|Born||Cameron Morrell Douglas
December 13, 1978
|Residence||Bronx, New York|
|Relatives||Kirk Douglas (grandfather)
Diana Dill (grandmother)
Joel Douglas (uncle)
Peter Douglas (uncle)
Eric Douglas (uncle, deceased)
Catherine Zeta-Jones (step-mother)
Early life and family
Douglas is the eldest son of actor Michael Douglas and only child of Diandra Morrell Douglas (née Luker, whom Michael Douglas divorced in 2000), and grandson of actor Kirk Douglas and Bermudian actress Diana Dill. He has appeared in four films: Jackie Chan's Mr. Nice Guy (1997), It Runs in the Family (2003), National Lampoon's Adam & Eve (2005) and Loaded (2008). In It Runs in the Family he appeared together with his father, Michael Douglas, grandfather, Kirk Douglas, and grandmother, Diana Dill.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Kirk Douglas family tree|
Drug dealing and conviction
Douglas has been arrested for drug offenses at least three times. In 1999 he was found with cocaine in Manhattan and was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance. The charge was dropped after he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of disorderly conduct. In 2007 he was charged with felony possession of a controlled substance after police officers found a syringe with liquid cocaine in a car he was in. On July 28, 2009, Douglas was arrested by the Drug Enforcement Administration for possession of 0.5 pounds (0.23 kg) of methamphetamine. Due to the large amount of the drug seized, Douglas was charged with intent to distribute. The charge carries a minimum prison sentence of 10 years and a maximum of life.
On January 27, 2010, Douglas pleaded guilty to both conspiracy to distribute drugs and to heroin possession after his girlfriend had smuggled heroin hidden inside an electric toothbrush and passed it on to him while he was under house arrest.
On April 20, 2010, Douglas was sentenced to five years in prison for both possessing heroin and dealing large amounts of methamphetamine and cocaine out of a New York hotel room. Michael Douglas publicly assumed blame for "being a bad father" but said that without prison intervention, Cameron "was going to be dead or somebody was gonna kill him. I think he has a chance to start a new life, and he knows that."
In October 2011 Douglas pleaded guilty to possessing drugs in prison. On December 21, 2011, he was sentenced to an additional 4-1/2 years in prison for this charge. On April 15, 2013, this extended prison sentence was confirmed by the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
In December 2012 he had his leg broken by another inmate.
In April 2013 Douglas lost an appeal to have his sentence reduced.
Release from prison
On August 1, 2016 Douglas was released early from prison and transferred to a halfway house in New York City after seven years behind bars with two of the seven years in solitary confinement. Cameron Douglas is planning to write a tell-all book about his experiences after being convicted on drug charges, according to Page Six, New York Post which first had word of the 37-year-old’s release.
|1997||Mr. Nice Guy||Giancarlo's Man||Film Debut|
|2003||It Runs in the Family||Asher Gromberg|
|2005||National Lampoon's Adam & Eve||Adam|
|2009||The Perfect Beat||DJ Mojo||Short Film|
- Dougan, Andy (2003). Michael Douglas: Out of the Shadows: The Unauthorised Biography. Robson Books. p. 123.
- Hoffman, Bill (1999-10-28). "Michael Douglas' Son in Coke Arrest". New York Post.
- Liddy, Tom (2009-08-03). "Michael Douglas' Son Arrested for Meth". New York Post.
- "Douglas son to face drugs trial". BBC News. 2009-08-08. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- Tom, Hays (January 27, 2010). "Michael Douglas' son pleads guilty to drug trafficking". Associated Press via Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Michael Douglas' son Cameron sentenced to five years". News.blogs.cnn.com. April 20, 2010. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Michael Douglas's son sentenced to 5 years". Reuters via Yahoo!. April 20, 2013. Archived from the original on April 25, 2010.
- "Michael Douglas and Blame Game for Son Cameron's Jail Sentence". National Ledger. May 4, 2010. Retrieved May 5, 2010.
- "Cameron Douglas pleads guilty to possessing drugs in prison - CNN.com". CNN. October 21, 2011.
- Golding, Bruce (December 21, 2011). "Douglas sentenced to another 4 1/2 years for drug possession". New York Post. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "Cameron Douglas, son of actor Michael Douglas, loses appeal to reduce prison sentence, report says". CBS News.
- "Michael Douglas' son Cameron badly injured in prison, report say - Crimesider". CBS News. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- Hamilton, Brad. "Michael Douglas' son Cameron busted again". New York Post. Archived from the original on April 3, 2015. Retrieved January 20, 2013.
- Finn, Natalie (April 15, 2013). "Michael Douglas' Son, Cameron Douglas, Loses Appeal to Lighten Prison Sentence". E! News. Archived from the original on May 21, 2014. Retrieved June 2, 2013.
- "Michael Douglas' Son Cameron Released From Jail After Nearly Seven Years". US WEEKLY. August 1, 2016. Retrieved April 1, 2016.
- Roger Ebert (25 April 2003). "It Runs in the Family". rogerebert.com.