||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Cameron Andrew McVey (born 11 March 1957), also known as Booga Bear, is a British singer, songwriter and music producer, best known for his work with such musicians as Massive Attack, Portishead, All Saints, Sugababes, Mutya Keisha Siobhan and Neneh Cherry.
McVey grew up in Cockfosters, North London and was educated at Queen Elizabeth's Boys' School, Barnet. In 1983 he fathered a son, Marlon Roudette, with Vincentian artist and designer Vonnie Roudette.
In 1986, as half of duo Morgan-McVey, he released the single "Looking Good Diving", whose B-side "Looking Good Diving with the Wild Bunch" would later be reworked into Neneh Cherry's 1988 single "Buffalo Stance".
McVey met Neneh Cherry in 1987 at Heathrow Airport while they were en route to Japan as fashion models as part of London Designer Ray Petri's Buffalo Posse. The couple wed in 1990; they have two daughters. The family lived throughout Europe. In 1993 they moved near Malaga, Spain and lived there until 1999. Briefly in 1995 they lived in Brooklyn, New York, where they had purchased a home in the Park Slope neighborhood. Soon after moving in, the couple was held up at gunpoint and robbed by a teenage bandit. They headed back to London's Primrose Hill. They migrated to Cherry's native Hässleholm, Sweden, living in the same schoolhouse-turned home (featured in the Homebrew album's artwork) where Cherry was raised.
Neneh Cherry albums
- Blue Lines by Massive Attack (1991)
- All Saints by All Saints (1997)
- One Touch, by the Sugababes (2000)
- How Do You Call It, by Patrice Bart-Williams (2002)
- Revolution in Me, by Siobhán Donaghy (2003)
- Taller in More Ways, by the Sugababes (2005)
- 11th Floor and Lights, by Kitchen Party (2013)
In 2003 McVey along with Paul Simm, Silvio Pacini and Neil Pearson released the self-produced album 162, under the name of Virgin Souls.
In 2006 McVey (under the name Burt Ford) along with Neneh Cherry, Matt Kent (aka Karmil) and Lolita Moon released the album Laylow, as a band called CirKus. In 2008 CirKus (with the same line-up) released their second album Medicine.
- "McVey profile, swedishcharts.com; retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Birth record transcript
Civil registration event: Birth
Name: McVey, Cameron A
Registration district: Wood Green
Year of registration: 1957
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Mother's maiden name: Millward
Page no: 576
- McVey profile, last.fm/music
- El Bosquejo: Arena Homme Plus: Buffalo Stance, part 1
- Mattafix: Brit hip hop in Darfur
- Mattafix: Marlon Roudette profile
- Neneh Cherry profile, buddyx.com
- "Outre risque" at the Wayback Machine (archived October 27, 2009), Neneh Cherry Homepage