Cambridge Heath is an area of Bethnal Green in the East End of London. It forms part of the Borough of Tower Hamlets and includes the canal-side walkway of Vyner Street, best known for its street art and galleries.
The earliest recorded use of the name is as Camprichthesheth in 1275.
The Wilkinson Gallery opened on Cambridge Heath Road in 1998 before moving to Vyner Street in 2007. The gallery became known as one of the first in London to have exhibitions by major female artists such as Joan Jonas, Dara Birnbaum and Laurie Simmons. However the Wilkinson Gallery closed in 2017.
By around 2005, Vyner Street had become a hub of the East London art scene. By 2012, however, many artists had moved out due to the effects of the Great Recession as well as the 2012 Olympics. A documentary film was released in the same year titled Vyner Street: this was a short observational piece about two different worlds living inconspicuously and side-by-side in the same place.
As with the whole of Greater London, the Lord-Lieutenant Ken Olisa is the Her Majesty representative for Cambridge Heath but has no political role or hold an office in any political party and is purely an honorary titular position.
The geographical distinction between Cambridge Heath and Bethnal Green is often confused. The two districts have a historical link as part of the same manor, and in the 19th century both formed part of the Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green. This was incorporated into the newly created London Borough of Tower Hamlets in 1965.
Cambridge Heath is part of the wider Regents Canal Conservation Area, established in 2008, the streetside buildings seem neglected but form part of the industrial heritage and character of Vyner Street and also Wadeson Street, which contains a row of three storey Victorian workshops mostly converted to residential use. Both types contribute to the character of the area.
- Gangster No. 1
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
- Fast & Furious 6
- Kingsman: The Secret Service
Cambridge Heath has one school called Mowlem Primary School, which opened in 1887 and was called Mowlem Street School. As the population grew, the school was enlarged in 1898 and changed once again in 1902 for 410 boys and 410 girls. A new single-storey building catering for a total of 280 children was opened in 1971 when it was renamed Mowlem Primary School.
- Private transportation
The neighbourhood main arterial route for motor vehicles and cyclists is the A107 Cambridge Heath Road from Mile End Gate in Stepney and Mare Street from Hackney Central which runs north-south from the two borough boundaries over the Regents Canal. Hackney Road is the main arterial road for Central London.
- Public transportation
London Overground; Cambridge Heath railway station, opened on 27 May 1872 in the southern end of the neighbourhood, is served by Overground Enfield Town/Cheshunt-London Liverpool Street Line.
A number of London Buses contacted routes serve the area, the 26, 48, 55, N26, N55 on Hackney Road which in turn go towards Mare Street, while the 106, 254, 388, D6 and N253 run on Cambridge Heath Road and Mare Street. The D6 finishes and restarts near Ash Grove since 2014.
- London; Engl, Partners is registered in; London, under no 7493460 Registered Office:; Partners; Riverside, 2 More London; London; London, SE1 2RR; London, Partners is the official promotional company for London We promote; Businesses, Attract; events; congresses; students; Capital, Visitors to the. "Regent's Canal, London". visitlondon.com.
- "Vyner Street Exhibition Reviews August 2012". Artlyst.
- Mills, A., Oxford Dictionary of London Place Names, (2000)
- "London's Wilkinson Gallery to Close After Two Decades". www.artforum.com.
- Gleadell, Colin (29 May 2005). "Art sales: building a new art hub" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- Batty, David (6 June 2012). "East End art galleries forced to go west as local scene 'dies'" – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Vyner Street (2012)" – via www.imdb.com.
- "Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London".
- "Rushanara Ali MP". UK Parliament.
- Vision of Britain Archived 10 March 2007 at the Wayback Machine - Bethnal Green MB boundaries
- Cite error: The named reference
towerhamlets.gov.ukwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "Filming Locations for Fast And Furious 6 (2013), in the UK, Canary Islands and Los Angeles". The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations.
- "Filming Locations for Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) in London and the Home Counties". The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations.
- "Mowlem Primary - History". www.mowlem.org.uk.
- Matters, Transport for London. "Cambridge Heath (London) Rail Station". Transport for London. Text " Every Journey" ignored (help)
- "National Rail Enquiries - Station facilities for Cambridge Heath". www.nationalrail.co.uk.
- "Proposed changes to bus routes in Hackney town centre - Transport for London - Citizen Space". consultations.tfl.gov.uk.