Camberwell tram depot
Camberwell tram depot shed
in November 2011
|Location||Council Street, Hawthorn East|
|Roads||9 (all in sheds)|
|Rolling stock||17 A2-class
|Routes served||70, 75|
Camberwell tram depot is located on Council Street, Hawthorn East, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. Opened in December 1929, it is operated by Yarra Trams. It is one of eight tram depots on the Melbourne tram network.
In July 1928 the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board (MMTB) approved the acquisition of a number of properties on Camberwell Road, west of Camberwell Junction, in preparation for the construction of a new tram depot. A tender for £31,990 to construct the depot was accepted on 1 November 1928 by the MMTB, with the depot opening in December 1929. The opening of Camberwell depot ushered in a multitude of operational changes in the eastern part of the tram network, including extended hours of tramway operation.
Traffic lights were installed on Riversdale Road, at the entrance to Camberwell depot in 1948, to increase safety. The traffic lights were in response to a large number of near misses, and were activated by trams.
Camberwell tram depot has nine roads, all of which are covered by a single 115 foot single span roof. This is said to increase safety within the depot shed as there are no columns, while also providing better lighting. The depot shed is connected to Riversdale Road by a double track entrance. The staff facilities and offices are in an adjacent building.
The following routes are operated from Camberwell depot:
- "Land for New Tram Depot". The Argus. National Library of Australia. 20 July 1928. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "New Tram Depot". The Argus. National Library of Australia. 2 November 1928. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Changes in Running". The Argus. National Library of Australia. 3 December 1929. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Camberwell Tramways" Trolley Wire issue 147 August 1973 pages 11/12
- "Melbourne's Electric Trams" Trolley Wire issue 307 November 2006 page 11
- "Between the Wars". Yarra Trams. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "In the Suburbs - Earlier Trams From Burwood". The Argus. National Library of Australia. 21 December 1929. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Safety Lights at Tram Depot". The Argus. National Library of Australia. 30 April 1948. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Camberwell Depot". Vivsig. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Yarra Trams" Trolley Wire issue 279 November 1999 page 25
- "COTMA Conference 1982 Melbourne - Camberwell Depot" (PDF). Council of Tramway Museums of Australasia. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Route 70". Yarra Trams. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Route 75". Yarra Trams. Retrieved 31 October 2013.