expansion in W17". routesonline. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Viet Huong (4 April 2019). "Khánh Hòa khai trương thêm đường bay thẳng đến Đài Bắc". Dau Tu Online (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Vietnam Airlines expands Cam Ranh – China network in W18". Routesonline.
- UBM (UK) Ltd. "Vietnam Airlines Adds Nha Tang – China Routes in S15". airlineroute.net. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "VIETNAM AIRLINES MOVES SINGAPORE NETWORK EXPANSION TO SEP 2022". Aeroroutes. 28 June 2022.
- "Cảng HKQT Cam Ranh: Khai trương đường bay mới Nha Trang - Vinh". Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV) (in Vietnamese). 23 June 2020. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "Vietnam Airlines Adds Nha Trang/Cam Ranh - Beijing from mid-Jan 2016". Airlineroute.net. 31 August 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Liu, Jim (27 April 2020). "Vietnam Airlines to expand Russia network in S20". routesonline.
- "Vietnam Airlines adds new Cam Ranh - China charters in 1Q17". routesonline. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Cam Ranh International Airport (CRIA)". Archived from the original on 2016-01-27.
- "Kết quả sản xuất kinh doanh của ACV: Năm 2015 sản lượng hành khách thông qua cảng đạt trên 63 triệu lượt, tăng 24,2% so với năm 2014". ACV. 2016-01-19. Archived from the original on 2016-01-28.