South East Cambridgeshire (UK Parliament constituency)
|South East Cambridgeshire|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of South East Cambridgeshire in Cambridgeshire.
Location of Cambridgeshire within England.
|Electorate||82,265 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Ely i//|
|Member of parliament||Lucy Frazer (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Cambridgeshire, Isle of Ely|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
1983-1997: The District of East Cambridgeshire wards of Bottisham, Burwell, Cheveley, Dullingham Villages, Ely North, Ely South, Ely West, Fordham Villages, Isleham, Soham, The Swaffhams, and Woodditton, and the District of South Cambridgeshire wards of Abington, Balsham, Bar Hill, Castle Camps, Coton, Cottenham, Elsworth, Fulbourn, Girton, Histon, Linton, Longstanton, Milton, Over, Swavesey, Teversham, The Wilbrahams, Waterbeach, and Willingham.
1997-2010: The District of East Cambridgeshire wards of Bottisham, Burwell, Cheveley, Dullingham Villages, Ely North, Ely South, Ely West, Fordham Villages, Haddenham, Isleham, Soham, Stretham, The Swaffhams, Witchford, and Woodditton, and the District of South Cambridgeshire wards of Abington, Balsham, Castle Camps, Cottenham, Fulbourn, Histon, Linton, Milton, Over, Teversham, The Wilbrahams, Waterbeach, and Willingham.
2010-present: The District of East Cambridgeshire wards of Bottisham, Burwell, Cheveley, Dullingham Villages, Ely East, Ely North, Ely South, Ely West, Fordham Villages, Haddenham, Isleham, Soham North, Soham South, Stretham, and The Swaffhams, and the District of South Cambridgeshire wards of Balsham, Fulbourn, Histon and Impington, Linton, Milton, Teversham, The Wilbrahams, Waterbeach, and Willingham and Over.
The constituency includes the eastern half of South Cambridgeshire district and the southern part of East Cambridgeshire. Ely is the city, in fact with cathedral city status, and largest community, with many smaller settlements including Burwell, Fulbourn, Isleham, Linton, Milton, Soham and Waterbeach.
Members of Parliament
|1987||Sir Jim Paice||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Conservative||Lucy Frazer [n 3]||28,845||48.5||+0.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Chatfield ||12,008||20.2||−17.5|
|Labour||Huw Jones ||9,013||15.1||+7.5|
|UKIP||Deborah Rennie ||6,593||11.1||+7.4|
|Green||Clive Semmens ||3,047||5.1||+3.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Chatfield||21,683||37.6||+6.2|
|Labour||John Cowan||4,380||7.6||−13.8 [n 4]|
|Christian Peoples||Daniel Bell||489||0.8||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Chatfield||17,750||31.7||+4.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Sal Brinton||13,937||26.9||+1.8|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Sal Brinton||14,246||25.1||+4.8|
|Building a Fair Society||Karl Lam||167||0.3||N/A|
|Natural Law||Peter While||111||0.2||−0.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Ronald Wotherspoon||12,883||20.3||−7.2|
|Natural Law||Bridget Langridge||231||0.4||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|Social Democratic||Peter Lee||15,399||27.5||−2.3|
|Social Democratic||Christopher Slee||14,791||29.8||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- A county constituency (for the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer)
- As with all constituencies, the constituency elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election at least every five years.
- Note: In January 2014 Lucy Frazer, a barrister, was "reaffirmed" as Conservative candidate for South East Cambridgeshire on Friday despite claims that she had been beaten in an open primary by another woman, Heidi Allen, who is the Conservative candidate in the neighbouring constituency, South Cambridgeshire.
- Note: In April 2010 John Cowan was suspended from the Labour Party following controversy over comments he had made which, if elected, would have led to a period as an independent MP. As nominations for candidates had closed, Labour were unable to replace him, nor did he withdraw his candidature. He had previously been expelled from the Liberal Democrats.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- , BBC News
- "The battle of the Tory women: Farcical scenes after 'invalid' vote to select candidate for safe seat". Independent. 12 January 2014.
- Cambridgeshire South East, BBC News
- Percentage changes based on 2005 notional results due to boundary changes
- "Labour axes Muslim row candidate". BBC News. 26 April 2010.
- "General Election 2010: Labour suspends candidate over online messages". The Daily Telegraph. London. 26 April 2010.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- British Parliamentary Election Results 1983-97