The church of Cambrin
|Intercommunality||CA Béthune-Bruay, Artois-Lys Romane|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Odette Duriez|
|1.77 km2 (0.68 sq mi)|
|• Density||680/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||19–31 m (62–102 ft) |
(avg. 30 m or 98 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
A farming and light industrial village some 5 miles (8.0 km) east of Béthune and 18 miles (29.0 km) southwest of Lille, at the junction of the D166 and the N41 roads, by the banks of the small river Surgeon.
The marshes of Cambrin are an area of ponds and swamps bordering the communes of Cuinchy and Annequin. They cover 22 hectares and are open to the public. This natural space is managed by the Nature Conservatory Sites of Nord and Pas-de-Calais.
As fenland, it plays a major ecological function for the water for the town and surrounding area and contributes to reducing the pollution of surface water. The marshes, which had formerly been used to pump cooling water to the power station of Violaines, consists of a vast wooded wetland. The place is so attractive that a discovery trail has been created for visitors to enjoy their natural heritage. Many species of birds may be observed along this path.
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
Places of interest
- The church of Notre-Dame, rebuilt along with the rest of the village, after the First World War.
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemeteries.
- The war memorial, one of seven replicas (in France) of Bartholdi’s Statue of Liberty.
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Conservatoire des Sites Naturels du Nord et du Pas de Calais". Archived from the original on 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2018-11-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cambrin.|
- Official website of the village ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- The CWGC extension to the communal cemetery
- The CWGC military cemetery
- Communauté d'agglomération de l'Artois website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Cambrin on the Quid website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
|This Pas-de-Calais geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|