Munster in 2014.
13 September 1994 |
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||89 kg (14 st 0 lb)|
|Position||Fullback, Five-eighth, Centre|
As of 5 August 2017
Cameron Munster (born 13 September 1994) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the Melbourne Storm in the National Rugby League. He primarily plays at fullback and five-eighth, but can also play at centre.
Born in Rockhampton, Queensland, Munster played his junior rugby league for the North Knights at five-eighth, before being signed by the Central Queensland Capras in the Queensland Cup. In June 2013, he signed a 2-year contract with the Melbourne Storm. On 21 September 2013, he won the Queensland Cup Rookie of the Year award.
Munster played for the Storm's NYC team in the earlier rounds of 2014 before moving on to the Storm's Queensland Cup team, Eastern Suburbs Tigers. On 18 March, he extended his contract with the Storm until the end of 2017. On 3 May, he played for the Queensland Under-20s team against the New South Wales Under-20s team, playing off the interchange bench in the 30-8 loss at Penrith Stadium. In Round 12 of the 2014 NRL season, he made his NRL debut for the Storm against the North Queensland Cowboys.
In Round 6 against the Canberra Raiders, Munster returned for the Storm, filling in for the injured Billy Slater at fullback and also scoring his first NRL career try in the 14-10 win at Canberra Stadium. From Round 12 onwards after incumbent fullback Billy Slater was ruled out for the rest of the year due to a shoulder injury, Munster stepped up and filled in the vacant position at ease. In Round 22 against the Gold Coast Titans, he scored a hatrick in the Storm’s 36-14 win at AAMI Park. Munster finished his promising 2015 NRL season with him playing in 19 matches and scoring 7 tries for the Storm.
On 12 January, Munster was selected in the QAS Emerging Origin squad. On 31 January, while in the Emerging Maroons camp, he broke curfew and the QRL announced he would be excluded from its representative programs for the next 12 months. On 1 February, he was named in the Storm's 2016 Auckland Nines squad. He started the 2016 season playing at centre in round 1 against the Dragons. Following Billy Slater's season-ending shoulder injury, Munster took over the fullback role. He played fullback in Grand Final loss to the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks.
With Billy Slater set to return Fullback and to action from a shoulder injury which ended his 2016 season (after round 1), Munster was expected to spend time playing Five-Eighth following Blake Green's departure to Manly, in the 2017 season. However with coach Craig Bellamy opted to rest Billy Slater for the opening 2 rounds of the season, Munster filled-in again at Fullback with Ryley Jacks playing Five-Eighth.
When fullback Billy Slater made his return from injury (coming off the bench in the 28th minute) in the Storm's round 3 home game against the Broncos, Munster then took over the Five-Eighth role. Following that round 3 game, he was then ruled out of action with a fracture cheekbone until round 7. He then took back the Five-Eighth role (combining in the team's spine combination with skipper Cameron Smith at Hooker, Cooper Cronk at Halfback and Billy Slater at Fullback), producing a number of great performances.
Following a season-ending shoulder injury to Johnathan Thurston, Munster was selected to make his State of Origin debut playing at Five-Eighth at Suncorp Stadium on July 12. On-debut, he produced an outstanding performance helping QLD to a series win in the 22-6 victory over NSW (during game 3).
|Season||Team||Matches||T||G||GK %||F/G||Pts||W||L||D||W-L %|
|2017*||Melbourne||20||1||12 / 23||52%||0||28||18||2||0||90.00|
* = Unfinished season
- "Cameron Munster - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Badel, Peter. "Cowboys, Eels and Titans chasing Storm’s Cameron Munster". The Courier Mail. News Corporation. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Cameron Munster to start State of Origin decider, Queensland selectors still unsure of utility role
- Smart, Nick. "Cameron Munster happy to give fullback role to Billy Slater as he eyes grand final glory with Storm". Herald Sun. News Corporation. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "CQ's Munster to join NRL after signing Storm contract". Rockhampton Morning Bulletin. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- "Capras' Cameron Munster caps big year off at awards night". Rockhampton Morning Bulletin. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- "LeagueUnlimited NYC Teams - 2014 Round 2 » League Unlimited". Leagueunlimited.com. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- "Melbourne Storm Re-Sign Jesse Bromwich Heading Off Interest from Several Other NRL Clubs". Heraldsun.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "Queensland name Under-20s Origin team". NRL.com. 2014-04-28. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- "Queensland Lock Luke Bateman Suffers Homophobic Slur in NSW's U20s State of Origin Victory". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Late Mail : Round 12". Melbournestorm.com.au. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- "Gritty Wet Weather Performance from Melbourne Storm Denies Brave Canberra". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Roy Ward (2015-05-31). "Melbourne Storm bring in Cameron Munster with Billy Slater to miss Sydney Roosters clash". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "Melbourne Storm Superstar Billy Slater Gives Heir Apparent Cameron Munster Seal of Approval". Heraldsun.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "Cameron Munster Following in Billy Slater's Footsteps". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "Munster Scores Hattrick in Melbourne Storm's 36-14 Win over Gold Coast Titans". Heraldsun.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "Cameron Munster still developing, says Billy Slater". Theage.com.au. 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "Maroons name Emerging Origin squad". NRL.com. 2016-01-12. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Brad Walter. "Valentine Holmes and Cameron Munster banned from Queensland Maroons in 2016". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "Storm name youthful Nines squad". NRL.com. 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2016-03-20.